Welcome to the Barony of South Downs!

The Barony of South Downs is the Atlanta area group of the Society for Creative Anachronism! What’s the Society for Creative Anachronism? It’s a non-profit educational organization started in 1966 that is dedicated to the research and reenactment of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (and other time periods pre-17th century). We welcome anyone who is interested in bringing the past to life with us!

Practice A&S Faire

Pictures by Bjorn Gulharr, from the Wednesday In-Garb Potluck and Practice A&S Faire

15304431_1349045021781147_6129700764600641255_o 15304388_1349049925113990_8227867395578411569_o 15289193_1349044051781244_4650083917677578590_o 15271958_1349044715114511_1689622705285627470_o 15259779_1349048198447496_8280799718615002578_o 15259748_1349047608447555_8372817469637372465_o 15259674_1349044445114538_8439626043851902868_o 15259548_1349044775114505_1752877271183196327_o 15250843_1349047788447537_814815089808137746_o 15250721_1349047525114230_3560625061757159022_o 15235828_1349049368447379_5306618272375763960_o 15219435_1349044468447869_931691408169088855_n

Midwinter A&S update

From Alisandre de la Chapelle, the Event Steward:

Midwinter A&S (February 4, 2017)

Site opens at 8 am, classes begin at 9am. Site closes at 6 pm/after court.

Event Fee: $5 Non-SCA members add $5 surcharge to site fee. No charge for children under 17. Please make checks payable to SCA, Inc. Barony of South Downs.

Event Steward
Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle mka Alison Petrisek
3456 Kiveton Drive,
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
Phone: 678-995-2913
Email: alpetrisek AT gmail DOT com

Reservationist
Lady Zeliha bint Sayyid
mka Leslie Colley
1712 Piper Cir SE,
Atlanta, GA 30316
Phone: 678-622-6229
Email: zeliha.sayyid AT gmail DOT com

Stella Nova
Mistress Serafina Almanni
mka Kimberly Powell
facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups
/175143642890637/

Directions:
From Atlanta, travel I-20W to exit 124 (Villa Rica/UWG). Turn left (West) onto Highway 61. Take Hwy 61 for 12 miles then turn left onto the 166 Bypass. At the 6th traffic light, turn right onto Maple Street/Hwy 166. The University will be on the left.

Additional directions at: westga.edu/index_directions.php.

October Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

5 October 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 4th Wednesday class will feature Italian hemstitching, taught by Lady Alisandre.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting). For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
    • Lots of fighting at Red Tower – will discuss further in post mortem.
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Thank you to all who helped with Gold Key for Red Tower!
    • Are we interested in taking part in ConjurationCon (5 November 2016)?
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions – Name
      • Stella di Silvestri – passed Laurel
    • Court Reports
      • Red Tower – Royal Court
        • Tiberius of Meridies – Sovereign’s Pleasure
        • Sebastiannos Ionnides – Sovereign’s Pleasure
        • Ysabella Lucia Tirado de Aragon – AoA
        • Rebekah Zsido – AoA
        • Magnus Andersson – AoA
        • Camulocaros Bodogenicnos – Meridien Cross
        • Bjorn Gullhar – GoA
      • Red Tower – Baronial Court
        • Bjorn Gullhar – Red Raven
        • Pietro di Conti – Tower Gules
        • Jürgen der Veilfras – Tower Or
        • Juliane de Vivonne – Tower Or
        • Lucien d’Artois – Tower Or
        • Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain – Red Raven
        • Raven Helmsplitter – Heart of South Downs
      • Meridien Grand Tournament – Royal Court
        • Mandin Leon – OVO
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Still waiting on some receipts from Red Tower, so report will be next month
    • Castle Wars – will need to get some lights/lantern for site, esp important for primitive site. Would like to buy 5 (approved by populace)
    • Also need to buy a printer/scanner, hoping to spend ~$100 by the time the new reeve takes over
    • Popups for barony – Maire has a lead on period canvas popups ($68), canvas only. Will need to get poles for them separately (6ft?) Lowe’s 2x2x6; dogbones; ropes, and containers/totes for each. Faire will be submitting a proposal outlining all prices. Looking to get 4 popups. Mikhail has a store in Stone Mountain and sells iron stakes. questions about details (black/blue vs white, costs,etc) Went to a vote (passed nearly unanimously)
  • Their Excellencies
    • Coronation is coming up this weekend – in case anything unfortunate should happen…
    • Other events Their Excellencies will be attending:
      • War of the Wings coming up (12-16 October)
      • Danelaw (22 October)
      • Silver Hammer (22 October)
      • Gatalop (29 October)
      • Panhandle (4-6 November) – Bill Bosch is bringing his smoker (!!!)
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Recent Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Pros
      • No one complained about portapotties!
      • Feast!!!
      • Having feast hall/tent available all weekend to hang out in was a great gathering spot
      • Having rapier and rattan fight side by side
      • Lyst mistresses were awesome!
      • Rattan/rapier team tournament was a ton of fun!
      • Troll was well-organized
    • Cons
      • There was a fair amount of confusion about where things went on Friday (during setup);
      • Communication issues
      • Could use more space between the pavilions and the lyst field for walk space and safety
      • Kids – can we share the responsibility of supervising kids’ activities so everyone can enjoy the event more? Talk to the KMoC to get info for background checks, so more people can volunteer
      • Hand sanitizer in portapotties and more toilet paper
      • Torches at night? If we do this, then they’ll have to be monitored; option: everyone carries lanterns?
      • Solar powered lights in portapotties!! Like Pennsic? We should have them! Snorri (?) will be loaning a set of lanterns for all the portapotties for Castle Wars
      • Trash bags/cans for portapotties (for sanitary supplies, etc)
      • Need plan for trash pickup and site cleanup – better organization needed!

