Category Archives: Announcements

October Mini-Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Mini-Meeting

17 October 2018, 7:30pm

Celebrity Guest Meeting Space – Cathedral of St. Philip

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Red Tower Post-Mortem

  • Lady Veronica da Lucca and Lord Mark de Wytteney, co-autocrats thanked everyone who worked on Red Tower – the event was awesome!
  • Veronica especially thanked all the staff and volunteers who rocked even in the brutal heat
  • We’ve already booked the site for next year
  • Comments and Observations
    • The people who had said they were going to do Friday night traveler’s fare couldn’t make it at the last minute, and it didn’t get covered in time. We will come up with alternate plans for future events, to make sure such offerings are covered
    • Several people mentioned that we could use more signs for that site (Camp Rutledge at Hard Labor Creek State Park), as they thought they had gotten lost (especially once they got to the unpaved section). “Is that a banjo? No, a hurdy-gurdy. Burma shave.”
    • Having trash cans on the field would be great, but everyone took great care of the lyst field – it was left crazy clean! The park rangers complimented us on how clean we left the site
    • The bathroom staff should be on site as early as possible to double-check the bathrooms and showers, to make sure they are suitably clean and stocked (especially with hand soap and paper towels)
    • Wistric asked if the two portapotties on the lyst field were sufficient – everyone seemed to think they were; perhaps add a hand wash station on the field?
    • Having a checklist for baronial supplies for each bin would make packing up a lot easier. Lucien said he’s already working on it, and the checklists should be ready by Castle Wars
    • It was suggested that Pietro should post the inventory on the baronial website so everyone knows what we have
    • We should make sure we have plenty of propane included
    • Sunday morning – the site closes at 10:00am, so we should have more voice heralds to nudge attendees; we should also announce the closing time more frequently throughout the day and at court
    • An additional checklist should be created for closing up cabins – perhaps posted in each cabin at the beginning of the event
    • Landcrat/crittercrat
      • Wasp spray would be helpful
      • The site should be checked for fire ants (again) before the site opens – there were some problems on the lyst field with them
    • Lots of praise for the live weapons set up – they felt part of the overall fighting, as opposed to isolated from the rest of the action
    • Lots of praise for lots of fighting – fighting all day long, even in the heat
    • Water on the field was handled pretty well, but others mentioned that we should have 3 water barrels per marshal space and one in the hall, as water started to run out on the field
    • Need to work the parking pass situation out – the site balked at the request for 100 parking pass Friday morning, and only gave 50 to the troll on Friday. Perhaps try to acquire them a few days in advance
    • Should we get golf carts for the site?
    • This had been investigated previously for Castle Wars, and the price they got was $1000 to rent a couple of golf carts
    • Ximon suggested that if we paid him $100, he’d happily shuttle people back and forth from the field to the hall
    • The idea of a shuttle person as one of the staff could be a really good idea/alternative to golf carts, actually
    • Bloody Ridge was really happy to have the opportunity to do the fundraiser lunch, but the logistics became difficult because the lunch area was back at the hall and therefore far from the field (where most of the people were). Suggestions were made to have a takeaway option or delivery option to the field? However, unless we run the fundraiser lunch ourselves, we can only make recommendations
    • The Gods Quest was a big success, especially for the kids
    • Her Excellency mentioned that she was also pleased with the set up of archery and live weapons, allowing them to feel much more a part of the overall fighting, and the Gods Quest – it would be great to do a similar quest for future events; having the Quest printed on the event flyers was a great idea
    • Her Excellency suggested that we might want to consider:
      • Having trash bags available at Troll for each cabin to pick up at check in
      • Making sure breakfast was provided to TRHs – their entourage is supposed to be in charge of that
      • Extending a special invitation to Master Evan to bring his book collection to a special scriptoria at a future event
      • Thinking about how to better use our baronial banners
      • Include in event staff dedicated people to help set up and take down baronial and kingdom pavilions
      • Encouraging an A+S class schedule for Red Tower – there were people who chose not to attend because there was a lack of classes
        • Veronica mentioned that there had been an executive decision to focus on fighting, but we also need volunteers to teach classes – please don’t wait for others to set up classes
    • Revel – Veronica thought it went really well, but there was some confusion about whether it was “official.” The alternate, family-friendly revel never really happened, but it was a good idea and should be planned earlier and advertised more to get a good turnout.
    • Minister of Children staff – if anyone is interested in volunteering, it would be a great help to the staff, as the kids groups could then be split up with the two credentialed leaders. Lady Melusine will investigate what (if any) background checks will be necessary for secondary volunteers, and how many credentialed people will be needed per number of volunteers.
    • Feastcrats need to make sure that they have their own supply of dish soap for this site, as it is not provided
    • The Barony has acquired a supply of new dishes and other kitchen supplies that need to be labeled. These will be brought to December’s project night so everything can be properly labeled and added to the inventory
    • Storage load out on Friday went really well. Lucien noted that moving forward, there will no longer be vehicle access to the storage facility, so we should look at cart options (perhaps at Costco?) to help get supplies into and out of the storage unit
    • The Barony is also considering moving to another storage facility, priorities being vehicle access and climate-controlled units
    • The event site has terrible coffee makers; we thought we had Baronial coffee makers, but apparently they died at a previous event. A voice vote was taken to replace the coffee makers (because coffee!)
    • In response to the issues surrounding the 10:00am site closing on Sunday, it was explained that this is because of the ranger schedule
    • Exchequer report:
      • Assuming all numbers are correct, our income was $4,217.98; with expenses totaling $3,166.63, our net profit was $1,051.35.

