Category Archives: Castle Wars

July 2018 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

11 July 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Officer Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Events – Legends
      • Lord Lucien D’Artois – Grant of Arms
      • Lady Mairghread Wilson – Argent Shield
      • Sable of South Downs – Award of Arms
    • Submissions registered at LOAR
      • Lady Juliane de Vivonne – badge
      • Master Mathias Blackett and Mistress Mara Palmer – joint badge; household name was returned
      • Ruqayah al-Zarqa – device change
    • Submissions in Society Commentary
      • Jurgen der Vielfrass – new name and device
      • Quintus Valerius Gracchus – new name and device
      • Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle – new device
      • Lady Myndee of of South Downs – new name and device
      • Nikon Davidowicz – new name and device
      • Lord Mark de Wyttenye – new alternate name and device
      • Lady Stella di Silvestri – new alternate name; badge was returned at Kingdom
    • Submissions in Kingdom Commentary
      • THL Andreva Rigaldi – new name
      • Margot de Saint Denis – device resubmission
    • Submitted to Kingdom
      • Tryggvi Tryggsson – new name
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • Sir Gelleys has offered up an armored practice for unit/melee training, to be held the second Sunday of the month, in order to make ready for fall events (including Foxes and Castle Wars)
      • Project night, focusing on armor workshops and repairing loaner gear, will take place next week at Baronial Project Night.
      • The Kingdom Marshallate will count the Tuesday evening armored practice held at Swift Cantrell as an Owl’s Nest practice, since the location is within the shire and many of the participants are members of the shire
      • Jaden Baron has agreed to be the new deputy armored marshal (yay!)
    • Owl’s Nest (Lady Mairghread is serving as their knight marshal until they have one established)
      • Received the rest of the loaner gear from Crispin
      • Owl’s Nest has finally got their own knight marshal again (yay!), so Mairghread no longer has to be responsible for that anymore. The joint Owl’s Nest/South Downs’ Tuesday evening armored practice at Swift Cantrell will continue as before.
    • Youth
      • Nothing to report
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • Our practices are averaging about 10 people per practice, with 5-8 people on a line at a time
    • We’ve also been getting a lot of kids attending practice (or wanting to), so we will be looking at acquiring more youth loaner gear; we still have funds available from our initial budget request, so we will just move forward with the purchases
    • This Sunday (15 July), their Excellencies will host the Live Weapons Baronial Championship, so come on out! We will have a celebrity guest marshal to marshal the event
    • Mara is looking for volunteers to become live weapons marshals-in-training; if interested, please contact her directly
    • Please check the Facebook group, South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice to track upcoming practices.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, at Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • Brendan thanked Master Ximon for his help in getting loaner gear to practices when he (Brendan) had work conflicts with practices.
    • We have plenty of rapier marshals-at-large, so even when Brendan can’t attend practice, there has been no problem with having marshal coverage at practices
    • Reminder: Lord Konrad will be hosting a regional rapier practice at his home in Jasper. Facebook link to the event is here.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • Justina has a carful of gold key that was donated by a former SCAdian that she will need help processing/repairing.
    • Justina would like to hold another Baronial swap meet before? after? DragonCon, since she may not have use for all the donated items.
    • If you have borrowed any Gold Key, please return to Justina as soon as possible. Thanks!
    • Gold Key database is now available
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
    • Lady Justina taught last month’s class on poisons and the macabre and was well received
    • Katerina will teach this month’s class, on the new PayPal system for reservations. If you are interested in volunteering with troll at an SCA event, please come out for this class. She will teach both parts, covering reservations, troll, etc. THL Andreva encouraged everyone to consider taking the class, because the more people who are approved to handle the new Paypal registration/payment system, the easier it will be for those running troll at events.