 

Upcoming Events

  • Demo at Darlington School (Rome GA) (21 October 2016)
    • Matthias was contacted about having us take part in a demo for high schoolers at the Darlington School, in conjunction with the Rome Shakespeare Festival. They’re particularly interested in anything late period
    • Event/demo is on a Friday morning (the afternoon before Danelaw), so anyone who can come out to help would be appreciated. Contact Matthias if interested.
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Still need volunteers:
      • Kids’ activities supervisor/coordinator
      • Set up coordinator – Maire volunteered, since she’ll already be onsite (for troll?)
      • Strike coordinator
      • Revel coordinator – does not mean you have to do it yourself, just coordinate
    • Site will open at 4:00pm on Thursday for attendees, set up starts at noon Thursday
    • Maire will be bringing 6 people to help set up, but can use more volunteers as well
    • Castle walls are currently living in Sir Tim’s garage, and he will help get them to site (per Mathias). We need to talk to Tir Briste to coordinate since we share the walls – can we get a neutral storage space for them? Perhaps a storage locker in Macon, and split costs with Tir Briste? or perhaps the Shriners would let us build a shed onsite? After some discussion, Ximon suggested we table the discussion until the next meeting
    • Feast is finalized, 4 courses – one from each of the cultures represented in the fighting scenarios
    • A+S – still collecting info
    • Spinning the hype!
    • There will be a fabulous ball Friday night!
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Site has been confirmed! MWA&S will be held at the University of West Georgia (where RUM and last year’s MWA&S were held)
    • The Meridian Order of the Blade (MoB) wants to do a fundraiser lunch – looking for lunch ideas. Perhaps the Companions of the Argent Rapier (CAR) will be interested in assisting?
  • Bids for Future Events
    • Kingdom Level events for 2017
      • If interested, it’s not too early to get a bid together Artsy Crown? Spring Coronation?
      • Portia is willing to help/autocrat
    • Event dates for 2019 – need to get them on the calendar now (!!!)
      • Midwinter
      • Red Tower

 

Other SCA Business

  • Justina is working on getting a local boy scout and girl scout troop together for an SCA demo; Bam also has a local troop up his way who would be interested. In addition to all the good things that demos do, this could help us get access to some of the local girl scout camps for events.
  • Youth Marshal needs gear, especially armored fighting gear – there is nothing in the loaner kit right now (Charmone)

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Margavati mentioned Abel needs to borrow a popup for western maker faire. He’s also working on something with flintlocks
  • Indian dance festival – Margavati is performing (Jimmy Carter Blvd)
  • Bam – has officially moved back to South Downs! And there was much rejoicing!

