All right, it’s Dragon*Con week! Finally got most of the info we’ll need!
We’re placed in the Historical section (51) of the parade and will be staging there.
I’ll be down Thursday night and will pick up the wristbands when I get my badge. I’ll be at the fan table Friday so swing by to pick up your wristband. It’ll be first come first serve, so please pick it up early. I’ll also bring them to the shuttle stop, and boarding one of the last shuttles over.
STAGING ON PARADE MORNING, SATURDAY, 9/3
STAGING LOCATION: North Avenue Presbyterian Church at the intersection of
Peachtree Street NE and North Avenue. The address is 607 Peachtree Street NE.
Please arrive from 9-9:30 am and be in place by 9:45 am. The parade will be televised so look your best
There will be a shuttle running from the Marriott from 7-9:30 to the staging area. Any shuttle after 9:30 will be late.
The CW Atlanta and DCTV are broadcasting us live! Be yourself, do what you’ve always done that makes the parade so incredible. THE CW CAMERA POSITION AND ‘BROADCAST BOOTH’ IS NOT A PERFORMANCE STOP. Please keep moving.
Attached is the shuttle map and our spot in staging. They’re going to send another email for vehicles, or chariot in our case.
Thanks to Majda for gathering this info!
WHERE & WHEN TO PICK UP YOUR PARADE WRISTBANDS
Our Parade Check In Table will be in the Sheraton, lower level across from the Georgia Hall or near by it. Thursday, 10AM-10PM and Friday 9:30AM-8’ish PM. On Friday, if table traffic is heavy in the evening, we’ll probably extend until 9PM. GROUP LEADS will pick up wristbands for their entire group. (If you are a member of a registered group, we will not have your name in the database so remember to coordinate with your lead to get your wristband.) [Ed. note: Stella has said she will pick these up.]
Registered INDIVIDUALS should pick up their own wristbands.
You can send a designated representative to pick up the wristbands and we’d appreciate a heads up if that’s the case.
Please let me know ASAP if you will not be onsite to pick up on Thursday or Friday and do not have someone who can pick up in your stead. Send me an email to dc_parade(at)dragoncon(dot)org. Do not reply on this thread if you will not be onsite Thursday or Friday.
STAGING, GENERAL INFORMATION
Staging will take place from 7:30AM-9:45AM, Saturday morning in the North Avenue Presbyterian Church parking lot/garage located at 607 Peachtree Street.
Participants will be staged in line up order in the parking lot/garage. Vehicles, with a few exceptions, will be staged on Peachtree Street in the block between Linden Avenue and North Avenue. Those few exceptions will be staged in the parking lot/garage with the appropriate group/section.
You will be getting a map that lays out the ‘approximate’ location of your parade section in the parking lot/garage. Vehicle owners/drivers will be sent an email with more specific instructions about when to arrive and where you;ll be staged, etc.
There are two entry points into the parking lot/garage – one on Peachtree and one on Courtland. BADGES AND WRISTBANDS ARE REQUIRED TO GET INTO STAGING. VEHICLES WILL GET A DASHBOARD SIGN THAT MUST BE DISPLAYED WHEN YOU ARRIVE.
Parade team members and volunteers will be there to assist you getting in place and ready to roll.
HOW TO GET TO STAGING
1) Walking from the host hotel area – staging is approximately 8 blocks NORTH on Peachtree from the Hyatt Regency’s front door. It’s about 9 blocks NORTH on Courtland from the Marriott/Hilton.
2) MARTA – the North Avenue Station is a block from staging. Exit the station and walk one block on North Ave to Peachtree. There we are.
3) Parade Participant Shuttle – runs from 7AM-9:30AM with one pick up at the Marriott (Courtland side) and one drop off at staging. Other DC shuttles can get you to staging on Saturday morning but there may be other stops on the way so plan your timing accordingly. DO NOT TAKE ANY SHUTTLE THAT LEAVES THE MARRIOTT AFTER THE SCHEDULED 9:30AM PICK UP. DO NOT. YOU WILL NOT GET TO STAGING ON TIME.
4) Driving – use your GPS but note that we do not supply parking (you’re on your own) and your car will not be conveniently located to the end of the route.
5) Uber, Lyft, taxi and the like. Call them and they will get you there.
DRAGON CON PARADE GUIDELINES
1. You MUST be a member of Dragon Con to participate in the parade. Convention badges must be worn and visible on parade morning along with parade participant wristbands.
2. Advertising and/or promotion of any type of commercial entities is strictly prohibited in the parade unless approved by Dragon Con Senior Management prior to the parade. A sponsorship agreement must be in place. This prohibition extends to any “street teams” that might be working the parade spectators.
Banners and flags are welcomed in the parade as long as they do not contain advertising or promotional information such as commercial company logos, web sites, addresses, phone numbers, etc. This includes information regarding other fan conventions as well.
Fan organizations/groups, clubs, DC programming tracks, etc. are exempted from this and encouraged to carry to their banners.
3. The Dragon Con Parade is a politics-free zone and not the appropriate venue for political actions or activities that impact our everyday lives outside of Dragon Con.
4. Non-working or prop weapons (as part of your costume) are OK. Any weapon carried at Dragon Con, including in the parade, must be approved and peace bonded by Dragon Con Security. Please take care of this BEFORE Parade morning to avoid potential confiscation of questionable items. The Atlanta PD and Dragon Con Security escort the parade and may make swift response to any action they deem inappropriate or threatening to the public. Think about how you brandish your weapon.
5. No flash pots, explosive devices, fireworks, loaded devices of any kind, or use of open flames. Absolutely not allowed, period.
6. Photography and videography by participants is always welcome as long as the progress of the parade is not hindered while you take your shots. Use of DRONES for filming the parade is PROHIBITED for your and the spectators safety.
6. Small throws/tosses (candy, beads, coins for instance) are permitted as long as do not cause street litter and are placed directly into the hands of the recipients. No random tossing, flinging or otherwise launching into the crowd.
7. Fliers/flyer, coupons and/or leaflets, business cards, etc. distribution is NOT permitted under any circumstances. This prohibition extends to any “street teams” that might be working the parade spectators.
8. We are rated PG/PG-13. Remember the parade is held on city streets – public safety and decency laws will apply. Watching the parade is open to the public, small children and other impressionable beings will be along the route. Additionally street/everyday clothing, unless it’s identifiable with a character, isn’t appropriate for the parade. We are a costumed event. Please choose your costume wisely.
9. Children 13 years of age and under participating in the parade must be accompanied by an adult.
10. At this time, live animals are prohibited from the parade with the exception of service animals and selected Dragon Con sponsors.
11. Use common sense and show courtesy for all involved with the parade.
12. Show up on time and be patient during staging/line-up. Be ready to move into place when your parade section is called on deck.
13. Prepare yourself for the weather (bring water, don’t forget sunscreen, etc.).
14. If you have a question about whether or not something will be allowed – ask beforehand!! Contact us at dc_parade at dragoncon.org.
15. Have fun! Have fun! Have Fun!
We reserve the right to remove any person(s), vehicle(s), or prop(s) (including banners, flags or signs, and weapons) from the parade that is considered offensive, potentially dangerous or otherwise inappropriate, or that do not comply with the above stated guidelines for the event , at any time and without prior warning.
THE PARADE GOES ON RAIN OR SHINE!
Can we all start the “No rain, no rain” chanting now?
If it’s sunny – we march! If it’s overcast – we march (and we like this kind of weather, trust!)! If clouds are looming with the possibility of rain – we march! If there was rain but it stopped before 10AM – we march! If it’s drizzling or there’s light intermittent rain – we march! If it’s outright raining – we march (…but the “we” might be just the parade team and DC Security walking the route under umbrellas and waving at any spectators still there…)! If it’s continuous nasty storming or there is any weather happening that threatens lives or property – we stay at home.
There is no alternate date or time (a.k.a. rain date) for the parade. We go forward Saturday morning at 10AM or we don’t go at all.
SATURDAY ONLY MEMBERS
..OR those who are not buying full weekend memberships OR those who will not arrive at con until late-late Friday or Saturday morning. What do you do about being in the parade?
If you cannot get your badge before you come to staging (Registration opens at 8AM, in the Sheraton, on Saturday morning and I hope you at least give it a very good try to pick it up), you can bring your postcard and ID to staging.
If you did not purchase your membership in advance, contact me ASAP. Prefer an email dc_parade(at)dragoncon(dot)org.
The time of Dragoncon draws nigh!
His Excellency Lorenzo, Baron of South Downs, requests that those who wish to help out at the fan table and/or march in the parade to sign up here.