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • Quarterly report was due yesterday (10 July), and was submitted on time
    • Our current accounts show that we had $10,621 in the bank at the beginning of the quarter, and we are now at approximately $8,000. This is due to having just made payments such as the storage unit rental, site fees, etc., and is rather average for us at this time of the year. Our two big events in the fall will take care of our finances.
    • Mistress Allesandra will be the new deputy (yay!)
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff! Yay!
    • Lucien planning to have another storage unit inventory update after Pennsic; he had planned to do this before Pennsic, but he has been asked by Sol Haven’s quartermaster to help them get set up.
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updates
      • Disk cleanup to get under the web site’s disk quota
      • Added Castle Wars 2018 banners and “Your Fate in the War of Roses” random image generator game – sharable to Facebook. Several members of the populace commented on how much fun the game is!
      • Updated Red Tower 2018 site with initial blurb, event site, link to Facebook page, link from toolbar
      • Updated website to WordPress 4.9.6
      • Added ability to share to social media from AtlantaSCA and tinkered with which images are used as thumbnails on facebook
      • Swapped Lucien and Ximon as Quartermaster and Deputy Quartermaster
      • Updated Alisandre to be Deputy A&S Minister
      • Updated honors and titles for Lucien, Sable, and Mairghread from Legends event
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Raven mentioned that recently, a couple of people had shown interest in becoming the deputy Chronicler, and asked if anyone is interested, please contact her directly.
    • Justina mentioned she is interested in serving as deputy, and has ideas about expanding social media opportunities, perhaps in conjunction with the Chatelaine?
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • After the recent “Find All The Sites” session, approximately 80 potential sites have been identified for further research. Anyone interested in helping research these potential sites, please contact Wistric.
    • A Future Farmers of America (FFA) site in Conyers was suggested by a member of the populace who had attended an event there recently. This has been added to the list.
    • It’s great that so many officers have gotten deputies lined up. All officers should consider finding a deputy for their position
    • September brings DragonCon!
      • Lady Stella is coordinating our presence at the parade. For those planning to attend, please check out the SCA at DragonCon page.
      • Owl’s Nest will be managing the table this year.
      • Ximon commented that he will again offer a six-pack (or equivalent) adult beverage of their choice to anyone who helps pull the chariot in the parade this year
    • Castle Wars!
      • Sir Iazzie is still waiting on getting the additional walls built – the funds are standing by.
      • Questions were raised about who owns the walls – Iazzie says we (South Downs) do, but things aren’t clear about the ownership of the towers
      • Things need to be determined about ownership and deputy ownership (in case the point person for the walls/towers is no longer available)
    • Do we still want to create a demo box? What would we want to include in it?
    • StreetsAlive will take place 30 September along Peachtree Street. Sawyer won’t be able to organize it, but Mistress Margavati can get info to Wistric to get things going. (note: this is the same weekend as MGT)
    • A high school teacher from Coweta County who attended the History Bee is interested in having us come do a demo at their school
  • Their Excellencies
    • Adela has re-authorized as an armored fighter! To celebrate, the baronial armored champion tournament will feature all combatants to fight her to sort out the fighters into brackets
    • Lorenzo is hoping to authorize in rapier by Red Tower
    • Their Excellencies reminded the populace that the baronial live weapons champion tournament will be held this Sunday during the live weapons practice, so come on out!
    • For those wanting to go to the live weapons practice and need arrows, they are available locally – just make sure you specify wood shaft, feather fletching, how much your bow draws (pounds) and the length of your draw
    • Upcoming events!
      • Royal University of Meridies (RUM) / Fighters’ Collegium (20-22 July)
        • Will be held in Murfreesboro – come on out!
      • Tournament of the Foxes (21-23 September)
        • We have sponsored Baronial teams for rapier and archery; we would love to also have an all-South Downs armored combat team as well! Represent!

