Category Archives: Meeting Minutes

October 2018 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

3 October 2018, 7:30pm

Doraville Civic Center – NEW LOCATION! 3744 Central Ave., Doraville GA

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in! And – how do you like the new digs?”

Officer Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Events – Tournament of the Foxes
      • Argent Comet – Master Wistric Oftun
      • Writ of Elevation to the Order of Defense – Captain Davio de la Rouge
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • No practice this Sunday due to Red Tower
    • Our monthly regional melee training practice will take place the following Sunday (14 October)
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons at Brook Run Park, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm have gone back to Blackburn Park in Brookhaven. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • We will also not have practice this coming Sunday, due to Red Tower
    • Brendan thanked all those who stepped up to run practices when he (Brendan) had work conflicts.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • We have had two newcomers join us at recent meetings or events
    • Justina mentioned that she encountered another group who opened their meeting to the general community, essentially an open house. She suggested that this could be a good idea for us, especially since our new meeting space is a promising spot to hold an open house.
    • Gold Key – we won’t be able to host a excess Gold Key yard sale at Red Tower, but she’d still like to host it sometime this month, or perhaps at Castle Wars? She’d like to hold it soon, so she can get it out of her house. She’d like to offer first dibs for new people who come to meetings.
      • Would like pricing advice on all items
      • Yard sale will also include unclaimed lost and found from past events
      • Justina emphasized that we are keeping the higher quality Gold Key – she really has an enormous amount of donated garb that she can sell off some of it
      • Details for the yard sale will be announced after Red Tower
      • Armored- and rapier-relevant lost and found will be given first to group marshals to see if they need it for loaner gear; remaining will be sold at the yard sale
    • Gold Key database is now available
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • Mistress Sunneva was out sick, Master Wistric reporting
    • We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
    • Lady Alisandre taught last month’s class on Research Tools and Methods
    • This month’s class, Voice Heraldry in Court, will be taught by THL Andreva
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • We have money! Yay!
    • Quarterly report is done and ready to submit
    • We have just over $4,000 in our account right now, and waiting to get PayPal funds deposited from Red Tower
    • Mistress Alessandra will be her new deputy reeve – yay!
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff! Yay!
    • We completed the baronial inventory this past weekend
    • We will load up the trailer for Red Tower this coming Friday (5 October) at 8:00am. If interested in helping, please contact Lucien
    • Lucien thanked THL Mariana for her help researching and acquiring kitchen supplies for the baronial camp kitchen – yay!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updates to Red tower web site
      • Pricing
      • Directions
      • Revel
      • Rapier schedule
      • Armored schedule
      • Live weapons schedule
    • Adjusted column width of text on desktop view of website
    • Added Tumblr to the social media buttons on the website
    • Updated meeting location
    • Added Andreva’s class to the October A&S class schedule
    • Updates to profile pages
      • Lady Myndee of South Downs: added as Minister of Children
      • Lady Roisin McAlister: added as Deputy Chatelaine (Gold Key)
      • Lord Jarec Markov: added as Deputy Armored Marshal (replacing Baron Robert)
      • Mistress Allesandra Giovanna Fioravnti: added as Deputy Reeve, also added a link from her profile page to her shop, Tied to History
      • Lord Mark de Wytteney: added as Deputy Seneschal
      • Lady Justina di Silvestri: added device, and a link to her blog
      • Sir Iastreb Desislavich: added device
      • Lady Alisandre: added class notes to her profile page
    • If you don’t want your photo on your profile page, or if you have a different picture for you or your device that you’d prefer, let me know!
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report for now, other than things in the works including acquiring a deputy
  • Minister of Children (Lady Myndee of South Downs, Lord Mark reporting)
    • We have a Minister of Children! Yay!
    • All of Myndee’s paperwork is done
    • Jenny’s is in the works
    • Myndee is at home right now working on stuff
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a barony! Yay!
    • 91 people have signed in to meetings since May – yay!
    • We will have our Red Tower post-mortem report and meeting on 17 October at the Cathedral of St. Philip’s
  • Their Excellencies
    • Her Excellency has reauthorized as an armored fighter; to celebrate, the baronial armored champion tournament will feature all fighters having to fight her to sort out the combatants
    • His Excellency has also authorized as in rapier, and will also fight all combatants in the baronial rapier champion tournament at Red Tower
    • Baronial archery champion will be determined at Sunday’s live weapons practice
    • Someone asked about where to get arrows – they can be purchased locally, you need to specify
        • Wood shaft
        • Feather fletching
        • Weight of your bow pull and draw length

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018), Lord Mark reporting
    • Needs to contact portapotty company to arrange for fieldside portapotties
    • What do different groups (martial, A&S, etc) need for supplies – do we have a list from last year’s Red Tower for reference?
    • Mark has a minion! (Nikon)
    • We are pretty set in general, things are coming along or being wrapped up
    • Iazzie asked to confirm if we have poles and rope for the lyst fields and offered to bring netting for live weapons field if needed – he’s got a supply of netting already for Castle Wars
    • Do we need tiki torches> We have propane torches, but we’ll need extra propane tanks to cover both nights
    • We have 70 beds and 72 feast spaces sold already. 24 feast spaces still available at the door. We have already reached break-even (yay!)
    • His Excellency asked about the pre-registration rate compared to last year – it is pretty low, and it’s expected that this is mostly due to large events surrounding Red Tower (MGT and Coronation), as well as it not being on Royal Progress. We do expect a lot of daytrippers, so we’re not worried.
    • Lady Veronica asked if everyone who is playing a god knows *who* they are portraying and if they have their garb set up
    • Raven is not doing the flyer – gah!
    • Where can we hold classes? There are some popups and people can bring chairs, and the hall is available during the day. Since the hall has ceiling fans, people may find it more comfortable.
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018), Lady Juliane reporting
    • She has backed off from advertising about Castle Wars so it won’t interfere with Red Tower – but once Red Tower is in the books, it is ON!
    • Trying to get the FB staff group set up, but having technical issues; once these are fixed, all staff will be added
    • Volunteers still needed:
      • Hall steward (Duchess Ysmay is organizing the Rose Ball)
      • Saturday breakfast
      • Sunday breakfast – do we even need it?
      • Friday travelers’ fare
      • Site herald – Lord Mark volunteered, as he will be mostly done with landcrat duties by then
      • Fundraiser lunch Friday and Saturday – maybe Sol Haven or other local groups might be interested? Most of our barony will already be busy with the event, so we should try to get someone else to do the fundraiser lunches
      • Revel organizer for Saturday night
      • Other A&S competition-related volunteers needed, but will be handled separately
    • Currently, 45 paid weekend – 14 child (12 are William Scrivener’s), 1 daytripper and 16 feast
    • Bam will have the menu ready shortly
    • Iazzie has all the fighting scenarios ready, will release them individually every few days
    • Needs SCA names for all staff, so please confirm with Lady Juliane
    • We should check with the Honorable Clover group – they recently hosted a class on SCA and disabilities issues so we can make sure we address these issues adequately
    • Juliane would like to have everyone work on assembling tokens at the next project night
  • Midwinter A+S (9 February 2019), Lady Alisandre reporting
    • Received confirmation that we can have the ballroom in the student center for evening court
    • Still waiting for confirmation that we can have the classroom space for the event – the reservation person is away at a conference right now, but everyone is confident there won’t be any problems
    • Andreva needs the reservationist’s name for PayPal

Other SCA Business

  • Master Ximon showed the populace the four small towers that Sawyer brought in, which will be used to light the baronial banner poles – SO SPIFF! They cost $10 each to 3D print, so the question “how many do we want?” After discussion, it was agreed that we’d ultimately like 8 for the banner poles and 12 for feast tables, perhaps a total of 25? It was also agreed that Sawyer could provide 8 (for banner poles) for Castle Wars, and we can pay him upon receipt.
  • Ximon also proposed that the baronial encampment have a gate – he already has designed one, and can work on pricing for it. Everyone thought this was a great idea, and one of the ladies of the populace volunteered access to a maker space to help build the gate.
  • His Excellency talked about all the things they had wanted to do and have accomplished during their tenure as Baron and Baroness… then announced that they will be stepping down and will get the polling process going. If you are interested in putting your name in, please check out the rules and if you meet the qualifications, please contact His Excellency, Master Lorenzo.
  • Mistress Margavati recommended that if you want to nominate someone, *check with them FIRST*
  • Iazzie reminded everyone of the ZIP code database online, but we’re not sure how current it is
  • We now have a faculty rep at GA Tech!
  • In November, Justina will be taking over as a kingdom-level A&S rep (will provide more info)
  • MGT (Meridian Grand Tournament) was last weekend, and the Barony showed well! It was great to see the baronial arms on the lyst tree. Futhermore, Iazzie won the Rose Tourney – yay!
  • The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild podcast is live, baby! Justina is one of the podcast’s field reporters. She said they are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!