Castle Wars Business

  • Her Majesty has requested that the White Rose Ball be held at Castle Wars
    • There is some clarification needed about how this will be funded – from the Roses’ budget, or the Castle Wars event budget?
  • Lady Juliane still needs volunteers:
    • A hall steward
    • Someone to run the regular revel
      • Wistric talked to Duke Sinclair of Atlantia about bringing his tavern again to Castle Wars, and if so, we can do the revel there. We still ahve $355 from the Artsy Crown fundraiser lunch for a booze budget
    • For contributions to the volunteer raffle
  • How many war points will there be? Looking at five war points

Other SCA Business

  • Baronial nominations!
    • Piers Simmons nominated Sir Iastreb and THL Mariana
    • Lord Farouq nominated Master Wistric and Mistress Sunneva
    • Duke John nominated THL Lucien and Lady Juliane
  • Iazzie asked if the Barony had spoken to the Crown about the polling process. His Excellency mentioned that we are working under a compressed timeframe now, so we have talked to TRM to move the polling schedule more quickly than usual. It is important that anyone who wants to vote makes certain they have confirmed their ZIP code is within the Baronial boundaries or have otherwise followed the rules to be included in the voting
  • They are currently deciding whether ballots will be mailed or if polling will be at the meeting – it is important that as many people can be reached/included as possible
  • Current timeline includes having the investiture at Midwinter A+S
  • Polling should be mailed in early November, but it will be up to TRM when the decision will be made
  • TRM will ultimately choose whoever they want – this is a polling (where they take into consideration the views of the Baronial populace), not a vote in the usual sense
  • We will hold a Q+A for the candidates during the November business meeting (7 November)

With no other business, Lucien closed the meeting and dinner plans were discussed.

PLEASE NOTE: Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 November 2018, at the Doraville Civic Center, 3770 Central Avenue, Doraville, GA. We will meet at the usual time, Wednesday 7-9pm.