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018), co-Autocrat Lady Veronica reporting
    • We have all volunteer positions covered; Veronica read through the list to confirm
    • Veronica will get together with Andreva and Mathias to work through herald logistics and duties
    • Mara requested donations of large pieces of cardboard for live weapons targets
    • Lorenzo asked about site tokens – Veronica has a bagful of tokens from past events that she will be using
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018)
    • Juliane needs volunteers! We already have 378 (via the Facebook event page) planning on attending.
    • If we don’t offer a GTFO breakfast Sunday morning, we should at least make sure there’s coffee “so people don’t die”
    • There was discussion about offering a volunteer war point, perhaps a York vs Lancaster competition
    • Need donations for the volunteer raffle
    • Ximon asked about a truck rental to haul supplies from the storage unit (and walls?) – Juliane confirmed the truck rental is included in the approved budget
    • Andreva reminded everyone that per Kingdom law, any receipts submitted for reimbursement can not include any personal items on the receipt, regardless of how minor the cost.
  • Midwinter A+S (9 February 2019)
    • We have a theme! The Gutenburg Printing Press!
    • That’s pretty much all that’s ready to mention now

Other SCA Business

  • The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild podcast is live, baby! Justina is one of the podcast’s field reporters. She said they are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!
  • In local courtesan news, the Courtesans of Meridies are sponsoring an adult-themed scribal challenge at Meridies Fall Coronation 2018! They want to see your naughty scribal side…
    • Prize: Replica Roman brothel coins (spintriae) and more!
    • Rules: Teams allowed, tracing allowed, incomplete allowed, documentation encouraged but not required.
    • Due to the nature of the subject, ONLY AGES 18+ may enter this challenge.
  • Justina is also sponsoring a category in the Meridies Scribal Challenge for Fall Coronation!
    • Best use of Poisonous Pigment in a Scroll
    • Prize: Historic poisonous plant seeds for the garden
    • Teams allowed, tracing allowed, documentation encouraged. Please include a description of materials used. Have fun!!!
  • Ca d’Oro has teamed up with the Sable and Gules Theater at Gulf Wars 2019. Lady Þýri’s fashion show was incredibly inspiring, so they are going to host a fashion show Monday of Gulf and will process to the Ca d’Oro department for a salon to discuss what each of them are wearing. They are looking for models – show off your garb of all eras and inspire newcomers! If you are interested, please contact Justina, or Sable and Gules directly
  • Iazzie mentioned that we need to start thinking about kingdom-level bids for 2019 – perhaps RUM/Fighters’ Collegium?

Non-SCA Business

  • None

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 1 August 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

June 2018 Business Meeting Followup

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

20 June 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

The purpose of tonight’s meeting is to have the autocrats of Red Tower and Castle Wars present their budgets for each event for review and approval before they are submitted to Kingdom.

Event Bid Presentations

  • Red Tower
    • Lord Mark reviewed the details of the budget breakdown. Please click here to view the budget
    • It has been confirmed that we will be able to have live weapons at the site (Camp Rutledge)
    • Motion to approve the bid was made, seconded, and approved unanimously
  • Castle Wars
    • Lady Juliane reviewed the details of the budget. Please click here to view the budget
    • Lady Juliane further reported that our Facebook event page shows we’ve already got 300 people saying that they’re planning on going to Castle Wars, and are asking about event registration.
    • THL Sibella will be making our site tokens (300 each red and white roses)
    • We will rent a U-Haul truck to transport the castle walls to and from site
    • Motion to approve the bid was made, seconded, and approved unanimously (except for Sir Iazzie, on principle 😀 )

Other SCA Business

  • Camp Kitchen Purchases
    • THL Mariana did a great job breaking down what we need and what we already have
    • Budget requested: $450 ($417 for supplies, remainder to cover shipping, etc.)
    • Motion to approve the bid was made, seconded, and approved unanimously
  • THL Andreva, our fearless reeve, pointed out that any purchases for SCA purposes must not include any personal purchases on the receipt – they must be completely separated.
  • Iazzie reported that Lady Mairghread received her Argent Shield at Legends last weekend (yay!)
  • Mairghread has been asked by the shire of Owl’s Nest to serve as their interim Knight Marshal, as they don’t have one right now.
  • Sir Caius Aurelius, the Kingdom Earl Marshal, has asked all the local groups to provide him with an inventory of their loaner gear; Mairghread will work on that for the Barony, and will be coordinating with our quartermaster, Lord Lucien, on this project. Mark will be adding further to our loaner gear (in process).

With all business being completed, the business meeting was closed and we returned to our regularly-scheduled dance practice.

The next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 11 July 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

August Baronial Business Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 August 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Annaliese Wolf – name/device at Laurel (3nd month – post-commentary)
      • Stella di Silvestri – device at Laurel (2nd month of commentary)
      • Juliane de Vivonne – badge at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Porcia Secunda – name at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Lucien d’Artois – badge x2 at Kingdom
      • Konrad Windhorn – name at Kingdom
    • Court Report
      • RUM:
        • Mara Palmer – Broken Bow
        • Stella di Silvestri – Guiding Hand
      • Arabian Nights:
        • Mathias Blackett – Kingdom Bard
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • 6-8 armored fighters at Sunday practices
    • Joint fighters practice with Owls Nest continues to go well
    • We have one new youth fighter (yay!)
    • Mairghread has requested $200 for additional loaner gear
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • July practice hosted ~22 archers
    • Royal round was held at practice
    • Update on acquiring loaner and baronial gear: we’ve only had to buy 3 bows
    • We have two new marshals in training
    • If interested in shooting archery at foxes, please contact Mistress Mara; if you are taking part in other tournaments during the event, please be aware there’s a lot of waiting around between archery rounds
    • For more information about archery in Meridies, please check out their website
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
    • Everyone is encouraged to sign up for DragonCon and take part in the parade!
    • Stella made up some baronial business cards for distribution at demos, etc., which should arrive Monday
    • We’ve had several new people come to events and practices recently
    • Stella is still looking for a deputy chatelaine, in charge of demos – if interested, please contact her
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • We have some money! yay!
    • We are spending a lot of money so we have to be careful, especially with the event season and our several events coming up this fall
    • Everything is paid up till the end of the year. With the site location changing for Castle Wars, we need to be extra careful with funds until we know more about how the change will impact the budget
    • Mara mentioned that she’s still running way below budget with archery needs.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • The July A+S class night was on making viking aprons, and taught by Lady Juliana
    • This month’s class, on how to event steward, will be presented by Mistress Jadi. She plans to set up the class as a roundtable featuring participants who have extensive experience in event stewarding from both inside and outside the barony, who can provide a variety of viewpoints and experiences on event stewarding. Ximon volunteered. This is would normally be held on the 4th Wednesday, but there are schedule conflicts, so please stay tuned.
    • This month will be our 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck – everyone is welcome!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Updated the Knight Marshal page
    • We need to add a Live Weapons Marshal page, now that we have a live weapons program
    • New profiles for Aidan MacKay, Konrad, Mairghread, and Piers have been added
    • His Excellency added the new baronial awards page to the website
    • Red Tower event page was updated
    • Castle Wars event page updated – the Castle Wars page includes a downloadable pre-registration form; it was agreed that the Red Tower page should also have a pre-reg form
    • Fighter practice page/schedule has been updated and expanded
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a barony (huzzah!)
    • Do we want to sponsor something at Meridian 40 Year? We should discuss and let Countess Thorkatla know.
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Their Excellencies
    • Their Excellencies have received several recommendations for the new baronial awards! The populace is encouraged to write more!
    • They also encourage the populace to write more recommendations for deserving gentles for all sorts of awards for upcoming events! Check the OP if you aren’t sure if someone has a particular award
    • Their Majesties are already putting the list together for Castle Wars
    • Foxes!
      • Her Excellency would love to sponsor several teams for the tournaments at Foxes – rapier, armored, and archery (team names: Adela’s Special Snowflakes? unless there’s only one team in a particular tournament, then they’ll become The Snowflakes?).
      • Her Excellency will be working on new tokens this weekend – everyone is invited to help (silk banner painting practice!)
      • There should be several rapier and armored teams – yay!

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • Lady Emmelina created a lovely flyer for the event – look for it in the upcoming kingdom newsletter
    • A pre-registration form and a Google doc for a signup list are in the works
    • Site visit planned for tomorrow (3 August)
    • Volunteers needed:
      • Herald(s)
      • Head troll
      • Pottycrat
      • Royal liaison
      • 2 list mistresses
        • (updates)Rapier covered per wistric
        • Serafina will do armored list
      • Hall steward (Mathias volunteers)
      • Children’s activities?
      • Travelers’ fare
      • Cleanup Royal site Sunday
    • Owl’s Nest is taking care fundraiser lunch; we will do fundraiser lunch @ Crossroads
    • Feast – THL Mariana is working on recipes, menu will be pinned down this weekend
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • Flyer should be ready this weekend for submission to PopChiv
    • Most staff taking care of, just needs landcrat and heralds
    • Site map has been sent to Their Majesties so we can determine where they want their camp to be
    • Need donations for volunteer raffle
    • Lucien needs volunteers for troll
    • Maire said we need heaters and lights for troll
  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton
    • Portapotties reserved
    • Event flyer about to go out
    • Everything is going smoothly
    • We (South Downs) will be the ones handling insurance
      • Maire mentioned that insurance for a group is taken care of for the first event of the year that group does