Non-SCA Business

  • None

PLEASE NOTE: Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 November 2018, at the Doraville Civic Center, 3770 Central Avenue, Doraville, GA. We will meet at the usual time, Wednesday 7-9pm.

Also – our 17 October meeting will be held at the Cathedral of St. Philip’s in Buckhead, 2744 Peachtree Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30305. We will have our Red Tower post-mortem meeting, then our monthly dance practice – see you then!

–Raven

September Baronial Business Mini-Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Mini-Meeting

26 September 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Red Tower

  • Lord Mark de Wytteney reporting
    • Visited the site last weekend, took lots of pictures
    • Site opens at 5:00pm, but we can get there to set up at 12:00 Noon
    • Cabins
      • Not all cabins have fans
      • Don’t plug in anything more than box fans or heated blankets, or they’ll blow the power to the entire site (example – space heaters, etc). CPAPs are fine
    • Lots of spiders – be careful
      Bloody Ridge is doing fundraiser lunch for TRHs
    • Fighting scenarios for both heavy and rapier look great
    • There aren’t any classes planned for the event (as of now), other than a scriptorium
      • Lady Justina mentioned that she does have a class planned, and has posted it on event page
    • HRH always welcomes local youth to serve as retainers to TRH
    • What is the Gold Key situation for Red Tower? Will it be available?
    • The Red Tower tournament will be a standard tournament structure
    • Do we have a merchantcrat? It looks like we’ll have at least one merchant
      • Will merchants be able to camp at the site?
      • There is supposed to be no camping allowed – cabins only – but it was pointed out that Crossroads had tent camping available as well – how did this work?
      • Everyone (including merchants) would have to registers for a cabin/bed, but merchants could camp with their booths if they need to
    • The adults-only revel will be hosted by House Broken Heart and the Knowne Worlde Courtesan Guild down at the amphitheater, away from the cabins; the path to the amphitheater will be clearly marked with glow sticks etc
    • There may be a second, family-friendly revel
    • Feast sounds fantastic!
    • By tomorrow night, Mark will have a map with cabins, etc up
      • Other than HRH cabin, all cabins are first come first serve
      • 121 beds on site (4 beds per cabin)
      • Concerns about people unloading their stuff in cabins *then* trolling in (which leaves people with cabin conflicts)
    • How will baronial supplies get from storage to site? Mark replied he has a trailer and a truck available
    • Expected baronial supplies:
      • Kitchen stuff
      • Lyst field stuff
      • Tables, popups, etc
      • Baronial supplies for the event need to get that parsed out ASAP so things can get organized and packed
    • Lucien will have storage inventory done this weekend
    • Ximon will head out to site on Friday, has car space for one person (but he’ll have to come back Friday night, so that person will need to arrange their own travel back)

Other SCA Business

  • New meeting site
    • We need to find a new meeting site by 1 October – three potential meeting sites have been lined up. Each site is approximately the same price ($50/week)
      • Doraville Civic Center: across from the Doraville MARTA station. Convenient, good space, lots of parking. However, it has already been reserved by another group on 17 October, so if we went with this site, we’d need to find an alternate space for that one evening
      • St. Philip’s Cathedral: Buckhead, right on Peachtree St. Beautiful site, lots of parking. Contact there is a former/occasional SCAdian. We should keep this site in mind for future RUM or MWA+S events. Location is deep in Buckhead, not near highways or public transportation (other than buses)
      • Masons Lodge: Sandy Springs. On Roswell Rd. near 285, so easily accessed (by car). Traffic through Sandy Springs during the evenings can be brutal, and once a quarter, we won’t have access to the site due to a regularly-scheduled event conflict.
    • The floor was opened to the populace for questions and comments.
      • There were concerns about traffic and having our meetings in religious sites.
      • Could we try out each location (for a week? month?)?
      • Concerns were raised about the possibility of losing a site if we waited too long.
      • Wistric presented a map of the Atlanta metro area to give a better idea of where each location is, and then we voted.
    • Final votes: Doraville (13), St. Philips (11), Mason’s Lodge (8). Motion to move to the Doraville Civic Center and hold our 17 October meeting at St. Philips.
    • THL Andreva wrote out a deposit check for $350 for the Doraville Civic Center ($150 deposit, $200 for the first month’s site fees).

With no other business, Lucien closed the meeting and Lady Alisandre taught her class on Research Methods.

PLEASE NOTE: Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 3 October 2018, at the Doraville Civic Center, 3770 Central Avenue, Doraville, GA. We will meet at the usual time, Wednesday 7-9pm.

–Raven

September 2018 Baronial Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

5 September 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Officer Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Nothing new to report
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • Regional practice this Sunday (9 September 2018) will be a melee practice, hosted by Sir Gelleys
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • The last practice (August) went well
    • We will have a new live weapons marshal in the Barony after Foxes (Conner O’Dell)
    • Please check the Facebook group, South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice to track upcoming practices.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons at Brook Run Park, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm have gone back to Blackburn Park in Brookhaven. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • Brendan thanked all those who stepped up to run practices when he (Brendan) had work conflicts.
    • His Excellency and Lady Zhelana authorized in rapier recently (yay!).
    • Her Excellency is looking for stalwart fencers to fight on her behalf in the 5-person melee tournament at Foxes. If interested, please contact her as soon as possible.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • We have had three newcomers and 1 transfer join us at recent meetings or events
    • Dragon Con 2019:
      • Justina volunteered at the alternate history track
      • She also spoke with the person in charge of the track about volunteering again next year and brought up that she was with SCA, and he commented that the SCA was not (yet) represented! She will keep in touch with them and when they wrap up 2018 they will put us on the list for 2019 panels.
      • This is a good opportunity for a demo where anyone working the panel wouldn’t have to sit at a booth in a corner to interact with Con attendees, but can present our information in the context of a class/panel (1 hour)
    • If you have borrowed any Gold Key, please return to Justina as soon as possible. Thanks!
    • Gold Key database is now available
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • Mistress Sunneva was out sick, Master Wistric reporting
    • We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
    • Lady Zhelana taught last month’s class on celtic knotwork
    • This month’s class, Research Tools and Methods, will be taught by Lady Alisandre
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • We have money! Yay!
    • $7,635.52 in the bank, $5,161.01 including outstanding checks.
    • We did receive a check from Kingdom for $21.82 for Gulf Wars volunteer hours, that Andreva will deposit soon.
    • She announced that she had the checkbook with her in case anyone needed reimbursement for event expenses.
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff! Yay!
    • Next Saturday (15 September) we’ll begin to re-inventory the storage shed in anticipation of the fall event season
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updates to profile pages
      • Aidan Mackay: added photo from George Hunter
      • Brendan de Hay: added photo from George Hunter
      • Charlie MacNeill: added photo from George Hunter
      • David Twynham: added links to his YouTube channel and his new book
      • Eyba Larsdottir: added link to her new book
      • Jarec Markov: created new profile page
      • John of Ean Airgead: added photo from George Hunter
      • Juliane: added registered badge
      • Jurgen der Vielfrass: updated his name
      • Mairghread Wilson: added photo from George Hunter
      • Mara: added registered badges, Live Weapons Marshal, Baronial Archery Champion titles
      • Mark de Wytteney: added photo from George Hunter, added device
      • Mathias: added registered badges
      • Morgan Ironheart: added photo from George Hunter
      • Morgana Bellachose: created new profile page
      • Myndee of South Downs: updated her name
      • Nikon Davidowicz: created new profile page
      • Piers Simmons: added photo from George Hunter
      • Pietro di Conti: added photo from George Hunter
      • Quintus Valerius Gracchus: created new profile page
      • Ruqayah: updated device
      • Stella di Silvestri: added her alternate name (Seong Myeong-su) and badge
      • Svala Thorfinnsdottir: created new profile page
      • Ximon Martillo de Cordoba: added photo from George Hunter, “How to watch a Rapier Fight” to class list
    • If you don’t want your photo on your profile page, or if you have a different picture for you or your device that you’d prefer, let me know!
    • Added 2 group photos from Dragoncon – feel free to send more
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a barony! Yay!
    • Talked to StreetsAlive – the next one will be held the weekend of 30 September, which conflicts with MGT (Meridian Grand Tournament), so it is unlikely we will be able to take part. This is the last StreetsAlive for 2018 – maybe we can take part next year?
  • Their Excellencies
    • It was great seeing everyone at DragonCon, although they were sad because Sebastiannos didn’t have anyone to play with during the parade (lol)
    • Red Tower is coming soon! Will discuss further later in the meeting