–Raven

In-Person Polling at Upcoming Meetings

From the Honorable Lord Mark de Wytteney, Deputy Seneschal:

Polling for non-resident members of the Barony of South Downs, for the determination of our next Baron and Baroness, will occur on two dates – the first will be this Wednesday, December 5th. The second will be a week later, on Wednesday, December 12th. Polls will be overseen by me, his Excellency Lorenzo, and one non-officer volunteer from the Barony. We will check to make sure that all polled are on approved non-resident member list. His Grace, Duke Thomas, shall act as proctor for the Kingdom Seneschal.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

  • To be able to poll, you must have met the polling requirements and be on the non-resident member list. If you weren’t on the list as of the October 17th deadline, then you will not be able to poll.
  • Resident members of South Downs (those living within the established zip codes of the Barony) will be mailed ballots and do not need to vote in person.
  • HIGH IMPORTANCE: a member CANNOT consider themselves part of multiple groups. If you live in and are an active participant in another group, you can not be considered a member of South Downs for polling purposes.

We hope that by providing two days for in person polling, we can provide everyone eligible the ability to have their voice heard by the Crown. Please be aware that non-resident members will not receive a ballot by mail, nor will they be able to mail in their ballots. You must be present at the Baronial meeting on either the 5th or the 12th to have your ballot counted.

We will also accept polling at the South Downs Fighter Practice on Sunday the 9th.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me here or via email at seneschal AT atlantasca DOT org.

Baronial Polling

At the October business meeting Their Excellencies announced they will be stepping down.

This triggers the process for a polling for new baronage. We will be conducting this process over the next couple of months.

To be eligible to vote on the polling, you must be either:

A paid member living in the zip codes of South Downs (this link will take you to the Kingdom Atlas page where you can search for your zipcode to determine whether or not it is part of South Downs: http://www.meridies.org/atlas/kingdomatlas.htm)

OR

A Non-Resident Member, which is a paid member living outside the zip codes with a record of activity within South Downs (defined as attending eight baronial activities in the last year, with six of those in the last six months). Non-resident Members must submit their request to receive a polling to the office of the seneschal (preferably by e-mailing seneschal AT atlantasca.org) at or before the October 17th business meeting (NB: If you are finding out about this from the website, the deadline for you is October 24th – please notify the seneschal when you submit your request).

At the business meeting on October 17th (At the Cathedral of St. Philip in Atlanta), we will take nominations for candidates.

To be eligible to be nominated you must be either a paid member living in the zip codes of South Downs, or a non-resident member as defined above. Further, you must have been an active participant within the barony for the last 3 years.

The list of candidates, and the non-member residents, will then be provided to the kingdom seneschal’s office, which will assemble the polling packets for mailing.

At the November 7th meeting we will hold a Q&A session for the candidates. You should also begin to receive your pollings in the mail around this time. At that point we’ll know the rest of the timeline for the polling process (when your completed ballots should be mailed back, when we can expect an announcement from Their Majesties).

The new baronage will be invested at Midwinter Arts and Sciences festival.

Yours,
The Seneschallate

Relevant policy documents:
Baronial Succession Policy

Corpora, Kingdom Law, and Kingdom Seneschal’s Handbook on the Kingdom Seneschal website

Society Seneschal’s Handbook

A&S Class Schedule

The Barony has an Arts and Sciences class night once a month! This is our upcoming schedule:

Date Teacher Subject
February 28 Ximon Martillo de Cordoba Break Apart Banner Pole Making, Part 1
March 28 Juliane de Vivonne How to Run a Lyst
April 25 Stella di Silvestri Patterning Korean Socks
March 23 Mathias Blackett Commedia dell’Arte/Improv Workshop
June 27 Justina di Silvestri Intro to Poisons and the Macabre
July 25 Caterina Angelica Galilei PayPal class
August 22 Zhelana Vovkivna Drawing Celtic Knotwork
September 26 (TBD)
October 24 (TBD)
November 28 Maren Andersdatter History of Bookbinding

If you’d like to teach an A&S class, please use this form or contact Mistress Sunneva de Cleia!

December 2017 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

6 December 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Lady Stella’s device registered at Laurel
      • Lady Juliane’s badge rejected and resubmitted to Laurel
      • Mistress Margavati is next
    • Awards – Castle Wars
      • Peryn Rose Whitehorse – King’s Lancer
      • Pietro di Conti – Companion of the Argent Rapier
      • Piers Simmons – Falcon’s Faith
      • Mairghread Wilson – Falcon’s Faith
      • Justina di Silvestri – Phoenix’s Spark
      • Stella di Silvestri – Swan’s Grace
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Practices are going well, especially Sundays at Liane Levetan Park. Recently,
      turnout has been hit-or-miss because it’s now event season
    • Tuesdays have been hit and miss, Owl’s Nest fighters don’t come out consistently
    • We have two more youth fighters! yay!
    • Definitely getting a strong response with youth fighters
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them, Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, temporarily moved to Blackburn Park due to the lighting situation at Liane Levetan. We’re averaging 2-12 people.
    • We are still waiting for updates from Liane Levetan Park about the lighting situation and work order
    • Thanks to all who’ve helped cover marshaling practices while Ben is working!
    • For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • Practices are still going strong! We’ve been averaging 10 shooters at practice
    • We now have both 10- and 20-yard target ranges
    • We have youth archery!
    • Our next practice is Sunday, 17 December – for more info, check out our website
    • Still waiting to hear about practice dates for 2018 –
      our hosts are trying to coordinate their scout calendar. Stay tuned!
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
    • If you haven’t joined the South Downs Facebook group, do so! It’s the best place to keep up with what’s happening in the Barony
    • We’ve had some new people show up to the Barony 🙂
      Be nice and welcome them!
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • Welcome to Mistress Sunneva, our new A+S Officer!
    • There is now a Google Docs spreadsheet posted on the Baronial Facebook group where you can sign up to teach a class in 2018
    • Midwinter A+S is the next event on the Baronial calendar. Sunneva will post a signup sheet to teach at Midwinter on the Baronial Facebook group soon – stay tuned!
  • Reeve (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • We have money! Not sure exactly how much (so soon after Castle Wars), so no more spending until he figures it out
    • We had a small profit from Crown List – everything was budgeted and spent well, but expenses were higher because of the site, and attendance was less than usual for this type of event
    • After Kingdom took their split, and the rest of the profits were split among the three hosting groups, we made ~$166
    • Lady Juliane suggested that perhaps we don’t go outside of Georgia for our event sites
    • We also had a lower turnout than usual for Castle Wars (adults, 479??) but a lot of kids (brought total number up to 529). However, kids aren’t counted for event purposes, per Kingdom law. Usually we’re at 700.
    • Expenses were also higher – even though the SCA doesn’t charge for kids, kids are charged a park fee (which we ultimately cover).
    • For the next two years, Castle Wars will be held at the Al Sihah Shrine Temple in Macon, which will cost us less
    • Spending was also careful and well done. Expenses totaled $7124, and we made a profit of $2808. This is lower than in the past but we still came out ahead.
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updated:
      • Have continued to update the populace pages
      • Updated several titles
      • Updated Castle Wars map and photos
      • Updated event calendar
      • Setup Midwinter A+S pre-registration page
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • The Baronial Newsletter (“The Read Tower”) has been published! Yay! Thanks to all who contributed to the issue, and for everyone’s patience as I got this inaugural issue done
    • (Please note: this part is more detailed than the original officer report 🙂 ) Will begin working on the Winter issue after the holidays. I’m looking for the following content; I want to highlight what we, the populace of the Barony do, and what we find fun about the SCA:
      • Officers’ column: each Baronial officer has a column where they can describe what they do, what’s cool about what you do as that officer, and anything (events, practices, etc) you want to publicize. Roughly 500 words (a page or two?)
      • Guild reps: again, you have a space where you can let the populace know what you do, why you find it cool, and what your Guild has going on. And again, roughly 500 words would be great
      • Articles I’d like to have written, 500-750 words (ish); if you’d like to write an article, please let me know and we’ll chat:
        • Reveling at Castle Wars: one of the things that makes Castle Wars special, the camping and reveling; article and photos
        • Presentation (?) Herald at Crown: what it’s like to process with a combatant at Crown and announce them at the beginning of the tournament?
        • Rapier activity beyond the world of the SCA (SERFO/HEMA) (thanks, Brendan de Hay!)
        • Class handouts, recipes, etc. – please include images (I can scan if necessary), and a writeup introducing the material
        • Artwork and photos – again, I can scan artwork if necessary
    • Thank you all! I hope you enjoyed the issue
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We need to develop an event site database; look for sites for different kinds and sizes of events
    • Updated Con database
    • We need to start looking for a new meeting site – good parking, decent meeting room. Perhaps a pub? Coffeehouse?
  • Their Excellencies
    • Christmas party at Their Excellencies! You all should come! 16 December. Please carpool if you can, as parking may be somewhat limited. Please check out the Baronial FB group or the event site for more details.
      • Dirty Santa ($20 limit)
    • Thanks to everyone for Castle Wars! Everyone helped through the weather, much appreciated
    • Please write more award recommendations – specific person, specific reasons. All awards! Kingdom *and* baronial!

Upcoming Events

  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • We have a site! University of West Georgia (not Little Tallapoosa, Mathias!)
      • University of West Georgia changed their scheduling – classes don’t get scheduled there until the very end of the semester, so getting the site confirmed was tough. It might be a good idea to find another site
    • The Meridian Order of the Blade will sponsor a fundraiser lunch of a variety of chilis and stews. Will need crockpots.
    • Mistress Sunneva is in charge of classes -if you want to teach, talk to her
    • THL Andreva and Lord Farouk will do the royal luncheon.
    • Lord Piers will head up troll, with help from Lords Lucien and Pietro
    • Juliane is co-autocrat
    • Need merchantcrat
    • Katerina from Owls Nest has offered to do PayPal for pre-reg, but we have some fees that need to be taken care of from Castle Wars and Crown before we can get PayPal cleared
    • Library again? wasn’t utilized much last year, although the idea was cool.
    • There will not be a heraldic consultation at MWA+S unless someone volunteers, but there will be one at 40year
  • Cub Scout Demo (25 January 2018)
    • At the University Heights Methodist Church, at 7:00pm
    • We’ve been invited by special request of the Cubmaster (again!) 🙂 The Cubmaster is a big DragonCon and photography aficionado
    • Each den provides a speaker for one meeting each year, this den has a theme of knights in shining armor, etc., and they’ve loved having us over in past years
  • Artsy Crown (26-29 May 2018)
    • Sir Iazzie is submitting a bid
    • Would be held at the Al Sihah Shrine in Macon
  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018)
    • Do we have a site?
    • Andreva is putting together a bid

SCA Business

  • Castle Wars Post-Mortem
    • It went really well – everyone helped so much
    • What could have gone better:
      • Made a mistake with rapier marshal, had tournaments instead of melee
      • Parking can be moved to the other side
      • Portapotties can be moved to better places
      • Troll – receipts need to be given to every single person; this is a rule that changes depending on kingdom seneschal
      • Merchants complained about where they were placed
      • Merchants should be closer to artisans row
      • Bigger bottles of hand sanitizers at portapotties that aren’t soap
      • If we have an event at Mackintosh again we need to keep in mind “Lake Mackintosh” from past years (rain) and how that may impact site layout
      • Shrine – keep on top of fire ants
      • Mairghread commented on calibration issues in the fighting, recommends that MiC brief fighters ahead of time on Meridian calibration standards.
      • Make sure your rapier and armored marshals get along
      • we need to figure out how to deal with the castle walls. Ximon suggests a 25ft Uhaul truck to carry all the things.
    • What went well (yay!):
      • The revel space was a great idea, even beyond the weather issues – where can the revel take place at the shrine?
      • Yay Stella for running camp! And keeping everyone caffeinated!
      • Camp kitchen rocked!
      • Ximon mentioned how much he likes Mackintosh
      • Thanks to Wistric for making sure all the things got done; he pointed out that Lucien is the man for everything he took care of
      • heater and pavilion for troll was awesome

    Non-SCA Business

    • Margavati brought a bunch of stuff she’s clearing out from her house

    Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 3 January 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

    –Raven