 
All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 November 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

September Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 September 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Was informed by Kingdom Chronicler that I need a warrant – His Excellency suggested we discuss sthis further after the meeting.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We had 12 armored fighters at the most recent Sunday practice
    • Looking at adding a Tuesday evening practice at Blackburn to the practice schedule
    • Seeking an Minister/Mistress of the Lyst for Red Tower; Mistress Margala is potentially available, would like to have at least one more MoL as well
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Also seeking MoL for Red Tower – talk to Brendan if interested
    • Janet came by Tuesday evening wanting to learn armored fighting
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
    • We now have a hardworking deputy Webminister, Lord Pietro! yay!
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • DragonCon rocked! Fan table rocked! We had a great response, several potential new recruits
  • Their Excellencies
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Nothing to report
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 4th Wednesday class will be on how to troll an event, and will be taught by THL Maire. This will be just in time for Red Tower!
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)

    • If you wish to give her money for Red Tower, she’ll be happy to take it
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Recent Events

  • DragonCon (1-5 September 2016)
    • New idea from the demo/fan table – we should come up with a dedicated demo box that belongs to the Barony, so we don’t have to clear the table when we need the displayed items for other purposes:
      • A second banner
      • several samples of high-quality work to show off the range of skills we have (and new people can learn/aspire to)
      • Smaller, active demos in front of the fan table could be a good draw – big enough to draw attention, small enough to not block the table or passers-by
      • Posters mounted on foamcore to place in front of the table or hang behind it
      • Projector/laptop to project videos (example: the Scottish Highland dance group’s presentation)
    • We could use more marshals during the parade to help monitor fighters and crowds

 

Upcoming Events

  • Demo at Darlington School (Rome GA) (21 October 2016)
    • Matthias was contacted about having us take part in a demo at the Darlington School, in conjunction with the Rome Shakespeare Festival. They’re particularly interested in anything late period
    • Event/demo is on a Friday morning, so anyone who can come out to help would be appreciated. Contact Matthias if interested.
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Matthias contacted Siegfried in Bryn Madoc about possibly helping out with site heralding, as we still need someone. Is waiting for a respsonse.
    • Fundraiser lunch will be offered out to non-South Downs groups:
      • The Welcome Home group was suggested (Dalla Dyrfinna)? Matthias will reach out to Dalla
      • House Excelsior is already planning to do a fundraiser, so they probably won’t be interested
    • Feastcrat – the current iteration of the feast has been posted on the Facebook event page
    • Classes @ Red Tower – 16 class slots available in the schedule, 8 have been taken; if you’re interested in teaching a class, please contact Veronica. She will be posting the schedule soon.
    • Travelers’ fare – Maire will be taking care of Travelers’ fare Friday evening, and will cook enough to have leftovers available for Saturday breakfast.
    • Archery targets?
    • Tournaments at Red Tower (all with rapier and armored fighting):
      • Red Tower Tourney
      • Baroness’ prize
      • Third tourney – perhaps joint rapier and armored teams?
    • Pottycrat – Jürgen and a second person have volunteered – thanks!
    • Mistress Margala and Julianne will MoL the armored tourneys
    • Zerafina has volunteered to be the liaison for the Royal entourage
    • Mistress Allesandra has volunteered to be the Kid Wrangler
    • The Shire of Depedale will be loaning us a pavilion, and Master Geoffrey is loaning us benches (for feast?)
    • Should we have a handicapped gentle liaison? If not for Red Tower, then perhaps we should consider adding it to the list of volunteers for future events
    • We will be reusing site tokens from previous events for Red Tower
    • Still need volunteers for to coordinate waterbearing, as well as a merchantcrat
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Planning moves apace
    • Pietro is working on a temporary website
    • Still need someone to organize revel
    • Ideas for site tokens:
      • Possible leftovers from Red Tower?
      • Master Ximon suggested buying tokens in bulk from Chinese online vendors
      • Sir Iazzie suggested along the same line, buying old Russian coins in bulk would be both gentle on the budget and consistent with the event theme
    • We have reservations!
    • Maddie will be feastcrat
    • Veronica announced that she needs people to teach classes! Contact her if interested
    • There is a Facebook group for Artisans’ Row vendors
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Lady Allesandre has submitted a bid – MWA&S to be held at University of West Georgia (where RUM and last year’s MWA&S were held). Bid passed financial committee (yay!)
    • HRH Bart has asked Sir Tim to host a College of War the same weekend as Midwinter A&S, in Alabama (Montgomery?). This will be within the 200-mile radius for events, but it should be OK
    • If we focus our event on arts and sciences, could we do a long workshop option on Sunday, taking a specific class/topic more in-depth?

 

Other SCA Business

  • Based on previous reports from the Reeve, we have approximately $12,000 in the baronial bank account; how would we like to prioritize spending some of it?
    • Serving ware
    • Items for the demo box
    • Dedicated troll supplies set
    • It was suggested that we set up a survey to make recommendations in more detail. What do we need? How much would such an item cost? Survey will go on Facebook, baronial website, and the Yahoo! group.

 

Non-SCA Business

  • For those who attended DragonCon, your badge will get you a 50% discount at the Center for Puppetry Arts (through the end of September)

 
The business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 5 October 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Practice A&S Faire!

From Mistress Alessandra Fioravanti:

On the 5th Wednesday in November (11/30/16) the Laurels of South Downs will be offering a Practice A&S Faire in conjunction with Garb and Potluck night.

If you have considered entering A&S this is your chance to get feedback in a format similar to entering A&S Faire, but no pressure! Bring your finished or in-progress entries, with documentation, and a panel of Judges will give you feedback on how to improve your entry for an actual A&S Faire. Complete with judging forms to help you get a feel for the process. Conveniently, this is just before Magna Faire!

This is 6 weeks from today, so you have plenty of time to start something if you haven’t begun an entry already.

In addition to practice entering, you can also shadow judge or take a shot at judging an entry yourself! Get a feel for what it’s like to be a judge by giving a critique on a provided finished A&S project.

If you plan on bringing an entry it would be helpful if you could send me a PM.

Painting pennons!

Photos by Lorenzo, from Wednesday project night.

161012-project-night-1
161012-project-night-2 161012-project-night-3 161012-project-night-4
161012-project-night-5 161012-project-night-6 161012-project-night-7
161012-project-night-8 161012-project-night-9 161012-project-night-10
161012-project-night-11 161012-project-night-12

Wednesday project night

From Stella di Silvestri:

The meeting this week [ed. note: 12 October] is a group project meeting! Yay!

This month, we’re going to paint pennants with your personal arms (if you have them) or the Baronial arms so that we can proudly display our populace at Castle Wars and future events!

Fabric and paints will be included, and the pennants will be sewn at home.

We are in the small room in the back. If there’s not enough table space, we may move this project to next month.

Sunday practice

161009-rapier-training Brendan de Hay shows interested newcomers Sammy and Chance the basics of fencing.

Scenes from Red Tower 2016

Photos by Bjorn Gulharr; many more in his Facebook album.

161001redtower5

161001redtower4

161001redtower9

161001redtower8

161001redtower7

161001redtower6

161001redtower12

161001redtower10

161001redtower3

161001redtower2

161001redtower1

161001redtower13

Gaming at Red Tower

From Sir Geoffrey, Owner of the Cock and Feather Gaming Tavern:

On this coming Friday Eve, at Red Tower, we shall once again have the Cock and Feather Gaming tavern awaiting your arrival. I invite you to arrive early, and set your camp. Fill thy mug and come forth to spend a wonderful evening of gaming with friends in a lively tavern!!! Once again our focus shall be more on the games of chance that allow multiple players to join into one game, so that it shall be easier for all to meet and make new friends… and then win from them all of their monies!!! (Don’t worry…. I will give you more monies!!!)

We will have Knuckle bones, Teetotum, and several dice games out on the tables throughout the evening, however, the normal games such as 9 man morris, tafle, or Adre will also be available for play, so if you have a favorite, don’t worry…. it will be there!

I will see you all on Friday eve!!!

 Page 1 of 7  1  2  3  4  5 » ...  Last »