SCA Business

  • Mathias said there had been mention of 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck including some SCA dancing or bardic performances. He would be interested in getting some people together to do some commedia?
  • Ximon needs to talk with the reeve to get the check to cover the loaner rapier armor we bought from Tina (and the youth combat helm)
  • Sir Iazzie: The castle walls need repair/replacement (“rapier uses the walls, armored abuses the walls”).
    • Wants to talk to Sebastionnos about repairing/building a new wall and see how much it would cost.
    • We also need a gate of our own; with a second gate and repaired walls, we could do 2 castles for fighting scenarios.
    • Repairs very important, but we really do need *additional* wall pieces.
    • Hopefully we can store the walls and gates at the Shrine – currently they’re at His Highness’.
    • Can we get together with Tir Briste to help out with walls?
    • Fundraising idea – donate X$ to wall, maybe get your device on a wall? 🙂
  • His Excellency is going to test out new rope and stake wall for meridies royal encampment at pennsic
  • Lucien reminded everyone about the 2nd mini business meeting, possibly starting in August to help keep track of upcoming events (thru Midwinter A+S), to take place 3rd Wednesday of each month
  • After tonight’s meeting, we will meet for Baronial Chivarly / Heart of South Downs awards

Non-SCA Business

  • Lady Juliana suggests parking ideas for DragonCon. Parking Panda allows you to buy reserved parking spaces for much cheaper than public parking.
  • Other parking ideas;
    • Parking at the Cathedral for $20/day
    • Buy a monthly pass at the International Center parking garage for $120; pass is good for a full month, so if you need to park downtown at other times during September, it can be a good deal.

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 September 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

May Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

3 May 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Master Wistric, our new Seneschal (huzzah!), chaired the meeting.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Talmere’s Lusty Month of May will be hosting this year’s Meridian Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, so come on out! (13 May, Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Family Group Shelter
    • This year’s Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium will be coming to fair Meridies! The shire of Nant-y-Derwyddon has the honor of hosting it, and will be held in Knoxville the weekend of 23-2 June, 2017. For more information, please visit the symposium website
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Still working on getting the newsletter up and running – hoping to publish soon! Please contact Raven if you’re interested in submitting content.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Seneschal Master Wistric reporting on behalf of Lord Robert
    • Reminder to all of new location (Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park, 4770 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338)
    • Still looking for loaner gear donations!/li>
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • New practice location! Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. Everyone is really happy with it (not the least because of the ice cream truck at the park on Sundays)
    • Reminder that Dreamstone (5-7 May) is being held at Indian Springs Park in Flovilla, not the usual spot (Camp Daniel Morgan, where Rob Zombie is filming a movie this weekend)
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We’ve had a few new people show up at meetings and events – they have been excited and have felt welcome – keep it up!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Now that Wistric has become our Seneschal, Lord Pietro has taken over as Baronial Webminister (huzzah!)
    • We still have a website! huzzah!
    • Working on an artisan database; info, handouts, etc. you’d like to contribute, please give to Pietro
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Lady Veronica taught a painting and shading class last month for the Barony
    • Working on a class to teach at an event? Give it a run through by teaching it at the monthly baronial A+S class! A+S mistress is always looking for volunteers to teach classes. This month. THL Marianna has offered to teach a cooking class at her house (Italian! gnocchi!); Mattias has offered to teach a commedia class.
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • Not present at meeting, but Their Excellencies confirmed that we have money! huzzah!
  • Their Excellencies
    • Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium is coming!
      • 23-25 June 2017, in Knoxville, TN; hosted by Nant-y-Derwyddon. For more information, go to their: website
      • Come on out and support Meridies!
    • Dreamstone is coming! This weekend (5-7 May), at Indian Springs Park. Pirates! Adventure! Ports of call (well, maybe)! Come join the People’s Barony of Bryn Madoc at Dreamstone XXXVIII! For further information, visit the event page on Facebook or here
    • Lusty Month of May is coming as well! Hosted by the Shire of Talmere on Saturday, 13 May, at Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Family Group Shelter. For more information, please visit the event site
    • The weekend before the Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium in Knoxville, the Knowne Worlde Dance Symposium will be held in Baltimore, MD (the lands of Fair Atlantia), 15-18 June, 2017. Interested? check out the website for more information.
    • Fundraiser lunches! We have negotiated an agreement with the Shire of Owls Nest – Owls Nest will host the fundraiser lunch at Red Tower, and we will host the fundraiser lunch at Crossroads. If you are interested in helping out with the fundraiser lunch at Crossroads, please contact Their Excellencies.
      • Stella asked what the average attendance at Crossroads is. Sir Iazzie replied that the event is usually fairly small, but with the new, more central event site, turnout may be stronger.

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (6-8 October 2017)
    • Fundraiser lunch – already discussed
    • Event will be held at Booker T. Washington Park in Chattanooga
    • If anyone wants to volunteer on staff, please contact Beteena; Mara will be marshaling armored fighting
    • Beteena wants to go on a walkthrough to make sure there’s adequate land for camping before we pay the extra to allow camping
    • Wistric is going to make arrangements for insurance
  • Castle Wars (16-19 November 2017)
    • Site needs to be changed b/c site is not available. Possible alternatives – McIntosh? Piers reviewed how pricing/profits might change
    • A Dates can’t really change because of new kingdom laws
    • Master Ximon mentioned pricing issues with McIntosh he ran into when he autocratted Castle Wars there – costs need to be clarified, because his numbers were different than what Piers had been told
    • If we go with McIntosh, there will be no feast because there is no kitchen on site
    • Iazzie asked if anyone’s looked into Gwinnett County Fairgrounds? Could be worthwhile – no idea of availability/pricing
    • We should reserve the Shriner site now for future event years so we don’t run into this problem again, especially since we have a contract? agreement? with the site. Wistric will look into it.
    • A+S theme is Disney! Not too early to start planning your A+S project!

Event Bids

  • Fall Crown (10-12 November 2017)
    • THL Mathias is working with Depedale and Bryn Madoc on a joint bid, likely at Little Tallapoosa Park
    • Budget should be ready Monday
  • Artsy Crown 2018 (25-27 May 2018)
    • Iazzie will submit a bid with him as autocrat, and Lady Toki Ima as co-autocrat
      • Marianna will do Saturday night feast
      • Lochlann will do Sunday feast (bbq)
      • Duchess Sabine will do a breakfast
      • Matilda will do another breakfast
      • Adela/Mara offered to distribute danishes
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • Lady Alisandre is working on a bid

Other Events

  • DragonCon
    • Stella signed us up for parade – 40 wristbands
    • Ximon will start working on it, and has started putting the word out
    • Per last month’s meeting – we won’t do a table at DragonCon; too much effort
  • Atlanta Maker Faire (22 October 2017)
    • Is there interest? Sunneva is willing to volunteer
    • Event conflicts with Silver Hammer
    • New site this year – Georgia Freight Depot
    • Website for Atlanta Maker Faire
  • The Modern Maker weekend seminar (2-4, 9-11 June 2017)
    • Matthew Gnagy will be teaching two consecutive weekends on pattern making and a doublet workshop
    • For more information, please visit his http://themodernmaker.net/new-events/ (and drool at the project files!)

Non-SCA Business

  • Sunneva brought a soap making kit and some fabric – free to a good home!
  • Museum Replicas sale is coming up – 20 May! Sale starts at 8am, but there will be a line, so get there early!
    • “under duct tape, nobody knows it’s oak”
  • QOTD: Happy SCA birthday! Anno LII – How do you say that in Latin? LEEEEEEE!

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 June 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

December Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 December 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

THL Bjorn called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (THL Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Iastreb Desislavich – passed Kingdom
      • Stella di Silvestri – returned from Kingdom
    • Court Reports
      • Castle Wars – Royal Court
        • Pietro di Conti – AoA
      • Castle Wars – Baronial Court
        • Wistric Oftun – Tower Or
        • Veronica de Lucca – Tower Or
        • Alisandre Ysabeau de la Chapelle – Baronial Arts Champion
    • Bjorn announced that he will be stepping down as South Downs herald, and Lucien d’Artois will step up as the new Baronial Herald. Bjorn got a big round of applause in gratitude for all his work.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Mistress Allesandra taught a very well-received class last week on A+S submissions. There is a lot of interest in offering it again before Midwinter A+S, with more time before the event so everyone would have time to make adjustments to their A+S entries.
    • Allesandra is interested in teaching a class in January (topic TBD)
    • THL Mattias would like to teach a class on performing arts (discussion with Veronica will ensue)
    • Will there be an open A+S competition at MW, or just Stella Nova? As of now, there isn’t other A+S planned, but perhaps there should be to encourage non-beginners?
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have a new winter practice location for Tuesday evenings, at Gerrick’s house in Peachtree Corners, with a backup at Brendan’s office warehouse.
    • For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
    • Wistric was named QRC at Magna Faire; everyone laughed that he will have to stand up in court again
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Final numbers from Castle Wars – $5739.60 profit (more to follow in post-mortem)
    • Numbers are also available from Gulf Wars (need to get info from Maire)
    • We really need to look at where we should spend money for the Barony – conversation and plans are ongoing. Ximon suggested that we devote some time at next month’s meeting for proposals, etc.
    • We need to look at reducing/not increasing charges for events next year; we were quite fortunate in how we were charged for site rentals, etc. will discuss this further at January’s meeting.
    • Shower trailers for events at the Castle Wars site were suggested
    • Iastreb bought one of the pavilions we discussed previously and brought it to Crown. Was quite pleased with it, we could easily use 5 more.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal nights that have been held on first Thursdays will now be on the first Monday of the month at Their Excellencies’ home.
    • The populace is encourage to write recommendation letters for those who they find inspiring – Midwinter is coming! Matthias reminded everyone that if you are not 100% sure that a person has a particular award check the Meridian Order of Precedence – you would be surprised at the awards people deserve but DONT HAVE.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have had some new people show up at 5th Wednesday social and/or went to magna faire, yay!
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We had two injuries at Castle Wars
    • War Practice to be held Saturday, 10 December, in the shire of Depedale; likely SD practice Sunday as usual.

 

Recent Events

  • Castle Wars (17-20 November 2016) Post Mortem
    • Note: There is a more detailed analysis of the event compiled by CW staff. Please check with Wistric if you’d like to see it (Google Docs)
    • Pros
      • Live weapons field adjacent to rapier/armored was a big hit!
      • We had approximately an extra 100 people likely from Richard RaeFen’s memorial; would like to get the attendance numbers without the sad circumstances that increase attendance this year.
      • Having feast hall/tent available all weekend to hang out in was a great gathering spot
      • Excellent merchant turnout
      • Wistric has supply suggestions/needs for future
      • Feast was amazing, we should do it again! First Castle Wars feast in many years
      • Revel was excellent, but Justina stressed about the timing between court/memorial/feast/revel
  • Cons
    • Bulk of problems occurred during load-in
    • FIRE ANTS! Thorough fire ant treatment would cost $300 (suggested schedule: month before, 2 weeks before, and day before)
    • We need to address needing help to set up/staff/strike
      • Discussion about where to get more volunteers – within barony? encourage other groups? we should look at models of other large kingdom/interkingdom events
      • We go to other events to have a good time, we should make sure things are taken care of so others can have a good time. more service at our own events
      • Autocrats need to be more aggressive in recruiting volunteers
      • We need to develop culture where everyone is expected to help out in some way
      • We should work on how to get information out about what is needed
      • How to build rapport with other groups to coordinate service?
    • Traveler’s fare – there was confusion about whether it was being offered Thursday night (it wasn’t, but communication can be clearer about it)? Friday night kitchen tech failed. REMINDER – these were all experimental, hadn’t done at previous CW events. Overall, it was much appreciated.
    • With the drought and the high winds during the weekend, there was confusion about the burn ban.
    • Information point needs to be out on the field, not (just) at Troll

 

Upcoming Events

  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (3-5 February 2017)
    • Need teachers for classes! Matthias will teach heraldry 101; Mariana has offered to teach a course as well
    • War college on same weekend – should contact HRM to suggest it perhaps there’s a better weekend to assign it into kingdom law than the same weekend as MW
  • Kingdom-Level Events for 2017
    • Bids for Red Tower and Castle Wars are due in April to encourage newer autocrats to step up – it’s never too early to put a bid together for these events!
    • Iazzie has offered to co-autocrat to help teach/supervise a newer autocrat
    • Red Tower (7 October 2017) – potential site is Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held).
      • We would need to put reservation in with 50% deposit. It’s a relatively expensive site with weird pricing structure, but we have the resources to give it a shot. Payoff could be HUGE
      • Bacon Bash is not a conflict in 2017
      • Duke John expressed concern that we have to go out of state for an event. Where else can we get a large cabin site for such events? We are always looking for closer-in sites, but there aren’t many that could handle an event this size.

 

Other SCA Business

  • Secret Santa! gift exchange will be at January business meeting

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Mattias and Mistress Mara just bought a house – housewarming party on 12/23!

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 January 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

Happy holidays!

–Raven

November Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 November 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lord Brendan de Hay (mka Ben Hay), South Downs Celebrity Stunt Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report, thanks to Brendan for covering the meeting
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • All is well in rapier world. We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting). For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 5th Wednesday class (due to the Thanksgiving holiday) will be on how to prepare your A+S project for competition, taught by Mistress Allesandra. The A+S class meeting is also the 5th Wednesday potluck
    • Interested in taking part in Stella Nova at Midwinter A+S? Registration for Stella Nova closes in 15 days (17 November)!
      • For registration, you only need to include your name, your (Laurel) sponsor’s name, and project category
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have some new members! yay!
    • We will be taking part in ConjurationCon this coming weekend (5 November 2016). We will need dancers and ???
    • Castle Wars
      • Class schedule and Castle Wars patrol
      • Need two popups
      • Next meeting – we will paint arms of the populace for Castle Wars
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • We have money!
    • Yearly report sent in tonight (2 days late)
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! (yay!) We also have a website for Castle Wars! (yay encore!)
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Castle Wars – schedule sent to Wistric and has been posted on website
    • Please contact Robert on Facebook if you are interested in helping marshal
    • There will be Youth Combat at Castle Wars (yay!)
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions
      • Stella di Silvestri – submitted device
      • Iazzie – submitted new badge
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal night at-home will be tomorrow night (3 November)
      • Silk banners this weekend!
      • ??? banners
    • Castle Wars – please volunteer! We need volunteers throughout the event, especially cleanup!
    • If you are interested in retaining for Their Excellencies, please contact them
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Upcoming Events

  • ConjurationCon (5 November 2016)
    • Bryn Madoc and South Downs are co-coordinating the demo – if you are interested in taking part, please contact ???
    • If you are interested in volunteering, please get in touch with His Excellency Lorenzo
  • Crown List (11-13 November 2016)
    • Iazzie and Camulocaros will both be fighting in Crown List!
    • Baronial Pavilion will be near the field – all are welcome to stop by
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Takes place the week after Crown List
    • Still need volunteers:
      • Setup crew, starting at noon on Thursday 17 November
      • To help with stamping and threading site tokens – at meeting the Wednesday before Castle Wars
      • Troll
      • Kitchen cleanup
      • Site cleanup
      • Potty crew
      • Staff for Information Point
    • Revel at Castle Wars
      • Hat was passed for Revel donations. Justina has also coordinating a GoFundMe (not affiliated with South Downs, Meridies, or Society)
      • Need a tap for a commercial keg
      • Need beverage contributions
    • Zeliha is managing registration and announced she is happy to take reservations at the meeting
      • 160 total registered
      • 60 for feast (out of 100 spaces)
    • There will not be an overnight troll shift; troll will be closed between 2:00am and 7:00am
    • Registration will be extended – see website for details
    • Volunteer raffle – need donations!
    • 17 merchants have registered for Castle Wars
    • Anyone interested in camping with South Downs, please contact Lady Alisandre
    • Memorial events
      • Jochi Naran (Friday night)
      • Sir Richard Raefen
      • Viking ceremony to honor 6+ people who have passed this year, will be held Saturday evening after Court
  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
    • His Excellency South Downs will be attending
    • Feast will be potluck
    • Is anyone interested in creating a South Downs Twelfth Night event? It’s been done in the past, very low-key
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Will host Stella Nova
      • 12 entries already received, six from South Downs!
      • Reminder: Stella Nova registration only requires Name/Laurel Sponsor/Category; no details are required at this point
  • Bids for Future Events
    • Kingdom Level events for 2017
      • Spring Coronation
        • Site: Booker T Washington Park, in Chattanooga
        • First weekend in April (31 March – 2 April 2017)
        • Portia is willing to help/autocrat

 

Other SCA Business

  • Informal Baronial At-Home at Castle Wars
    • Pavilion will be open for knitting, knitting instruction, and socializing
    • Begins at 10:00am
    • Closes before Court
    • There will be alcohol
    • We will also be working on relic bags (for those who don’t knit) – materials will be provided

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva announced upcoming choir concerts, 2 and 4 December; please contact her for further information
  • SERFO (Southeast Renaissance Fencing Open) (11-13 November)
    • Organized by Master David, will be held at the Stone Mountain Community Center
    • Officially a HEMA event, but several SCA fencers take part
  • Duke John mentioned the Shakespeare First Folio exhibit at Emory
  • Vyviant at Georgia Tech needs volunteers to be interviewed for a research project on re-enacting
  • Fathom Events will be screening a rebroadcast of The National Theatre’s Hamlet, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, on 15 November

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 December 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven