South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 August 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Annaliese Wolf – name/device at Laurel (3nd month – post-commentary)
      • Stella di Silvestri – device at Laurel (2nd month of commentary)
      • Juliane de Vivonne – badge at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Porcia Secunda – name at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Lucien d’Artois – badge x2 at Kingdom
      • Konrad Windhorn – name at Kingdom
    • Court Report
      • RUM:
        • Mara Palmer – Broken Bow
        • Stella di Silvestri – Guiding Hand
      • Arabian Nights:
        • Mathias Blackett – Kingdom Bard
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • 6-8 armored fighters at Sunday practices
    • Joint fighters practice with Owls Nest continues to go well
    • We have one new youth fighter (yay!)
    • Mairghread has requested $200 for additional loaner gear
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • July practice hosted ~22 archers
    • Royal round was held at practice
    • Update on acquiring loaner and baronial gear: we’ve only had to buy 3 bows
    • We have two new marshals in training
    • If interested in shooting archery at foxes, please contact Mistress Mara; if you are taking part in other tournaments during the event, please be aware there’s a lot of waiting around between archery rounds
    • For more information about archery in Meridies, please check out their website
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
    • Everyone is encouraged to sign up for DragonCon and take part in the parade!
    • Stella made up some baronial business cards for distribution at demos, etc., which should arrive Monday
    • We’ve had several new people come to events and practices recently
    • Stella is still looking for a deputy chatelaine, in charge of demos – if interested, please contact her
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • We have some money! yay!
    • We are spending a lot of money so we have to be careful, especially with the event season and our several events coming up this fall
    • Everything is paid up till the end of the year. With the site location changing for Castle Wars, we need to be extra careful with funds until we know more about how the change will impact the budget
    • Mara mentioned that she’s still running way below budget with archery needs.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • The July A+S class night was on making viking aprons, and taught by Lady Juliana
    • This month’s class, on how to event steward, will be presented by Mistress Jadi. She plans to set up the class as a roundtable featuring participants who have extensive experience in event stewarding from both inside and outside the barony, who can provide a variety of viewpoints and experiences on event stewarding. Ximon volunteered. This is would normally be held on the 4th Wednesday, but there are schedule conflicts, so please stay tuned.
    • This month will be our 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck – everyone is welcome!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Updated the Knight Marshal page
    • We need to add a Live Weapons Marshal page, now that we have a live weapons program
    • New profiles for Aidan MacKay, Konrad, Mairghread, and Piers have been added
    • His Excellency added the new baronial awards page to the website
    • Red Tower event page was updated
    • Castle Wars event page updated – the Castle Wars page includes a downloadable pre-registration form; it was agreed that the Red Tower page should also have a pre-reg form
    • Fighter practice page/schedule has been updated and expanded
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a barony (huzzah!)
    • Do we want to sponsor something at Meridian 40 Year? We should discuss and let Countess Thorkatla know.
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Their Excellencies
    • Their Excellencies have received several recommendations for the new baronial awards! The populace is encouraged to write more!
    • They also encourage the populace to write more recommendations for deserving gentles for all sorts of awards for upcoming events! Check the OP if you aren’t sure if someone has a particular award
    • Their Majesties are already putting the list together for Castle Wars
    • Foxes!
      • Her Excellency would love to sponsor several teams for the tournaments at Foxes – rapier, armored, and archery (team names: Adela’s Special Snowflakes? unless there’s only one team in a particular tournament, then they’ll become The Snowflakes?).
      • Her Excellency will be working on new tokens this weekend – everyone is invited to help (silk banner painting practice!)
      • There should be several rapier and armored teams – yay!

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • Lady Emmelina created a lovely flyer for the event – look for it in the upcoming kingdom newsletter
    • A pre-registration form and a Google doc for a signup list are in the works
    • Site visit planned for tomorrow (3 August)
    • Volunteers needed:
      • Herald(s)
      • Head troll
      • Pottycrat
      • Royal liaison
      • 2 list mistresses
        • (updates)Rapier covered per wistric
        • Serafina will do armored list
      • Hall steward (Mathias volunteers)
      • Children’s activities?
      • Travelers’ fare
      • Cleanup Royal site Sunday
    • Owl’s Nest is taking care fundraiser lunch; we will do fundraiser lunch @ Crossroads
    • Feast – THL Mariana is working on recipes, menu will be pinned down this weekend
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • Flyer should be ready this weekend for submission to PopChiv
    • Most staff taking care of, just needs landcrat and heralds
    • Site map has been sent to Their Majesties so we can determine where they want their camp to be
    • Need donations for volunteer raffle
    • Lucien needs volunteers for troll
    • Maire said we need heaters and lights for troll
  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton
    • Portapotties reserved
    • Event flyer about to go out
    • Everything is going smoothly
    • We (South Downs) will be the ones handling insurance
      • Maire mentioned that insurance for a group is taken care of for the first event of the year that group does

SCA Business

  • Mathias said there had been mention of 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck including some SCA dancing or bardic performances. He would be interested in getting some people together to do some commedia?
  • Ximon needs to talk with the reeve to get the check to cover the loaner rapier armor we bought from Tina (and the youth combat helm)
  • Sir Iazzie: The castle walls need repair/replacement (“rapier uses the walls, armored abuses the walls”).
    • Wants to talk to Sebastionnos about repairing/building a new wall and see how much it would cost.
    • We also need a gate of our own; with a second gate and repaired walls, we could do 2 castles for fighting scenarios.
    • Repairs very important, but we really do need *additional* wall pieces.
    • Hopefully we can store the walls and gates at the Shrine – currently they’re at His Highness’.
    • Can we get together with Tir Briste to help out with walls?
    • Fundraising idea – donate X$ to wall, maybe get your device on a wall? :-)
  • His Excellency is going to test out new rope and stake wall for meridies royal encampment at pennsic
  • Lucien reminded everyone about the 2nd mini business meeting, possibly starting in August to help keep track of upcoming events (thru Midwinter A+S), to take place 3rd Wednesday of each month
  • After tonight’s meeting, we will meet for Baronial Chivarly / Heart of South Downs awards

Non-SCA Business

  • Lady Juliana suggests parking ideas for DragonCon. Parking Panda allows you to buy reserved parking spaces for much cheaper than public parking.
  • Other parking ideas;
    • Parking at the Cathedral for $20/day
    • Buy a monthly pass at the International Center parking garage for $120; pass is good for a full month, so if you need to park downtown at other times during September, it can be a good deal.

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 September 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Filed under: Castle WarsDragonconEventsFighter PracticesMeeting MinutesRed TowerUncategorized

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!