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018), Lady Veronica reporting
    • Everything is moving along well, all volunteer positions seem to be filled
    • We don’t yet have anyone to do a fundraiser lunch – this isn’t necessary, so we’re not worried. Lucien mentioned that some of the local groups have expressed interest in hosting a fundraiser lunch
    • There will be a sponsored revel which is being planned – ideas, volunteers, performers, etc are welcome. Talk to Veronica, Zoe, or Lyman (?) if interested
    • Maybe fundraiser lunch for revel funds? Donations also helpful
    • Reservations are trickling in
    • The Courtesans of Meridies are teaming up with House Broken Heart and the Salty Alliance at the 21+ only revel
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018), Lady Juliane reporting
    • Site has been paid – yay!
    • Insurance certificate should be received in the next day or two
    • Duchess Ysmay mentioned that HRH wants to do her Rose Ball at Castle Wars on Saturday
      • Can we do the disco party after the ball? Friday night? Funds have already been raised for the disco party, so we want to use it at Castle Wars
    • Be on the lookout for memes to start up again
    • Stella mentioned that if you are planning to camp with South Downs, make sure you specify that when you register
    • Knowne Worlde Courtesans will be hosting their first salon during Castle Wars, at the edge of the South Downs camp. If anyone has a courtesan-theme class – does not have to be adult-themed (although it *can* be), it can be something like a class on etiquette or fashion for example, we have space for you at the Salon. Contact Justina if you are interested in being a part of the Salon
    • Wistric mentioned that we have been discussing upping the bling for our campsite, starting with Castle Wars – we’re looking for ideas
    • Stella suggested ropes and stakes for camp perimeter
  • Midwinter A+S (9 February 2019), Lady Alisandre reporting
    • Still waiting to hear from University of West Georgia to schedule their spring classes so our site can be finalized. We are confident that the reservation will go through without problems

Other SCA Business

  • We will be taking part at next year’s Anachrocon (16 February 2019). This year’s theme is “The Time Travelers’ Ball,” so we have pretty free rein with garb, demos, etc.
  • Stella is looking to find someone to take over as DragonCon contact for the parade and the fan table
  • Justina reminded everyone that the Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild is sponsoring a “naughty scribal challenge” at Coronation. In addition, Justina is sponsoring a prize for the Best Use of A Poisonous Pigment, so get your projects going!
  • The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild podcast is live, baby! Justina is one of the podcast’s field reporters. She said they are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!

Non-SCA Business

  • None

After the meeting was closed, the populace went to vote for the upcoming Baronial awards: the men voted for the Heart of South Downs, the ladies for the Chivalry award.

PLEASE NOTE: Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 3 October 2018, at the Doraville Civic Center, 3770 Central Avenue, Doraville, GA. We will meet at the usual time, Wednesday 7-9pm.

–Raven

August 2018 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

1 August 2018, 7:30pm (meeting started a few minutes late, in order to give everyone a chance to fight through traffic and storms)

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Officer Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Events – RUM
      • Lady Justina di Silvestri – Guiding Hand
    • Submissions registered at LOAR
      • Lady Juliane de Vivonne – badge
      • Master Mathias Blackett and Mistress Mara Palmer – joint badge; household name was returned
      • Ruqayah al-Zarqa – device change
    • Submissions at Society (for August decision meeting)
      • Jurgen der Vielfrass – name and device
      • Quintus Valerius Gracchus – name and device
    • Submissions at Society (for September decision meeting)
      • Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle – device
      • Lady Myndee of of South Downs – name and device
      • Nikon Dawidowicz – name and device
      • Lord Mark de Wyttenye – alternate name and device
      • Lady Stella di Silvestri – alternate name and badge
    • Advanced to Society (for October decision meeting)
      • THL Andreva Rigaldi – name
      • Margot de Saint Denis – device
    • Submitted to Kingdom (for August Kingdom decision meeting)
      • Tryggvi Tryggsson – name
      • Frigyth of South Downs – name and device
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • This month’s melee practice will coincide with Lord Konrad’s regional practice
    • Youth
      • Got the background check cleared, so she can start authorizing youth fighters
      • Will step up as kingdom youth rapier marshal soon, probably at Foxes
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, at Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • Brendan thanked all those who stepped up to run practices when he (Brendan) had work conflicts.
    • Reminder: Lord Konrad will be hosting a regional rapier practice at his home in Jasper. Facebook link to the event is here.
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • The July practice went well – practices continue to average about 10 people per practice, with 5-8 people on a line at a time
    • This Sunday (5 August) will be the August live weapons practice
    • Mistress Mara is the new South Downs Live Weapons Champion
    • Please check the Facebook group, South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice to track upcoming practices.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • No report
    • If you have borrowed any Gold Key, please return to Justina as soon as possible. Thanks!
    • Gold Key database is now available
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
    • Katerina taught last month’s class on the new PayPal system for reservations.
    • Lady Zhelana will teach this month’s class on celtic knotwork
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • We have money! Yay!
    • Nothing new to report
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff! Yay!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updates
      • Updated Red Tower event page with official graphics and staff list
      • Added Gold Key database to Chatelaine page
      • Added Known World Courtesans podcast to Justina’s profile
      • Added “Refund Policy” to events, as requested by Reeve
      • Added profile page for Wenyeva atte Grene
      • Updated awards fro Justina, Mark, and Melusine
      • Added Wine Brawl and Fall Coronation to Events list
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • The men and women of the Barony will meet separately after the business meeting to discuss nominations for the Heart of South Downs and the Chivalry award (respectively)
  • Their Excellencies
    • We have a barony! Yay!
    • We (and several other members of the Barony) are getting ready to head to Pennsic, so we have nothing much else to report

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018), Master Wistric reporting
    • PayPal is now up and running
    • Mara thanked everyone who donated cardboard sheets for archery targets
    • Andreva is taking checks for registration, and pointed out that attendees will need to pay the $5 site/park fee, and it will need to be paid at the door since PayPal is (not yet) set up to process the park fee
  • DragonCon (30 August – 3 September 2018)
    • People are needed to pull the chariot – Ximon’s offer/bribe still stands (a six-pack of frosted adult (or all-ages) beverage of one’s choice)
    • Duke John described the setup for pulling the chariot, will ideally need 4 people (is set up to do so)
    • Took count of who is planning to take part in the parade and doing what
    • Lady Stella is the point person to get parade passes (passes will be handed out on Friday of DragonCon)
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018), Lady Juliane reporting
    • Mistress Sibella is creating the site tokens, will probably schedule a project night to sew them together
    • Paypal will be up once the event flyer is approved and paperwork is done – likely within a week or two
    • Site deposit is already in for Castle Wars 2019
  • Midwinter A+S (9 February 2019), Lady Alisandre reporting
    • Alisandre talked with Sibella about securing the University of West Georgia site – their class scheduling system has apparently gone south, but this shouldn’t interfere with finalizing the site reservation by 1 October

Other SCA Business

  • The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild podcast is live, baby! Justina is one of the podcast’s field reporters. She said they are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!
  • Ideas for next year’s baronial bid for a kingdom-level event – perhaps RUM/Fighters’ Collegium at University of West Georgia? Coronation (although this would depend on who wins Crown)?
  • Mara expressed interest in autocratting RUM/Fighters’ Collegium
  • Sir Iazzie is planning to sponsor a Rose-themed armored tournament at Crossroads – perhaps a similar tournament could be done for the rapier lyst as well?

Non-SCA Business

  • None

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 September 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

July 2018 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

11 July 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Officer Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Events – Legends
      • Lord Lucien D’Artois – Grant of Arms
      • Lady Mairghread Wilson – Argent Shield
      • Sable of South Downs – Award of Arms
    • Submissions registered at LOAR
      • Lady Juliane de Vivonne – badge
      • Master Mathias Blackett and Mistress Mara Palmer – joint badge; household name was returned
      • Ruqayah al-Zarqa – device change
    • Submissions in Society Commentary
      • Jurgen der Vielfrass – new name and device
      • Quintus Valerius Gracchus – new name and device
      • Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle – new device
      • Lady Myndee of of South Downs – new name and device
      • Nikon Davidowicz – new name and device
      • Lord Mark de Wyttenye – new alternate name and device
      • Lady Stella di Silvestri – new alternate name; badge was returned at Kingdom
    • Submissions in Kingdom Commentary
      • THL Andreva Rigaldi – new name
      • Margot de Saint Denis – device resubmission
    • Submitted to Kingdom
      • Tryggvi Tryggsson – new name
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • Sir Gelleys has offered up an armored practice for unit/melee training, to be held the second Sunday of the month, in order to make ready for fall events (including Foxes and Castle Wars)
      • Project night, focusing on armor workshops and repairing loaner gear, will take place next week at Baronial Project Night.
      • The Kingdom Marshallate will count the Tuesday evening armored practice held at Swift Cantrell as an Owl’s Nest practice, since the location is within the shire and many of the participants are members of the shire
      • Jaden Baron has agreed to be the new deputy armored marshal (yay!)
    • Owl’s Nest (Lady Mairghread is serving as their knight marshal until they have one established)
      • Received the rest of the loaner gear from Crispin
      • Owl’s Nest has finally got their own knight marshal again (yay!), so Mairghread no longer has to be responsible for that anymore. The joint Owl’s Nest/South Downs’ Tuesday evening armored practice at Swift Cantrell will continue as before.
    • Youth
      • Nothing to report
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • Our practices are averaging about 10 people per practice, with 5-8 people on a line at a time
    • We’ve also been getting a lot of kids attending practice (or wanting to), so we will be looking at acquiring more youth loaner gear; we still have funds available from our initial budget request, so we will just move forward with the purchases
    • This Sunday (15 July), their Excellencies will host the Live Weapons Baronial Championship, so come on out! We will have a celebrity guest marshal to marshal the event
    • Mara is looking for volunteers to become live weapons marshals-in-training; if interested, please contact her directly
    • Please check the Facebook group, South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice to track upcoming practices.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, at Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • Brendan thanked Master Ximon for his help in getting loaner gear to practices when he (Brendan) had work conflicts with practices.
    • We have plenty of rapier marshals-at-large, so even when Brendan can’t attend practice, there has been no problem with having marshal coverage at practices
    • Reminder: Lord Konrad will be hosting a regional rapier practice at his home in Jasper. Facebook link to the event is here.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • Justina has a carful of gold key that was donated by a former SCAdian that she will need help processing/repairing.
    • Justina would like to hold another Baronial swap meet before? after? DragonCon, since she may not have use for all the donated items.
    • If you have borrowed any Gold Key, please return to Justina as soon as possible. Thanks!
    • Gold Key database is now available
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
    • Lady Justina taught last month’s class on poisons and the macabre and was well received
    • Katerina will teach this month’s class, on the new PayPal system for reservations. If you are interested in volunteering with troll at an SCA event, please come out for this class. She will teach both parts, covering reservations, troll, etc. THL Andreva encouraged everyone to consider taking the class, because the more people who are approved to handle the new Paypal registration/payment system, the easier it will be for those running troll at events.
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • Quarterly report was due yesterday (10 July), and was submitted on time
    • Our current accounts show that we had $10,621 in the bank at the beginning of the quarter, and we are now at approximately $8,000. This is due to having just made payments such as the storage unit rental, site fees, etc., and is rather average for us at this time of the year. Our two big events in the fall will take care of our finances.
    • Mistress Allesandra will be the new deputy (yay!)
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff! Yay!
    • Lucien planning to have another storage unit inventory update after Pennsic; he had planned to do this before Pennsic, but he has been asked by Sol Haven’s quartermaster to help them get set up.
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updates
      • Disk cleanup to get under the web site’s disk quota
      • Added Castle Wars 2018 banners and “Your Fate in the War of Roses” random image generator game – sharable to Facebook. Several members of the populace commented on how much fun the game is!
      • Updated Red Tower 2018 site with initial blurb, event site, link to Facebook page, link from toolbar
      • Updated website to WordPress 4.9.6
      • Added ability to share to social media from AtlantaSCA and tinkered with which images are used as thumbnails on facebook
      • Swapped Lucien and Ximon as Quartermaster and Deputy Quartermaster
      • Updated Alisandre to be Deputy A&S Minister
      • Updated honors and titles for Lucien, Sable, and Mairghread from Legends event
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Raven mentioned that recently, a couple of people had shown interest in becoming the deputy Chronicler, and asked if anyone is interested, please contact her directly.
    • Justina mentioned she is interested in serving as deputy, and has ideas about expanding social media opportunities, perhaps in conjunction with the Chatelaine?
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • After the recent “Find All The Sites” session, approximately 80 potential sites have been identified for further research. Anyone interested in helping research these potential sites, please contact Wistric.
    • A Future Farmers of America (FFA) site in Conyers was suggested by a member of the populace who had attended an event there recently. This has been added to the list.
    • It’s great that so many officers have gotten deputies lined up. All officers should consider finding a deputy for their position
    • September brings DragonCon!
      • Lady Stella is coordinating our presence at the parade. For those planning to attend, please check out the SCA at DragonCon page.
      • Owl’s Nest will be managing the table this year.
      • Ximon commented that he will again offer a six-pack (or equivalent) adult beverage of their choice to anyone who helps pull the chariot in the parade this year
    • Castle Wars!
      • Sir Iazzie is still waiting on getting the additional walls built – the funds are standing by.
      • Questions were raised about who owns the walls – Iazzie says we (South Downs) do, but things aren’t clear about the ownership of the towers
      • Things need to be determined about ownership and deputy ownership (in case the point person for the walls/towers is no longer available)
    • Do we still want to create a demo box? What would we want to include in it?
    • StreetsAlive will take place 30 September along Peachtree Street. Sawyer won’t be able to organize it, but Mistress Margavati can get info to Wistric to get things going. (note: this is the same weekend as MGT)
    • A high school teacher from Coweta County who attended the History Bee is interested in having us come do a demo at their school
  • Their Excellencies
    • Adela has re-authorized as an armored fighter! To celebrate, the baronial armored champion tournament will feature all combatants to fight her to sort out the fighters into brackets
    • Lorenzo is hoping to authorize in rapier by Red Tower
    • Their Excellencies reminded the populace that the baronial live weapons champion tournament will be held this Sunday during the live weapons practice, so come on out!
    • For those wanting to go to the live weapons practice and need arrows, they are available locally – just make sure you specify wood shaft, feather fletching, how much your bow draws (pounds) and the length of your draw
    • Upcoming events!
      • Royal University of Meridies (RUM) / Fighters’ Collegium (20-22 July)
        • Will be held in Murfreesboro – come on out!
      • Tournament of the Foxes (21-23 September)
        • We have sponsored Baronial teams for rapier and archery; we would love to also have an all-South Downs armored combat team as well! Represent!

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018), co-Autocrat Lady Veronica reporting
    • We have all volunteer positions covered; Veronica read through the list to confirm
    • Veronica will get together with Andreva and Mathias to work through herald logistics and duties
    • Mara requested donations of large pieces of cardboard for live weapons targets
    • Lorenzo asked about site tokens – Veronica has a bagful of tokens from past events that she will be using
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018)
    • Juliane needs volunteers! We already have 378 (via the Facebook event page) planning on attending.
    • If we don’t offer a GTFO breakfast Sunday morning, we should at least make sure there’s coffee “so people don’t die”
    • There was discussion about offering a volunteer war point, perhaps a York vs Lancaster competition
    • Need donations for the volunteer raffle
    • Ximon asked about a truck rental to haul supplies from the storage unit (and walls?) – Juliane confirmed the truck rental is included in the approved budget
    • Andreva reminded everyone that per Kingdom law, any receipts submitted for reimbursement can not include any personal items on the receipt, regardless of how minor the cost.
  • Midwinter A+S (9 February 2019)
    • We have a theme! The Gutenburg Printing Press!
    • That’s pretty much all that’s ready to mention now

Other SCA Business

  • The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild podcast is live, baby! Justina is one of the podcast’s field reporters. She said they are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!
  • In local courtesan news, the Courtesans of Meridies are sponsoring an adult-themed scribal challenge at Meridies Fall Coronation 2018! They want to see your naughty scribal side…
    • Prize: Replica Roman brothel coins (spintriae) and more!
    • Rules: Teams allowed, tracing allowed, incomplete allowed, documentation encouraged but not required.
    • Due to the nature of the subject, ONLY AGES 18+ may enter this challenge.
  • Justina is also sponsoring a category in the Meridies Scribal Challenge for Fall Coronation!
    • Best use of Poisonous Pigment in a Scroll
    • Prize: Historic poisonous plant seeds for the garden
    • Teams allowed, tracing allowed, documentation encouraged. Please include a description of materials used. Have fun!!!
  • Ca d’Oro has teamed up with the Sable and Gules Theater at Gulf Wars 2019. Lady Þýri’s fashion show was incredibly inspiring, so they are going to host a fashion show Monday of Gulf and will process to the Ca d’Oro department for a salon to discuss what each of them are wearing. They are looking for models – show off your garb of all eras and inspire newcomers! If you are interested, please contact Justina, or Sable and Gules directly
  • Iazzie mentioned that we need to start thinking about kingdom-level bids for 2019 – perhaps RUM/Fighters’ Collegium?

Non-SCA Business

  • None

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 1 August 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

June 2018 Business Meeting Followup

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

20 June 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

The purpose of tonight’s meeting is to have the autocrats of Red Tower and Castle Wars present their budgets for each event for review and approval before they are submitted to Kingdom.

Event Bid Presentations

  • Red Tower
    • Lord Mark reviewed the details of the budget breakdown. Please click here to view the budget
    • It has been confirmed that we will be able to have live weapons at the site (Camp Rutledge)
    • Motion to approve the bid was made, seconded, and approved unanimously
  • Castle Wars
    • Lady Juliane reviewed the details of the budget. Please click here to view the budget
    • Lady Juliane further reported that our Facebook event page shows we’ve already got 300 people saying that they’re planning on going to Castle Wars, and are asking about event registration.
    • THL Sibella will be making our site tokens (300 each red and white roses)
    • We will rent a U-Haul truck to transport the castle walls to and from site
    • Motion to approve the bid was made, seconded, and approved unanimously (except for Sir Iazzie, on principle 😀 )

Other SCA Business

  • Camp Kitchen Purchases
    • THL Mariana did a great job breaking down what we need and what we already have
    • Budget requested: $450 ($417 for supplies, remainder to cover shipping, etc.)
    • Motion to approve the bid was made, seconded, and approved unanimously
  • THL Andreva, our fearless reeve, pointed out that any purchases for SCA purposes must not include any personal purchases on the receipt – they must be completely separated.
  • Iazzie reported that Lady Mairghread received her Argent Shield at Legends last weekend (yay!)
  • Mairghread has been asked by the shire of Owl’s Nest to serve as their interim Knight Marshal, as they don’t have one right now.
  • Sir Caius Aurelius, the Kingdom Earl Marshal, has asked all the local groups to provide him with an inventory of their loaner gear; Mairghread will work on that for the Barony, and will be coordinating with our quartermaster, Lord Lucien, on this project. Mark will be adding further to our loaner gear (in process).

With all business being completed, the business meeting was closed and we returned to our regularly-scheduled dance practice.

The next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 11 July 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

June 2018 Baronial Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

6 June 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Events – Kingdom Arts & Sciences / Crown List (Artsy Crown)
      • Lord Mark de Wytteney – Argent Comet
      • Melusine La Pucelle D’aix La Fayette – Award of Arms
      • Svala – Award of Arms
    • Submissions
      • There are 13 submissions in various stages of the submissions pipeline
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • We have lots of new people coming to practice!
      • We have one complete and one nearly complete loaner kit (thanks, Lord Mark!)
      • Lord Mark is working on loaner gear this weekend, may need to buy some helms to accommodate all the new people. Mairghread will research costs for cheap helms. Sir Morgan suggested contacting Sir Wulfstan to see if he could help put something together.
      • Mark suggested we host a potential project night (this month?) to build some armor from pickle barrels.
    • Youth
      • Nothing to report
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, at Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • The warehouse we’ve used as an alternate site has not been available due to work schedules.
    • We have a potential new indoor site in Clarkston. Wistric is investigating.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • We had many newcomers at the 5th Wednesday potluck! yay!
    • The demo at the History Bee went really well, and we’ve been invited back for next year.
    • Gold Key has been completely itemized and organized, and Lady Roisin will help repair any items that need work (w00t!)
    • Gold Key database is now available
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
    • We had arts *and* sciences at artsy crown and it was good
    • Master Mathias taught last month’s class on commedia and we had a great turnout
    • Lady Justina will teach this month’s class, “Intro to Poisons and the Macabre”
    • There was a cheesecake throwdown at the potluck and everyone won!
    • Reminder: Caterina will be teaching a Paypal class for the Barony in July. THL Andreva encouraged everyone to consider taking the class, because the more people who are approved to handle the new Paypal registration/payment system, the easier it will be for those running troll at events.
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • Still digging through receipts, etc. due to Artsy Crown and quarterly report due at the same time
    • If you have receipts from Artsy Crown, please submit them ASAP if you want to get reimbursed
    • Even though reports aren’t yet finalized, things are looking good financially this quarter for the Barony
    • Payments for site fees, etc., are starting to come due for Red Tower
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updates
      • Several updates to Artsy Crown 2018 event page.
      • Posted “Which will you choose?” graphic on Castle Wars 2018 page, updated site to Al-Sihah Shrine.
      • Added profile page for Mistress Molli Rose Kekilpenny
      • Updated event listings (removed Summer Collegia and Panhandle Skirmishes)
      • Facebook changed API so that content from Facebook groups can no longer be displayed. Changed all facebook feeds to a link to the facebook page.
      • Updated Fighter Practice page to make WHEN practices are held more visible (in response to someone who showed up at the practice site who said he could not find the time the practice is scheduled)
      • Added June/July/August dates for Live Weapons and Archery practices.
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Thanks to everyone for all the hard work over the past few weeks for events
    • We are planning a project night to Find All The Sites on Monday and perhaps Wednesday at next week’s meeting? This will be an ongoing project
    • Currently working on finalizing our bid for Red Tower – we will present the bid in two weeks to discuss and vote
    • Received a list of Baronial kitchen supplies of what we have and what we need, from THL Mariana; she will put together an estimate and we’ll see if we can fund the purchase of new supplies
    • This year, ConjurationCON is the same weekend as Castle Wars, so we will need to find an alternate con to participate in this fall
    • A high school teacher from Coweta County who attended the History Bee is interested in having us come do a demo at their school
  • Their Excellencies
    • There’s still a lot of events on the schedule!
      • Pennsic
        • Who’s going to Pennsic? Who’s planning on camping with Meridies? If you are planning on going and camping with Meridies, please get in touch with Her Excellency and get your registration in ASAP! Deadline is 16 June.
      • Giant’s Dance
        • Who’s going? We are putting together a South Downs team
      • Royal University of Meridies (RUM) / Fighters’ Collegium
        • Will be held in Murfreesboro in July – come on out!
      • Tournament of the Foxes
        • We have sponsored Baronial teams for rapier and archery; we would love to also have an all-South Downs armored combat team as well! Represent!
    • We will host the Baronial archery championship at the July live weapons practice

Artsy Crown Post-Mortem

  • THL Piers thanked everyone for their help with the event
  • Lyst had to be held indoors, due to bad weather leading up to the event which left the fighting field a bog
  • We need to go through inventory and create packing lists for each baronial supply box so we can keep track of what goes where
  • Kitchen issues at the shrine
    • Feastcrat needs to be aware that fridge is very very small.
    • The walk-in was broken, which caused a problem. Can we follow up with the site to see if that can be fixed?
  • Need to put mowing in the contract since the farmer doesn’t have control of the mowing schedule
  • Attendee count: 297 adult members, 37 adult non-members, 26 children. Based on these numbers, we made approximately $1548.47 (50% of which goes to the Kingdom); this wasn’t as much as we had hoped (numbers were depressed due to the storms) but more than we expected 🙂
  • Andreva thanked everyone who worked troll (Saturday troll ran through feast), especially Stella, Wistric, Juliane, and others. Artsy Crown was the first real stress test on the PayPal system, and it went well.
  • We own our own 2 sliders for PayPal
  • Andreva reminded us of the upcoming PayPal class + registration in July (A+S). This is important because Caterina has been doing registrations for all events in Meridies, which is a lot of work. Being able to take care of registrations ourselves will be helpful to everyone.
  • Castle Wars revel fundraiser went really well – a total of $300+ raised
  • Need one giant bottle of hand sanitizer, because the little bottles get knocked over easily inside the portapotties
  • The Period Heroes supplies disappeared Sunday night – please keep an eye out for it! Wilhemina has offered several cigar boxes to donate to the cause
  • Lucien says everything in the storage unit will be re-inventoried before the Fall event season so everything will be ready. Every box will also be labeled with contents, as well as a list inside the storage unit. Autocrats will get a copy to help determine what they need in advance. It was suggested that sheet protectors and/or laminators for lists will make it easier to check things off
  • Lots of comments about how nice the site book looked
  • Both feasts went really well
  • For future events, we need a timeline for when things need to be due – these timelines will naturally be different for each event and site. Plan in advance so things don’t get rushed.
    • Insurance, event site fee, PayPal, etc.
    • Require/strongly encourage autocrats to use the checklist
  • Potential autocrat class for a future class night?

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018)
    • News! FB group has been created for planning, just let Mark know if you want to join
    • Still working out some details on bid – expected # attendees, etc.
    • Mark has contract to review with Wistric for site – Hard Labor Creek @ Camp Rutledge
    • There are several references in the contract that say we can’t move the beds in the cabins, as well as charges if the site has to remove staples/nails/etc
    • Co-autocrat (Lady Veronica) has contacted the site about doing live weapons. There is an archery site already there, but there are strict rules about it. She will need to research further, but it looks promising
    • Still need some volunteers for most positions – check with Mark about specifics
    • Recommend getting another local group to do fundraiser lunch – takes pressure off of Baronial staff
    • Theme – the (Greek) Gods Among Us
    • Dionysian revel – have a group other than South Downs host?
    • Site tokens? we have M A N Y – they’ll be brought to the mtg next week
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018)
    • Lady Juliane asked if everyone like the first meme for the event? Stay tuned for the next ones!
    • Baroness Sibella has offered to do embroidered site tokens
    • Revel theme – Now is the winter of our Disco Tent 😀
    • Still working on bid – wants to have bid ready by next business meeting
    • A list of volunteers is being developed – if you are interested in helping with the event, please contact Juliane
    • All the memes will be collected and published in the event booklet
    • We are considering holding a warlord tourney to choose captains – either Friday night of Castle Wars or beforehand (perhaps at Red Tower?)
    • How can we include a non-martial activity in with the martial aspects of the event – perhaps something like assassin? Juliane has chatted with Her Majesty and Countess Ysmay to represent the red and white roses

Other SCA Business

  • The July business meeting will not be held on its usual 1st Wednesday, since that is 4 July; it will be moved to the following Wednesday (11 July)
  • Next Saturday (9 June) is Legends, and they could really use the love; a really high caliber of fighter tends to show up, so it’s a great opportunity to fight experienced fighters you may not regularly get to fight. Legends will be held at the same site as Golden Lily
  • The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild
    • Justina announced that the Knowne World Courtesans Guild is starting a podcast and she will a field reporter! They are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!
    • In local courtesan news, the Courtesans of Meridies are sponsoring an adult-themed scribal challenge at Meridies Fall Coronation 2018! They want to see your naughty scribal side…
      • Prize: Replica Roman brothel coins (spintriae) and more!
      • Rules: Teams allowed, tracing allowed, incomplete allowed, documentation encouraged but not required.
      • Due to the nature of the subject, ONLY AGES 18+ may enter this challenge.
  • Justina is also sponsoring a category in the Meridies Scribal Challenge for Fall Coronation!
    • Best use of Poisonous Pigment in a Scroll
    • Prize: Historic poisonous plant seeds for the garden
    • Teams allowed, tracing allowed, documentation encouraged. Please include a description of materials used. Have fun!!!
  • Ca d’Oro has teamed up with the Sable and Gules Theater at Gulf Wars 2019. Lady Þýri’s fashion show was incredibly inspiring, so they are going to host a fashion show Monday of Gulf and will process to the Ca d’Oro department for a salon to discuss what each of them are wearing. They are looking for models – show off your garb of all eras and inspire newcomers! If you are interested, please contact Justina, or Sable and Gules directly
  • Lord Konrad announced he is a regional rapier practice at his home in Jasper, tentative scheduled for 12 August. Stay tuned!

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva’s choir has a concert coming up on 23 June, to benefit the American Red Cross. Please contact her for details and tickets
  • Lady Wilhemina brought a bunch of fabric for sale and/or delivery!

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 11 July 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

May 2018 Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 May 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by stunt Chronicler, Lord Lucien d’Artois, on behalf of Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler. Thank you, Lucien! 🙂

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • Had 3 authorizations at Newcomer’s Collegium, lots of new fighters showed up for the event.
    • Youth
      • Nothing to report
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • We had 8 adults and 2 youths take part in last month’s practice.
    • Supplies are good.
    • Upcoming practices are scheduled for May 20 and June 3; July’s practice is still TBD.
    • Please check the Facebook group, South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice to track upcoming practices.
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Events – Spring Coronation
      • Lord Piers Simmons – Grant of Arms
    • Events – Fools War
      • Roisin McAllister – Award of Arms
    • Submissions
      • None
    • Helped run heraldlic consultation table at Newcomers’ Collegium
    • Mentioned that there will be a heraldic consultation table at Artsy Crown
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • Introduced three newcomers attending tonight’s meeting – Catherine, Adam, and Nikki. Welcome!
    • Inquired if anyone is planning to go to Black Axe – we need to get Gold Key back from the event
    • Working on a database of Gold Key – goal is to have it done by the end of the quarter.
    • Two demos coming up:
      • History Bee on 31 May; we don’t have event specifics yet, but 31 May is check in day
      • Amazing Castle at the Children’s Museum in Atlanta, 9 June; we need volunteers to staff several stations in the exhibit, including baker, tailer, puppet show, thrones (for the kids to sit in), perhaps a fighting demo as well?
      • THL Piers will make Facebook events for the upcoming demos – if you are interested in volunteering for any demos, check there first.
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • Last month’s class, “Korean Sock Patterns,” was taught by Lady Stella
    • This month’s class on Commedia del Arte will be taught by Master Mathias.
    • Working on getting classes together for Artsy Crown
    • Mistress Sunneva announced she has a deputy – Lady Alisandre (yay!)
    • Reminder: Caterina will be teaching a Paypal class for the Barony in July. THL Andreva encouraged everyone to consider taking the class, because the more people who are approved to handle the new Paypal registration/payment system, the easier it will be for those running troll at events.
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you! you know it’s one of your new year’s resolutions) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A+S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through August.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them, Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, temporarily moved to Blackburn Park due to the lighting situation at Liane Levetan. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • Lord Brendan is looking for a deputy – please contact him if interested.
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • Andreva is still looking for a deputy – if you’re interested, please contact her directly. If you can use Excel, you can do this job!
    • No official report yet – still waiting on the bank statement.
    • We received a donation to the Barony (yay!)
    • Artsy Crown is coming up! Volunteers are needed for troll – ideally, 4, but minimum of 2 per time slot. Troll will open an hour before A&S on Saturday and one hour before Crown on Sunday. Please consider volunteering for a slot, especially during crunch time, which will be Saturday mornings (before A&S gets underway) and Sunday morning, before Crown List begins.
    • Lisa has offered to teach a mini-paypal class for the Barony before Artsy Crown, in order to get volunteers certified for troll.
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updated:
      • Pages for Piers and Roisin; if you need an update done, please contact Pietro
      • Artsy Crown event page
      • Created stub pages for Red Tower and Castle Wars
      • Posted images from Stella’s Korean Sock Patterns class
      • If you have a photo you’d like to post on the Baronial website, please contact Pietro
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • No report – stuck at work
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We will take attendance at meetings and other activities, including fighter practices
    • This month has a 5th Wednesday, so we will be hosting our in-garb potluck. The populace is encouraged to wear their best garb and bring a dish to share.
  • Their Excellencies
    • We’ve had a lot of events, and lots of South Downers at Newcomers! Lots of SD in the fashion show. Happy to see people out and about!
    • Artsy Crown
      • South Downs will have a group encampment at the event; if you are interested in camping with up, please get in touch with Her Excellency – she will need your tent measurements (including guy lines) so sufficient space can be set aside.
      • We will have out banners up!
      • We still need volunteers for the event, including troll, portapotty duties, and site heralds. Please help so we can make the event run smoothly.
    • Pennsic
      • If you are planning on going and camping with Meridies, please get in touch with Her Excellency and get your registration in by 16 June.
    • Giant’s Dance
      • There will be a team competition at the event, featuring A&S, heralds, live weapons, armored, and rapier; Adela would like to put together a South Downs team at the event if possible.
      • The event will be held at a primitive site at a distillery; tours of the distillery will be offered!

Upcoming Events

  • Artsy Crown (26-29 May 2018)
    • Schedule is currently tentative; we’re waiting for info from Their Majesties – as soon as we get their final info, we’ll finalize the schedule and get them to approve it.
    • We do not yet have site tokens (we will need approximately 500, as that is the average attendance)
    • His Majesty wants archery and thrown weapons at the event, Wounded Warrior benefit tournament on Sunday after Crown.
    • Two weeks prior to the event, we will start killing ants on site and have asked to have the site mowed the week prior. 10 AM – 12 if you want to help with ant killing, 5 pm for everyone else.
    • There is a menu for the Saturday fundraiser lunch; funds will go towards the Castle Wars revel fund. Sunday’s fundraiser lunch will be hosted by Southern Consortium.
    • Feast planning is going along well! Period feast is Saturday, with a theme of the Crusades: removes will feature English/French, Iberian Peninsula, and Middle Eastern for last remove. Sunday will be a meat feast, potatoes and corn.
    • Tir Briste sold us some toilet paper, we are going to borrow some items from Sir Geoffrey in order to handle the pottycrat duties.
    • We have plenty of materials for coffee, hot chocolate, stir sticks, paper products, etc. Coffee filters are at the house. Illy will be handling coffee for her breakfast.
  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018)
    • Reservationist is now Lord Lucien.
    • Lady Veronica will be the co-autocrat with Lord Mark. Things are in the works, getting some ideas together and just need to put it together.
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018)
    • Want to start hyping Castle Wars now, vignettes/teasers in order to advertise the event. War of the Roses theme. Want to get people excited about the theme, going to start putting up staff soon.

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva’s choir has a concert coming up on 18 and 20 May, to benefit the American Red Cross. Please contact her for details and tickets
  • Lord Lucien mentioned that Museum Replicas will hold their annual sale on 19 May (you know you wanna go!)

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 June 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

April 2018 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

4 April 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Events – Gulf Wars
      • THL Bianca the Inquisitive – Meridian Cross
      • Mistress Mara Palmer – Order of the Bough
      • Morganna Bellachose – Award of Arms
    • Submissions
      • None
    • Use your local herald – he’s good!
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • Armored practice attendance has improved now that the weather has improved.
    • Youth
      • There will be a youth armored fighting class at Newcomers’ Collegium (Owl’s Nest, 28 April).
      • Also teaching classes at Newcomers will be Lord Mark, as well as Master Mathias and Sir Iazzie, who will teach a class on alternate weapons
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • There will be an SCA swap meet at next week’s meeting (11 April). Bring garb you no longer wear, craft items, feast gear, camp gear, fabric, etc. This is a great opportunity for newcomers and people who need SCA gear to be more comfortable at events, to try a new craft, and for more seasoned members to declutter their homes.
    • Demo in Woodstock (6 April, 6:00pm – 9:00pm)
    • Demo at the Children’s Museum (9 June) in support of the “Amazing Castle” exhibit
    • Lord Mark reported that people from last month’s demo at the Atlanta Masonic Temple loved the demo so much that they want to send us money.
    • Mark also mentioned that in Tir Briste, they hold “learn to sew” nights – shire members brought in sewing machines, and everyone learned how to make a simple T tunic that was then donated to Gold Key
    • Piers was contacted about holding a demo at KSU to help get them set up for their new student group
    • North GA Co-Prosperity Sphere – find us on Facebook! Join us! Help us coordinate shenanigans!
    • Gold Key: I am going to itemize and input info of the gold key into a google doc so that we can keep a running record of what we have. I hope in the upcoming months to have a shirt/chemise drive… if anyone has any ideas or tips getting more underclothes to gold key, I am very open to suggestions 🙂
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We have arts! We have sciences!
    • This month’s class, “Korean Sock Patterns,” will be taught by Lady Stella.
    • We will continue to work on baronial banners at the next meeting
    • Artsy Crown – stay tuned for forms to register to teach a class at Artsy Crown
    • Reminder: Caterina will be teaching a Paypal class for the Barony in July, as well as at Newcomer’s Collegium. THL Andreva encouraged everyone to consider taking the class, because the more people who are approved to handle the new Paypal registration/payment system, the easier it will be for those running troll at events.
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you! you know it’s one of your new year’s resolutions) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A+S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through August.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them, Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, temporarily moved to Blackburn Park due to the lighting situation at Liane Levetan. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • Thanks to Master Wistric for teaching the new fencers!
    • Lady Mairghread will be stepping up as Kingdom Youth Rapier Marshal deputy. She is soliciting all suggestions to help build that program.
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • First Quarter report is in (yay!)
    • Andreva reported that we have money! Approximately $8,500 is in our bank account. The report is available if anyone wants details, just ask Andreva
    • Income this month was $1,700; outgoing expenses totaled approximately $3700
    • We had a typical first quarter; we’ll have more income with Artsy Crown
    • Andreva will run troll for Artsy Crown, as she has taken the Paypal class. She encourages everyone – especially if you are interested in volunteering at Troll – to take the class, so you can help with reservations and taking credit card payments onsite. At future events, the Head Troll will likely need to have taken the Paypal class before the event.
    • Andreva is still looking for a deputy – if you’re interested, please contact her directly. If you can use Excel, you can do this job!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updated:
      • Posted processional pics from Gulf Wars
      • Added 3rd Tuesday scribal night to A&S page, put links to class night and scribal night on sidebar menu of main page
      • Updated Lady Juliane’s and Lord Lucien’s devices
      • Updated awards for THL Bianca and Mistress Mara
      • Attempted to address feedback from Ian the Green for all webministers from the SCA Facebook group:
        • Made font size 16% bigger throughout web site, some other changes for readability (it was too small – is it big enough now? feedback requested)
        • Refreshed “About Us”, “Neighboring Groups”, “Officers”, “Chatelaine” pages
      • Artsy Crown: Added PayPal registration, Land Map, more staff info to event web page
      • Added spring coronation, legends, RUM to “upcoming events”
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Last meeting, we allocated $250 for banner poles and related supplies for baronial banners; total came out to $305
    • Motion to allocate funds passes (nearly unanimously)
  • Their Excellencies
    • There are approximately 5,000 events happening this month – They will be at all of them, and *we* should be at all of them 😉
    • Fools’ War
      • We will need help getting castle walls to and from site
      • Thanks to Sunneva and Ximon for all their work on the banner poles and the Baronial banners
      • Come camp with us at Fools War! We have lots of room, and we’ll have a spiff site! if you haven’t let Her Excellency know you want to camp, please contact her ASAP so she’ll make sure you’re accounted for
      • We either need a food coordinator for camp, or alternately, everyone can potluck
    • Newcomers’ Collegium
      • Great new site (Red Top Mountain State Park), it will be fun!
      • There will be great classes offered, and an SCA fashion show!
      • We should see how this site works for this event and if it might be suitable for some of our future events
      • They are still looking for someone to host a fundraiser lunch – are we interested? Or should another group do it?
      • The PayPal class will be offered at the event; if you are interested in helping with troll at an event, please take the class
    • Coronation
      • Will be held at Dalwhinnie Fields in Alabama
      • Will be well-attended by members of our Barony
      • We will have the Baronial pavilion set up – we’ll need volunteers to help set it up
      • We may need to move court indoors because of potential rain this weekend – stay tuned!
    • Dreamstone
      • Hosted by the Barony of Bryn Madoc, and will be held at Camp Daniel Morgan / Hard Labor Creek State Park, Rutledge GA
      • Event theme is “All the Knowne World’s a Stage,” featuring theatre, arts & sciences, bardic, and a scriptorium
    • Also, if you are planning to go to Pennsic, Adela is the landcrat for Meridian Royal Encampment, so please contact her if you’d like to camp with Meridies

Upcoming Events

  • Artsy Crown (26-29 May 2018)
    • Event has been published in Popular Chivalry, so we’re official! 🙂
    • PayPal has been set up, so we’re good to go with reservations
    • Still looking for volunteers for several positions, including heralds and troll
    • THL Mariana shared the proposed menu for the Saturday evening feast – you will want to attend feast, it will be memorable! Its theme is the Crusades, with different countries representing each remove (England, the Iberian Peninsula, and Moorish North Africa and Spain
    • Feast will be strictly limited to 100 seats, and reservations are already coming in – so no dawdling!
    • We need sponsors for fundraiser lunches (both Saturday and Sunday) – we want to give South Downs first dibs, but if no one is interested, we will expand the offer to other groups
  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018)
    • No report today – autocrat has the plague
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018)
    • We will have a feast again at Castle Wars – a hunter’s feast (featuring venison, boar, etc.); Lord Bram will assist with planning

SCA Business

  • Woodstock demo this Friday (6 April) – please contact Lady Justina for info about where to meet and set up

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva’s choir has a concert coming up on 18 and 20 May, to benefit the American Red Cross. Please contact her for details and tickets
  • Lord Lucien mentioned that Museum Replicas will hold their annual sale on 19 May (you know you wanna go!)

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 May 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

February Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 February 2018, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Lucien announced that the heralds will have a consultation table set up at 40 Year, so come by with your questions.
    • Submissions
      • Five baronial badges were registered at Laurel
      • Mathias Blackett – household name and badge
      • Juliane de Vivone – badge resubmitted
      • Ruqayah al-Zarqa – device change
    • Duke John was asked about the history of the Kestrel – he said it was inspired by an award offered by the Shire of Sol Haven, which recognizes those who contribute to the local group but aren’t actually a member of the group
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • We’ve had a great turnout at practices, so much so that the new fighters have had to swap out loaner gear between them (yay!)
      • Several of the new fighters are ready to be authorized.
      • One fighter (Brady) is technically a member of Owl’s Nest, but he’s been training with Mairghread; still needs a gorget. Lord Mark has offered to build one for him this weekend
    • Youth
      • She has two fighters who want to authorize by Pennsic
      • One of the youth fighters asked if she (Mairgrhead) could run youth combat at Newcomers’ Collegium, but she hasn’t yet received her paperwork from Kingdom
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • Last practice got rained out
    • Our next series of practice have been posted to our FB group
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them, Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, temporarily moved to Blackburn Park due to the lighting situation at Liane Levetan. We’re averaging 2-12 people.
    • We are still waiting for updates from Liane Levetan Park about the lighting situation and work order
    • Thanks to all who’ve helped cover marshaling practices while Ben is working!
    • For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • After two years in the office, Lady Stella announced that she is stepping down as Chatelaine and that Lady Justina will be stepping up as our new Chatelaine. Thank you for all your hard work, Lady Stella!
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We had a great turnout at Midwinter A+S; 14 classes were offered.
    • Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you! you know it’s one of your new year’s resolutions) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A+S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through July.
    • This month’s class on building a breakdown banner pole will be taught by Master Ximon. He points out that this is not a historically accurate banner pole, but it does pass the “10-ft rule”
    • Sunneva is looking for a deputy, and asked if you contacted her previously about this, to please reach out to her again.
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • Andreva reported that we have (some)money! Approximately $10,000
    • We have a new account at Regions Bank, and are currently waiting on the new checks to arrive and to finish closing out the old Bank of America account. Because of this,
      she needs to have all receipts in by March 1
    • She reported that we had 220 people at Midwinter A+S, including 13 children and 28 paid non-members (including the cast of the local production of Spamalot)
    • Andreva is also looking for a deputy – if you’re interested, please contact her directly
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updated:
      • Class schedule
      • Live weapons practice schedule
      • Web pages for new baronial awards
      • Posted photos from 40-Year, cub scout demo, and Midwinter A+S
      • Class notes
      • Is adding members’ devices to their webpages
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Still need articles for the Winter 2018 issue of The Read Tower; goal of the newsletter is to inform, particularly newcomers, about what we do, why we enjoy what we do in the SCA, and why a newcomer would want to take part. Examples:
      • Officers’ column: each Baronial officer has a column where they can describe what they do, what’s cool about what you do as that officer, and anything (events, practices, etc) you want to publicize. Roughly 500 words (a page or so?)
      • Guild reps: again, you have a space where you can let the populace know what you do, why you find it cool, and what your Guild has going on. And again, roughly 500 words would be great
      • Articles I’d like to have written, 500-750 words (ish); if you’d like to write an article, please let me know and we’ll chat:
        • Reveling at Castle Wars: one of the things that makes Castle Wars special, the camping and reveling; article and photos  STILL NEED
        • Presentation (?) Herald at Crown: what it’s like to process with a combatant at Crown and announce them at the beginning of the tournament? STILL NEED
        • Rapier activity beyond the world of the SCA (SERFO/HEMA) (thanks, Brendan de Hay!)
        • A+S Competitions at Midwinter A+S (Thanks, Sunneva!)
        • Class handouts, recipes, etc. – please include images (I can scan if necessary), and a writeup introducing the material (ongoing)
        • Artwork and photos – again, I can scan artwork if necessary (thanks, Andreva, for the 40 Year photos!)
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Anachrocon – if you have Viking garb, wear it! If you don’t, wear what you like.
      There was a problem with setting up classes, so we’ll just have fighting otuside and an inside table for recruiting. Wistric will update the Anachrocon schedule on the FB group page
  • Their Excellencies
    • Gulf Wars
      • Who’s going?
      • If you’re planning on going to Gulf Wars and plan to be on site by Tuesday morning of War Week, please let Her Excellency know – she would love to have members of the Barony take part in the procession and carry the Baronial banner, looking fab and badass 🙂

Event Report

  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • Lady Alisandre sent in an event report as she was not able to attend the meeting
      • We need to find an alternate site instead of UWG – the way the University handles reservations makes it difficult to confirm the site until just a couple of weeks before the event. Suggestions from the populace:
        • Red Top Mountain (where Owls Nest will host Newcomers’ Collegium)
        • Sir Iazzie suggested Gwinnett County Fairgroungs – we could use one hall as a sleeping hall,
          and one divided up for classes. Lots of parking.
        • Cobb County Fairgrounds
    • Everyone agreed that Midwinter A+S was a great and successful event!
    • Lord Pietro was tasked with passing along cheers to Alisandre

Upcoming Events

  • Artsy Crown (26-29 May 2018)
    • Our bid has been submitted; we haven’t heard anything back yet but Iazzie feels confident that we will get the bid
    • Sir Lochlann will do the fighters’ feast Sunday night
    • Need someone to take care of Sunday breakfast – Lady Illy volunteered
    • Need someone to take care of Monday morning GTFO breakfast
    • Help with Royal lunches (Lady Justina will be the royal liaison, but will need help)
    • Still need to determine who will do the fundraiser lunch
    • Iazzie has reached out to the autocrat for Fools’ War (also held at the Shrine) – they will be treating the site for fire ants, so it should be in pretty good shape before our event
    • Lady Emmelina offered to coordinate a fundraiser art sale at Artsy Crown, with proceeds going to the Castle Wars revel (yay!); need to figure out logistics/space between classes,
      lunch, etc., but everyone loved the idea
  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018)
    • Will be held a Hard Labor Creek in Rutledge, GA
    • We have an autocrat! Lord Mark de Wytteney!
    • We have a theme – Bacchanalia! Please send Mark any ideas you may have for the event
    • Some ideas were developed at dinner after 40 Year
    • Iazzie mentioned that he knows a couple of people who are interested in doing feast

SCA Business

  • Lady Justina got great feedback for Period Heroes at Midwinter (yay!) Contributions are always welcome! Period Heroes will make an appearance at Ca’ d’ Oro at Gulf Wars
  • Wistric mentioned the state of the storage unit; seems there’s a lot of materials for unfinished (unstarted?) projects
    • There’s a fair amount of leftover fleece from the Red Tower sheep – Illy suggested that it could be used for cows for Bryn Madoc (Danelaw?)
    • An entire bin of moving blankets which will be turned into storage bags for the thrones
    • Baronial regalia? A linen unfinished cloak or cassock with baronial arms – it may well be a cover or shade for the thrones for court (fits into a frame). The frame has been lost over the years, so it could become a project for something else. Wistric will bring the fabric to the next meeting.
    • A full bolt of canvas that was originally going to be a painted wall; perhaps it could become two smaller walls (easier to handle
    • Several unfinished banners that Baroness Rhiannon had worked on once upon a time; Ximon would like several volunteers to help with it
    • Several bolts of cotton duck (white, green, black) – perhaps can be used for loaner gear? Mark volunteered to help with this
    • Additional silk for banners – we definitely need more banners as a Barony! Also a frame and paint; could become a group project night, teaching how to make a painted silk banner
    • Lady Juliane would love to encourage South Downs to be more spiffy in 2018
    • Ximon suggested that we break down the banner project into easier manageable sessions: develop design, assess silk pieces, etc.
  • Mairghread mentioned that Thor’s Mountain baronial candidates are now down to 4 (one had had his membership lapse); the remaining had a Q+A event that was recorded and posted. The new Baron and/or Baroness will step up at May Faire. Her Excellency Thor’s Mountain has been ill, and the Vicar has stepped up recently to handle administrative issues.
  • Juliane mentioned that His Excellency is interested in restoring the Red Raven as a polling order; is there a gap in the OP that needs to be added/corrected?
  • Ximon thanked everyone who contributed to the MoB fundraiser lunch at Midwinter A+S

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva’s chorale has a concert coming up, featuring folk songs in a lot of different languages. Concert is in May 18 and 20
  • Mairghread will be on active duty orders for the next couple of months, and it may impact her attendance at Gulf Wars. Sunday practice availability will also be spotty for the next couple of months, due to needed house repair
  • dilly dilly!

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 March 2018, at our new site, Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven