Category Archives: Meeting Minutes

January Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

4 January 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois – our new Herald – called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Mentioned plans for newsletter
      • Plans to publish it quarterly, first issue (hopefully) end of March
      • Seeking artists, writers, photographers for content – would like to show what we are doing as a barony, and offer as much original content as possible
      • Baronial officers and marshals are welcome to contribute content – A+S Salon, Marshals’ Column, etc.
      • Other content ideas: articles from guilds; event summaries (with photos); recipes (does the South Downs Supper Club still exist?); How To Improve Your Fighting or Camping Kit; etc.
      • Articles should be ~250 words (about one page)
      • More information (including links to release forms) forthcoming, both on South Dows website (here) and Facebook group
      • Oh, and we need a title for the newsletter – ideas welcome!
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices are going well! We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have a new winter practice location for Tuesday evenings, at Gerrick’s house in Peachtree Corners, with a backup at Brendan’s office warehouse.
    • For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook.
    • THL Mathias took care of the insurance paperwork so we can have our practices where we need to have them.
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! Midwinter A+S has a website! Yay!
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Bram Halfdannarson – passed Kingdom
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have had some new people show up and they’re coming back, yay!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • December was a great month! THL Mathias taught a great class on singing.
    • A+S competition season has started. Mistresses Allesandra and Sunneva will again offer their class on the basics of entering an A+S competition, including feedback, how do judges review work, what the judging sheets are all about, etc., just in time for Stella Nova at Midwinter A+S.
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • We have money! What shall we do with some of it? (See below!)
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal nights continue to be held on the first Monday of the month at Their Excellencies’ home.
    • Her Excellency Adela is planning on attending Black Gryphon (17-19 February) – if you are interested in carpooling or caravaning, please contact her
    • This year’s Meridian Knowne Worlde social is on Saturday night (edit: rumors abound that it may been moved earlier in the week, but I currently can’t find confirmation); Lady Ysmay and Sir Tim are running it and seek volunteers
    • More Gulf Wars: there is an open call for advertisements – events, non-merchanting announcements, etc., are sought out
    • There will again be a volunteer raffle at Gulf Wars! Volunteers can earn points for their local group (South Downs!) and raffle tickets to score lovely prizes!
    • Opening day procession is likely Tuesday morning of War Week. We would like to have banners made for procession, should have 8 total (6 new?) in time
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Midwinter A+S is coming! Now is the time to write recommendations for deserving gentles, as Crown will be attending! Mathias reminded everyone that if you are not 100% sure that a person has a particular award check the Meridian Order of Precedence – you would be surprised at the awards people deserve but DONT HAVE.
    • War College will be held in Alabama the same weekend as Midwinter A+S
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Fighting classees at Midwinter? Check with Lord Robert if you need support for your class

 

Upcoming Events

  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
    • There will be fighting! Classes! Feasting! (Twelfth Night feast is potluck – check FB event page or website (below) for details)
    • Event website
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (3-5 February 2017)
    • We should start looking for closer-in event sites where we can hold MWA+S and we can spread out; weekend event with A+S on Saturday and fighting on Sunday at the same site, for example
    • Entry deadline for Stella Nova @ is coming up
    • We have a whopping 2 reservations (!!!) please pre-reg!
    • We have 11 teachers, looking for more – talk to Lady Veronica if you are interested
    • We need volunteers for troll, people to put up and take down directional signs. Master Ximon has volunteered to take care of the street signs
    • We need volunteers for setup, who can be on site early Saturday morning early. Because the site is not secure, it is recommended we set up Saturday morning (6:30-7:00am) instead of Friday night. Several people volunteered.
    • There is no official floor plan, but we’d love to have one set up for reference (chronicler’s note: there is now a simple one on the event program)
    • The Meridian Order of the Blade will sponsor a fundraiser lunch – stew, drink, cookies for $5. There was discussion about where can lunch be set up, especially if weather is bad?
    • We have two merchants already requesting space, we could possibly fit as many as 4 on the first floor merchants area, with maybe a couple more on a different floor
    • Please contact Zeliha if you would like to pre-register
    • Anyone interested in volunteering, please contact Lord Pietro
    • Will there be a regional practice on Sunday, since War College will be the same weekend? Unlikely, but we will still have our regular practice that Sunday
  • Kingdom-Level Events for 2017
    • Bids for Red Tower and Castle Wars are due in April to encourage newer autocrats to step up – it’s never too early to put a bid together for these events!
    • Iazzie has offered to co-autocrat to help teach/supervise a newer autocrat
    • Red Tower (7 October 2017) – potential site is Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held).
      • We would need to put reservation in with 50% deposit. It’s a relatively expensive site with weird pricing structure, but we have the resources to give it a shot. Payoff could be HUGE
      • Bacon Bash is not a conflict in 2017
      • Duke John expressed concern that we have to go out of state for an event. Where else can we get a large cabin site for such events? We are always looking for closer-in sites, but there aren’t many that could handle an event this size.

 

Other SCA Business

  • THL Andreva and Mistress Jadi will host an A+S project night on the 2nd Thursday of the month (a week from tomorrow)
  • Margavati asked if anyone was planning on/interested in going to Trimaris’ A+S event this weekend?
  • Maire has completed taking over the baronial storage unit, and will have sign in/out sheets for all supplies to help keep track of everything
  • This year’s Streets Alive! is gearing up – Abel is coordinating, so stay tuned! Last year was a ton of fun, try to plan for it this year!

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Lord Bram will be taking part in Battle of the Nations as part of a 21 person team. The event will be in Barcelona – immediately, several people offered to serve as translator, crew, managers, etc. Because Barcelona 🙂
  • Secret Santa gifts were then exchanged among the populace

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 January 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

Happy holidays!

–Raven

December Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 December 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

THL Bjorn called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (THL Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Iastreb Desislavich – passed Kingdom
      • Stella di Silvestri – returned from Kingdom
    • Court Reports
      • Castle Wars – Royal Court
        • Pietro di Conti – AoA
      • Castle Wars – Baronial Court
        • Wistric Oftun – Tower Or
        • Veronica de Lucca – Tower Or
        • Alisandre Ysabeau de la Chapelle – Baronial Arts Champion
    • Bjorn announced that he will be stepping down as South Downs herald, and Lucien d’Artois will step up as the new Baronial Herald. Bjorn got a big round of applause in gratitude for all his work.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Mistress Allesandra taught a very well-received class last week on A+S submissions. There is a lot of interest in offering it again before Midwinter A+S, with more time before the event so everyone would have time to make adjustments to their A+S entries.
    • Allesandra is interested in teaching a class in January (topic TBD)
    • THL Mattias would like to teach a class on performing arts (discussion with Veronica will ensue)
    • Will there be an open A+S competition at MW, or just Stella Nova? As of now, there isn’t other A+S planned, but perhaps there should be to encourage non-beginners?
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have a new winter practice location for Tuesday evenings, at Gerrick’s house in Peachtree Corners, with a backup at Brendan’s office warehouse.
    • For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
    • Wistric was named QRC at Magna Faire; everyone laughed that he will have to stand up in court again
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Final numbers from Castle Wars – $5739.60 profit (more to follow in post-mortem)
    • Numbers are also available from Gulf Wars (need to get info from Maire)
    • We really need to look at where we should spend money for the Barony – conversation and plans are ongoing. Ximon suggested that we devote some time at next month’s meeting for proposals, etc.
    • We need to look at reducing/not increasing charges for events next year; we were quite fortunate in how we were charged for site rentals, etc. will discuss this further at January’s meeting.
    • Shower trailers for events at the Castle Wars site were suggested
    • Iastreb bought one of the pavilions we discussed previously and brought it to Crown. Was quite pleased with it, we could easily use 5 more.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal nights that have been held on first Thursdays will now be on the first Monday of the month at Their Excellencies’ home.
    • The populace is encourage to write recommendation letters for those who they find inspiring – Midwinter is coming! Matthias reminded everyone that if you are not 100% sure that a person has a particular award check the Meridian Order of Precedence – you would be surprised at the awards people deserve but DONT HAVE.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have had some new people show up at 5th Wednesday social and/or went to magna faire, yay!
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We had two injuries at Castle Wars
    • War Practice to be held Saturday, 10 December, in the shire of Depedale; likely SD practice Sunday as usual.

 

Recent Events

  • Castle Wars (17-20 November 2016) Post Mortem
    • Note: There is a more detailed analysis of the event compiled by CW staff. Please check with Wistric if you’d like to see it (Google Docs)
    • Pros
      • Live weapons field adjacent to rapier/armored was a big hit!
      • We had approximately an extra 100 people likely from Richard RaeFen’s memorial; would like to get the attendance numbers without the sad circumstances that increase attendance this year.
      • Having feast hall/tent available all weekend to hang out in was a great gathering spot
      • Excellent merchant turnout
      • Wistric has supply suggestions/needs for future
      • Feast was amazing, we should do it again! First Castle Wars feast in many years
      • Revel was excellent, but Justina stressed about the timing between court/memorial/feast/revel
  • Cons
    • Bulk of problems occurred during load-in
    • FIRE ANTS! Thorough fire ant treatment would cost $300 (suggested schedule: month before, 2 weeks before, and day before)
    • We need to address needing help to set up/staff/strike
      • Discussion about where to get more volunteers – within barony? encourage other groups? we should look at models of other large kingdom/interkingdom events
      • We go to other events to have a good time, we should make sure things are taken care of so others can have a good time. more service at our own events
      • Autocrats need to be more aggressive in recruiting volunteers
      • We need to develop culture where everyone is expected to help out in some way
      • We should work on how to get information out about what is needed
      • How to build rapport with other groups to coordinate service?
    • Traveler’s fare – there was confusion about whether it was being offered Thursday night (it wasn’t, but communication can be clearer about it)? Friday night kitchen tech failed. REMINDER – these were all experimental, hadn’t done at previous CW events. Overall, it was much appreciated.
    • With the drought and the high winds during the weekend, there was confusion about the burn ban.
    • Information point needs to be out on the field, not (just) at Troll

 

Upcoming Events

  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (3-5 February 2017)
    • Need teachers for classes! Matthias will teach heraldry 101; Mariana has offered to teach a course as well
    • War college on same weekend – should contact HRM to suggest it perhaps there’s a better weekend to assign it into kingdom law than the same weekend as MW
  • Kingdom-Level Events for 2017
    • Bids for Red Tower and Castle Wars are due in April to encourage newer autocrats to step up – it’s never too early to put a bid together for these events!
    • Iazzie has offered to co-autocrat to help teach/supervise a newer autocrat
    • Red Tower (7 October 2017) – potential site is Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held).
      • We would need to put reservation in with 50% deposit. It’s a relatively expensive site with weird pricing structure, but we have the resources to give it a shot. Payoff could be HUGE
      • Bacon Bash is not a conflict in 2017
      • Duke John expressed concern that we have to go out of state for an event. Where else can we get a large cabin site for such events? We are always looking for closer-in sites, but there aren’t many that could handle an event this size.

 

Other SCA Business

  • Secret Santa! gift exchange will be at January business meeting

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Mattias and Mistress Mara just bought a house – housewarming party on 12/23!

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 January 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

Happy holidays!

–Raven

November Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 November 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lord Brendan de Hay (mka Ben Hay), South Downs Celebrity Stunt Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report, thanks to Brendan for covering the meeting
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • All is well in rapier world. We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting). For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 5th Wednesday class (due to the Thanksgiving holiday) will be on how to prepare your A+S project for competition, taught by Mistress Allesandra. The A+S class meeting is also the 5th Wednesday potluck
    • Interested in taking part in Stella Nova at Midwinter A+S? Registration for Stella Nova closes in 15 days (17 November)!
      • For registration, you only need to include your name, your (Laurel) sponsor’s name, and project category
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have some new members! yay!
    • We will be taking part in ConjurationCon this coming weekend (5 November 2016). We will need dancers and ???
    • Castle Wars
      • Class schedule and Castle Wars patrol
      • Need two popups
      • Next meeting – we will paint arms of the populace for Castle Wars
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • We have money!
    • Yearly report sent in tonight (2 days late)
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! (yay!) We also have a website for Castle Wars! (yay encore!)
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Castle Wars – schedule sent to Wistric and has been posted on website
    • Please contact Robert on Facebook if you are interested in helping marshal
    • There will be Youth Combat at Castle Wars (yay!)
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions
      • Stella di Silvestri – submitted device
      • Iazzie – submitted new badge
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal night at-home will be tomorrow night (3 November)
      • Silk banners this weekend!
      • ??? banners
    • Castle Wars – please volunteer! We need volunteers throughout the event, especially cleanup!
    • If you are interested in retaining for Their Excellencies, please contact them
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Upcoming Events

  • ConjurationCon (5 November 2016)
    • Bryn Madoc and South Downs are co-coordinating the demo – if you are interested in taking part, please contact ???
    • If you are interested in volunteering, please get in touch with His Excellency Lorenzo
  • Crown List (11-13 November 2016)
    • Iazzie and Camulocaros will both be fighting in Crown List!
    • Baronial Pavilion will be near the field – all are welcome to stop by
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Takes place the week after Crown List
    • Still need volunteers:
      • Setup crew, starting at noon on Thursday 17 November
      • To help with stamping and threading site tokens – at meeting the Wednesday before Castle Wars
      • Troll
      • Kitchen cleanup
      • Site cleanup
      • Potty crew
      • Staff for Information Point
    • Revel at Castle Wars
      • Hat was passed for Revel donations. Justina has also coordinating a GoFundMe (not affiliated with South Downs, Meridies, or Society)
      • Need a tap for a commercial keg
      • Need beverage contributions
    • Zeliha is managing registration and announced she is happy to take reservations at the meeting
      • 160 total registered
      • 60 for feast (out of 100 spaces)
    • There will not be an overnight troll shift; troll will be closed between 2:00am and 7:00am
    • Registration will be extended – see website for details
    • Volunteer raffle – need donations!
    • 17 merchants have registered for Castle Wars
    • Anyone interested in camping with South Downs, please contact Lady Alisandre
    • Memorial events
      • Jochi Naran (Friday night)
      • Sir Richard Raefen
      • Viking ceremony to honor 6+ people who have passed this year, will be held Saturday evening after Court
  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
    • His Excellency South Downs will be attending
    • Feast will be potluck
    • Is anyone interested in creating a South Downs Twelfth Night event? It’s been done in the past, very low-key
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Will host Stella Nova
      • 12 entries already received, six from South Downs!
      • Reminder: Stella Nova registration only requires Name/Laurel Sponsor/Category; no details are required at this point
  • Bids for Future Events
    • Kingdom Level events for 2017
      • Spring Coronation
        • Site: Booker T Washington Park, in Chattanooga
        • First weekend in April (31 March – 2 April 2017)
        • Portia is willing to help/autocrat

 

Other SCA Business

  • Informal Baronial At-Home at Castle Wars
    • Pavilion will be open for knitting, knitting instruction, and socializing
    • Begins at 10:00am
    • Closes before Court
    • There will be alcohol
    • We will also be working on relic bags (for those who don’t knit) – materials will be provided

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva announced upcoming choir concerts, 2 and 4 December; please contact her for further information
  • SERFO (Southeast Renaissance Fencing Open) (11-13 November)
    • Organized by Master David, will be held at the Stone Mountain Community Center
    • Officially a HEMA event, but several SCA fencers take part
  • Duke John mentioned the Shakespeare First Folio exhibit at Emory
  • Vyviant at Georgia Tech needs volunteers to be interviewed for a research project on re-enacting
  • Fathom Events will be screening a rebroadcast of The National Theatre’s Hamlet, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, on 15 November

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 December 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

October Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

5 October 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 4th Wednesday class will feature Italian hemstitching, taught by Lady Alisandre.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting). For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
    • Lots of fighting at Red Tower – will discuss further in post mortem.
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Thank you to all who helped with Gold Key for Red Tower!
    • Are we interested in taking part in ConjurationCon (5 November 2016)?
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions – Name
      • Stella di Silvestri – passed Laurel
    • Court Reports
      • Red Tower – Royal Court
        • Tiberius of Meridies – Sovereign’s Pleasure
        • Sebastiannos Ionnides – Sovereign’s Pleasure
        • Ysabella Lucia Tirado de Aragon – AoA
        • Rebekah Zsido – AoA
        • Magnus Andersson – AoA
        • Camulocaros Bodogenicnos – Meridien Cross
        • Bjorn Gullhar – GoA
      • Red Tower – Baronial Court
        • Bjorn Gullhar – Red Raven
        • Pietro di Conti – Tower Gules
        • Jürgen der Veilfras – Tower Or
        • Juliane de Vivonne – Tower Or
        • Lucien d’Artois – Tower Or
        • Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain – Red Raven
        • Raven Helmsplitter – Heart of South Downs
      • Meridien Grand Tournament – Royal Court
        • Mandin Leon – OVO
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Still waiting on some receipts from Red Tower, so report will be next month
    • Castle Wars – will need to get some lights/lantern for site, esp important for primitive site. Would like to buy 5 (approved by populace)
    • Also need to buy a printer/scanner, hoping to spend ~$100 by the time the new reeve takes over
    • Popups for barony – Maire has a lead on period canvas popups ($68), canvas only. Will need to get poles for them separately (6ft?) Lowe’s 2x2x6; dogbones; ropes, and containers/totes for each. Faire will be submitting a proposal outlining all prices. Looking to get 4 popups. Mikhail has a store in Stone Mountain and sells iron stakes. questions about details (black/blue vs white, costs,etc) Went to a vote (passed nearly unanimously)
  • Their Excellencies
    • Coronation is coming up this weekend – in case anything unfortunate should happen…
    • Other events Their Excellencies will be attending:
      • War of the Wings coming up (12-16 October)
      • Danelaw (22 October)
      • Silver Hammer (22 October)
      • Gatalop (29 October)
      • Panhandle (4-6 November) – Bill Bosch is bringing his smoker (!!!)
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Recent Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Pros
      • No one complained about portapotties!
      • Feast!!!
      • Having feast hall/tent available all weekend to hang out in was a great gathering spot
      • Having rapier and rattan fight side by side
      • Lyst mistresses were awesome!
      • Rattan/rapier team tournament was a ton of fun!
      • Troll was well-organized
    • Cons
      • There was a fair amount of confusion about where things went on Friday (during setup);
      • Communication issues
      • Could use more space between the pavilions and the lyst field for walk space and safety
      • Kids – can we share the responsibility of supervising kids’ activities so everyone can enjoy the event more? Talk to the KMoC to get info for background checks, so more people can volunteer
      • Hand sanitizer in portapotties and more toilet paper
      • Torches at night? If we do this, then they’ll have to be monitored; option: everyone carries lanterns?
      • Solar powered lights in portapotties!! Like Pennsic? We should have them! Snorri (?) will be loaning a set of lanterns for all the portapotties for Castle Wars
      • Trash bags/cans for portapotties (for sanitary supplies, etc)
      • Need plan for trash pickup and site cleanup – better organization needed!

 

Upcoming Events

  • Demo at Darlington School (Rome GA) (21 October 2016)
    • Matthias was contacted about having us take part in a demo for high schoolers at the Darlington School, in conjunction with the Rome Shakespeare Festival. They’re particularly interested in anything late period
    • Event/demo is on a Friday morning (the afternoon before Danelaw), so anyone who can come out to help would be appreciated. Contact Matthias if interested.
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Still need volunteers:
      • Kids’ activities supervisor/coordinator
      • Set up coordinator – Maire volunteered, since she’ll already be onsite (for troll?)
      • Strike coordinator
      • Revel coordinator – does not mean you have to do it yourself, just coordinate
    • Site will open at 4:00pm on Thursday for attendees, set up starts at noon Thursday
    • Maire will be bringing 6 people to help set up, but can use more volunteers as well
    • Castle walls are currently living in Sir Tim’s garage, and he will help get them to site (per Mathias). We need to talk to Tir Briste to coordinate since we share the walls – can we get a neutral storage space for them? Perhaps a storage locker in Macon, and split costs with Tir Briste? or perhaps the Shriners would let us build a shed onsite? After some discussion, Ximon suggested we table the discussion until the next meeting
    • Feast is finalized, 4 courses – one from each of the cultures represented in the fighting scenarios
    • A+S – still collecting info
    • Spinning the hype!
    • There will be a fabulous ball Friday night!
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Site has been confirmed! MWA&S will be held at the University of West Georgia (where RUM and last year’s MWA&S were held)
    • The Meridian Order of the Blade (MoB) wants to do a fundraiser lunch – looking for lunch ideas. Perhaps the Companions of the Argent Rapier (CAR) will be interested in assisting?
  • Bids for Future Events
    • Kingdom Level events for 2017
      • If interested, it’s not too early to get a bid together Artsy Crown? Spring Coronation?
      • Portia is willing to help/autocrat
    • Event dates for 2019 – need to get them on the calendar now (!!!)
      • Midwinter
      • Red Tower

 

Other SCA Business

  • Justina is working on getting a local boy scout and girl scout troop together for an SCA demo; Bam also has a local troop up his way who would be interested. In addition to all the good things that demos do, this could help us get access to some of the local girl scout camps for events.
  • Youth Marshal needs gear, especially armored fighting gear – there is nothing in the loaner kit right now (Charmone)

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Margavati mentioned Abel needs to borrow a popup for western maker faire. He’s also working on something with flintlocks
  • Indian dance festival – Margavati is performing (Jimmy Carter Blvd)
  • Bam – has officially moved back to South Downs! And there was much rejoicing!

 
All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 November 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

September Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 September 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Was informed by Kingdom Chronicler that I need a warrant – His Excellency suggested we discuss sthis further after the meeting.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We had 12 armored fighters at the most recent Sunday practice
    • Looking at adding a Tuesday evening practice at Blackburn to the practice schedule
    • Seeking an Minister/Mistress of the Lyst for Red Tower; Mistress Margala is potentially available, would like to have at least one more MoL as well
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Also seeking MoL for Red Tower – talk to Brendan if interested
    • Janet came by Tuesday evening wanting to learn armored fighting
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
    • We now have a hardworking deputy Webminister, Lord Pietro! yay!
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • DragonCon rocked! Fan table rocked! We had a great response, several potential new recruits
  • Their Excellencies
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Nothing to report
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 4th Wednesday class will be on how to troll an event, and will be taught by THL Maire. This will be just in time for Red Tower!
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)

    • If you wish to give her money for Red Tower, she’ll be happy to take it
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Recent Events

  • DragonCon (1-5 September 2016)
    • New idea from the demo/fan table – we should come up with a dedicated demo box that belongs to the Barony, so we don’t have to clear the table when we need the displayed items for other purposes:
      • A second banner
      • several samples of high-quality work to show off the range of skills we have (and new people can learn/aspire to)
      • Smaller, active demos in front of the fan table could be a good draw – big enough to draw attention, small enough to not block the table or passers-by
      • Posters mounted on foamcore to place in front of the table or hang behind it
      • Projector/laptop to project videos (example: the Scottish Highland dance group’s presentation)
    • We could use more marshals during the parade to help monitor fighters and crowds

 

Upcoming Events

  • Demo at Darlington School (Rome GA) (21 October 2016)
    • Matthias was contacted about having us take part in a demo at the Darlington School, in conjunction with the Rome Shakespeare Festival. They’re particularly interested in anything late period
    • Event/demo is on a Friday morning, so anyone who can come out to help would be appreciated. Contact Matthias if interested.
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Matthias contacted Siegfried in Bryn Madoc about possibly helping out with site heralding, as we still need someone. Is waiting for a respsonse.
    • Fundraiser lunch will be offered out to non-South Downs groups:
      • The Welcome Home group was suggested (Dalla Dyrfinna)? Matthias will reach out to Dalla
      • House Excelsior is already planning to do a fundraiser, so they probably won’t be interested
    • Feastcrat – the current iteration of the feast has been posted on the Facebook event page
    • Classes @ Red Tower – 16 class slots available in the schedule, 8 have been taken; if you’re interested in teaching a class, please contact Veronica. She will be posting the schedule soon.
    • Travelers’ fare – Maire will be taking care of Travelers’ fare Friday evening, and will cook enough to have leftovers available for Saturday breakfast.
    • Archery targets?
    • Tournaments at Red Tower (all with rapier and armored fighting):
      • Red Tower Tourney
      • Baroness’ prize
      • Third tourney – perhaps joint rapier and armored teams?
    • Pottycrat – Jürgen and a second person have volunteered – thanks!
    • Mistress Margala and Julianne will MoL the armored tourneys
    • Zerafina has volunteered to be the liaison for the Royal entourage
    • Mistress Allesandra has volunteered to be the Kid Wrangler
    • The Shire of Depedale will be loaning us a pavilion, and Master Geoffrey is loaning us benches (for feast?)
    • Should we have a handicapped gentle liaison? If not for Red Tower, then perhaps we should consider adding it to the list of volunteers for future events
    • We will be reusing site tokens from previous events for Red Tower
    • Still need volunteers for to coordinate waterbearing, as well as a merchantcrat
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Planning moves apace
    • Pietro is working on a temporary website
    • Still need someone to organize revel
    • Ideas for site tokens:
      • Possible leftovers from Red Tower?
      • Master Ximon suggested buying tokens in bulk from Chinese online vendors
      • Sir Iazzie suggested along the same line, buying old Russian coins in bulk would be both gentle on the budget and consistent with the event theme
    • We have reservations!
    • Maddie will be feastcrat
    • Veronica announced that she needs people to teach classes! Contact her if interested
    • There is a Facebook group for Artisans’ Row vendors
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Lady Allesandre has submitted a bid – MWA&S to be held at University of West Georgia (where RUM and last year’s MWA&S were held). Bid passed financial committee (yay!)
    • HRH Bart has asked Sir Tim to host a College of War the same weekend as Midwinter A&S, in Alabama (Montgomery?). This will be within the 200-mile radius for events, but it should be OK
    • If we focus our event on arts and sciences, could we do a long workshop option on Sunday, taking a specific class/topic more in-depth?

 

Other SCA Business

  • Based on previous reports from the Reeve, we have approximately $12,000 in the baronial bank account; how would we like to prioritize spending some of it?
    • Serving ware
    • Items for the demo box
    • Dedicated troll supplies set
    • It was suggested that we set up a survey to make recommendations in more detail. What do we need? How much would such an item cost? Survey will go on Facebook, baronial website, and the Yahoo! group.

 

Non-SCA Business

  • For those who attended DragonCon, your badge will get you a 50% discount at the Center for Puppetry Arts (through the end of September)

 
The business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 5 October 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

August Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

3 August 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Mathias pointed out that this (the playroom) seems to work out better than he expected. We will be here both tonight and next Wednesday (10 August)
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Lady Stella thanked everyone who took the survey – if you’d like to take it, it’s not too late – please contact Stella.
    • Will be discussing updates to plans for DragonCon later in the meeting
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • The Red Tower event website will be up shortly
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Court Report – RUM
      • Lady Allessandra Fiorvanti – Order of the Laurel
      • THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain – Meridian Cross
      • Lord Pietro di Conti – Meridian Cross
      • Lady Alisandre Ysabeau de la Chapelle – Meridian Cross
      • THL Mathias Blackett – Order of the Bough
      • Lady Stella di Silvestri – Tower Or
      • Lady Raven Helmsplitter – Tower Or
      • Lady Zeliha bint Sayyid – Tower Or
    • Clarification – you do not have to be a paid member to submit a name or device; non-members just pay an extra $5 per submission
    • All submission fees will increase to $10 per submission as of August 31, 2016; non-members will still pay extra $5 for their name/device submissions
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Great classes in July, featuring Talhoffer’s Judicial combat class, taught by Wistric and Sunneva
    • This month, Sunneva and Margavati will be teaching a class during the 4th Wednesday meeting (24 August) on artistic criticism, especially in the SCA:
      • Ways to receive criticism and what to do with feedback
      • Mock judging session to see how things work
      • If you have questions about judging forms you’ve received in the past, please bring them and they’ll review them.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We’ve had great turnouts over the past month, reaching approximately 10 armored fighters the past couple of practices
    • Loaner gear needs are being reviewed with Their Excellencies.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We still have practices Sunday afternoons (alongside armored fighter practice) and Tuesday evenings at Blackburn Park
    • Getting ready for Foxes! Looks like South Downs Rapier will have 3+ teams fighting for Her Excellency (hooray!)
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)

    • We have a little money ($12,000)
    • A team from the Barony went through the storage unit, inventoried everything and made a list of things we will need to replace/add. A detailed list of items needed and pricing/costs will be ready to present to the populace by the September business meeting.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Tournament of the Foxes is coming up, hosted by our cousins in Vulpine Reach (Chattanooga)! Her Excellency will be sponsoring teams for rapier, armored,and archery! Please let her know if you wish to take part
    • Populace badge – presented 2 options for badge:
      • 1 – On a tower gules, a compass star argent (potential conflict with a barony in Northshield (Manitoba, Canada)
      • 2 – fret azure, muscled sable
      • Tower gules (Option #1) won by a wide margin. His Excellency will now open negotiations with the Northshield group. Duke John feels strongly that we should just go ahead with the tower badge.

 

Upcoming Events

  • DragonCon (1-5 September 2016)
    • Margavati has an idea to do a flash mob during the parade
    • Duke John – still needs volunteers to help pull chariot, at least 4 people
    • Ximon – commented about Wistric’s posts seeking volunteers, but he would like to get people together to plan out the parade beforehand
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Rebecca and Mattias are co-autocratting Red Tower
    • The event will be held at Little Talapoosa Park
    • Staffing needs:
      • The site herald is not able to make Red Tower so we need a site herald now. Please contact Mathias if you’re interested – or can this be outsourced to someone from another local group?
      • Need someone to do site booklets – Veronica volunteered since she is compiling the class schedule,and Maire has volunteered to provide paper (leftover from RUM)
      • Fundraiser lunch – no one has stepped up to do fundraiser lunch so far (benefiting baronial revel alcohol supply at castle wars), but Mathias will reach out to other groups to see if there’s interest. Someone offered the 15 bottles of wine they have in their car *right now* – could be mulled. Remainder of discussion will be offline
      • Feastcrat – making recipes from Bartolomeo Scappi (16th century chef and writer); curious about Bartolomeo Scappi? You can find more info about him at http://www.cooksinfo.com/bartolomeo-scappi
      • Classes @ Red Tower – 6 classes scheduled so far, room for 16. If you’re interested in teaching a class, please contact Veronica
  • Castle Wars
    • Most of staff is taken care of
    • Still need someone organize revel
    • Still need someone to organize kids’ activities
    • Media rollout will happen after pennsic
  • Midwinter A&S
    • Sir Timothy contacted Mathias about the possibility of holding a large melee practice at Midwinter
      • Iazzie and others feel strongly that we ought to protect the A&S focus of Midwinter clear – we should keep fighting activities on Sunday at the regional practice
      • Can our site at Blackburn handle a large melee armored and rapier practice?
    • The site we had in mind – Booker T. Washington Park, near Chattanooga – won’t work because the park is closed through the winter. Currently considering University of West Georgia as a potential site. We need to talk to Heather to see if this is possible

 

Other SCA Business

  • Sunneva is starting an eastside scribal night on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, at Chez Townes. First session will be 16 August. Contact Sunneva for more info
  • Calligraphy & Illumination evenings at Mistress Alessandra on the evenings of Bryn Madoc’s fighter practice in Dacula (would this then be the “even further eastside scribal night”?)
  • Baronial scribal night at Their Excellencies will take place tomorrow night (4 August); please contact them for details/directions

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Duke John had several dozen eggs in his car, free to a good frypan

The business meeting was closed, and the populace went to vote on candidates for the Heart of South Downs and Chivalry awards.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 September 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

July Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

6 July 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Matthias gave a brief orientation to our new meeting space – Friends’ meeting house in Decatur. Most meetings will be held in the lobby/greeting room. 11 meetings during the year, we will meet in the smaller classrooms in the back. Matthias and their excellencies will have keys to the building, as well as Lord Camulacaros (since he lives closest to the site).

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Matthias will send Wistric some materials to add to the website, including updated details about the new meeting location.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Veronica introduced her new deputy, Mistress Sunneva
    • This month’s classes (third and fourth meetings):
      • One class lined up – Wistric and Sunneva will teach German judicial combat as described by Talhoffer
      • Possible dance practice for the other session
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We still have practices Sunday afternoons (alongside armored fighter practice) and Tuesday evenings at Blackburn Park
    • Tourney of the Foxes – we will be fielding melee teams in honor of her excellency
    • This Sunday (10 July 2016), come join us at the rapier and armored regional practice in Byron, GA!
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We are looking for a deputy marshal – please contact Lord Robert if interested
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Lord Bjorn pointed out that we only have 2 business meetings between now and red tower to vote on baronial awards
      • It was decided that the men and women of the barony would meet separately after tonight’s meeting to discuss nominations for the Heart of South Downs and the Chivalry awards, then vote for each award after the August business meeting
    • We have a new deputy herald – THL Matthias (hooray!)
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Lady Stella asked what we in the barony want to do to improve/change (if anything). Along these lines, stay tuned to the South Downs’ FB group for anonymous surveys where you can share your ideas (or just contact Lady Stella directly)
    • Next 5th Wednesday potluck will be in August – would like to know if we can use the kitchen for potluck (or class?!)? Inquiries will be made (yay!)
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain)

    • We have a little money ($12,000); the Seneschal and Reeve want to use some of it to go through the storage unit and make repairs to baronial supplies:
      • Banners? new? blinged out?
      • Poles for banners?
      • feast gear? etc.
    • Discussion about silk painting kits that the barony owns (discovered in the storage unit?): – perhaps we could do a silk banner class?
    • Ximon will need 2 guys (who are not afraid to lift heavy things) to help with inventory, so let him know if you want to help
    • Farouk asked about loaner armored gear? Sir Morgan is currently inventorying it, and the new marshal will want to coordinate. Donations are – as always – welcome
    • Concerns were said about potential financial losses for Red Tower, based on conflicts with a couple other events (Glenn Abhann coronation, bacon bash, etc). Moira and others addressed those concerns and described how the budgets are actually fine and these conflicts are not actually unusual.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Tournament of the Foxes is coming up! Her Excellency will be sponsoring teams for rapier, armored,and archery! Please let her know if you wish to take part
    • Regional youth fighter practice will take place during the Sunday figther practice after RUM
    • Scribal nights continuing, 2nd and 4th Thursdays

 

Upcoming Events

  • RUM (15-17 July 2016)
    • Co-Autocrats: Lady Veronica and THL Maire
    • Is in good shape. Schedule is approved and on FB event page, under the description.
    • Teacher bags, made by Stella! Next week’s meeting will be a project night, stuffing teacher bags. Please come and help!
    • Ximon offered to help set up, since he’s not going to be able to make the event.
    • Moira will need to go to the storage unit for supplies, so she may need help with that.
    • Troll will be outside, to manage the crowds in a timely an efficient manner.
    • WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! we can get on site at 7 for set up, 8 for the populace.
    • Fundraiser lunch will support the Southern Consortium Gulf Wars camp, and will have an extended schedule
    • Raven will have questionnaires for crash space posted by Saturday – if you can offer crash space (or if you know of someone who needs crash space for RUM), please fill out the questionnaire
    • Hotel space is no longer being held, but they will extend the rate as long as rooms are available
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Rebecca and Mattias are co-autocratting Red Tower
    • The event will be held at Little Talapoosa Park
    • His Majesty will be attending Red Tower, as well as His Highness (but he may be attending Glenn Abhann coronation instead)
    • Request for additional handicapped portapotties, to accommodate people wearing garb, people with chronic health issues etc. – the extra room makes everything easier 🙂
    • Event theme is italian
    • Interested in teaching a class? Please check with Lady Veronica
    • Master Geoffrey is planning to host the Cock and Feather Tavern Friday night
    • We may have a woodburning class on an upcoming class night to help make site tokens
    • Need volunteers:
      • Saturday breakfast
      • Fundraiser lunch – sponsored by South Downs, for the Castle Wars discretionary fund (to fund things the SCA won’t pay for – revel, etc.)
      • Do we have MoLs lined up for armord and rapier tournaments?
      • Do we have a field herald?
      • Royal wrangler
      • Royal lunch – Justina will coordinate
      • Children’s activities wrangler – Mistress Allesandra has volunteered
  • DragonCon (1-5 September 2016)
    • Confirmed for parade and fan table – Stella is coordinating
  • Castle Wars
    • Feast bid is down to $8/person
    • Met with portapotty people; looking at adding three additional portapotties to accommodate needs at this site
    • Volunteers needed:
      • Travelers fare
      • Breakfast – Mistress Mara has volunteered)
      • Pottycrat
      • Field steward
      • Site tokens
  • Midwinter A&S
    • Due by the September business meeting
    • Potential site: Booker T Washington park in Chattanooga
    • Still need autocrat/bid – Lady Alisandre has offered to put together a bid; anyone else, September business mtg is deadline for bids
    • Potentially a weekend event?
    • Regional fighter practice on that Sunday – at Blackburn?
    • Stella Nova (novice A+S competition) will take place at Midwinter A& S

 

Other SCA Business

  • Justina is traveling to San Diego for ComicCon, and would like to bring largesse from SD to the san diego SCA group (Caid’s colors are azure, argent, and or). If you would like to contribute, please contact her directly
  • Sari Safari – Jadi is planning a field trip Sunday of RUM to go to local sari shops and have indian food for dinner afterwards
  • Marietta project nights are restarting at Mistress Jadi and THL Andreva’s house
  • His Excellency is interested in making T shirts for the barony – would welcome ideas for t-shirt design as well as for a (new) populace badge
  •  

    Non-SCA Business

    • Duke John had several dozen eggs in his car, free to a good frypan

    The business meeting was closed, and the populace went to discuss nominations for the Heart of South Downs and Chivalry awards.

     

    Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 3 August 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

    –Raven

June Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

1 June 2016, 7:30pm

Decatur Recreation Center

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Lady Justina will be teaching a veils (and hairstyles?) class during the 4th Wednesday meeting (29 June)
    • We are now having two classes each month, the 3rd and 4th weeks. We have an opening for the 3rd week session – please contact Lady Veronica if you are interested.
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain)

    • We have money and we’re looking to spend some of it!
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have a demo coming up (Streets Alive Atlanta, 12 June). Event starts at 3pm, but we’ll be able to set up an hour early (2pm)
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions
      • 
Pietro’s device passed Laurel (hooray!)
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We have practices on Sunday afternoons and Tuesday evenings, as usual
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website
    • Will be working on event websites for Red Tower and RUM (if RUM still needs a website)

Baronial Business

  • Streets Alive Atlanta (12 June 2016)
    • We don’t know yet where we’re going to meet, but Sunday, 12 June is the date. Sawyer is the point person for the demo.
    • Sawyer is trying to secure a secure parking lot for us.
  • RUM (15-17 July 2016)
    • Co-Autocrats: Lady Veronica and THL Maire
    • Everything is going smoothly
    • Still need a crash space coordinator (Lady Raven volunteered)
    • We still need several volunteers to staff Troll. Troll will be set up with several lines – teachers’ line, pre-reg line, and a day-of registration line; we hope that this will make it easier to get the teachers set up before their first class.
    • Sable Sword and Legion of the Bear would like to teach a track of classes. They will need to contact the RUM Chancellor so their offer can get into the schedule.
    • House Excelsior and the Southern Consortium will host a fundraiser lunch to support their efforts to build a (feast?) hall at Gulf Wars
    • We are hoping to host a regional fighter practice at Blackburn on the Sunday following RUM, similarly to what we do with Midwinter
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Rebecca and Mattias are co-autocratting Red Tower
    • The event will be held at Little Talapoosa Park
    • Looking for ideas for tokens – please contact Rebecca if you can help
    • The event theme is Italian
    • We have $75 in the budget for pest control (fire ants)
    • Red Tower theme: Italian
    • Positions needed:
      • Cook for Saturday and/or Sunday breakfast (need both);
      • Armored marshal;
      • Pottycrat (Ximon volunteered, depending on availability);
      • MoL (Maire and Domnhall are both interested);
      • Site Herald (Bam has been volunteered by Maire (this is what happens when you miss a meeting ;-));
      • A&S officer (Veronica volunteered);
      • Minister of Children;
      • Wooden Spoons accommodations; Wooden Spoons would like to host a Red Hat Tea at Red Tower for a birthday celebration.
  • New Baronial Meeting Space
    • We have a potential site! The Friends Meeting House in Decatur (where Midwinter 2015 was held)
      • If we sign a long-term (6-12 months) contract, we can get the site for $20/week, with flexibility to expand into the sanctuary when needed ($50/night)
      • Keys can be available to Their Excellencies, the seneschal, and someone who lives nearby.
      • Pros:
        • Plenty of parking
        • Flexibility on payment schedule
        • Flexibility on space
      • Cons:
        • Default space will be smaller than we have now
      • Motion to vote, seconded, and passed unanimously!
      • First meeting at the new site will be the July business meeting
  • DragonCon (1-5 September 2016)
    • Gerrick is coordinating rapier fighters for the parade
    • Duke John’s chariot repairs/upgrades are coming along nicely
    • Still need 4 people to pull chariot – talk to Ximon to volunteer
    • Ximon wants to regroup in a month or so to practice working with the chariot and the parade
    • Still trying to contact DragonCon staff to set up a fighting demo
    • We are signed up for the fan table; Stella will put together a shift list
    • Stella will arrange for wristbands for the parade participants
  • Castle Wars
    • Today is the last day for bids for Castle Wars! Master Wistric has submitted a bid to autocrat, with Joe Devlin as his co-autocrat
      • Castle Wars will take place at the Al-Sihah Shrine in Macon, which has an indoor feast hall and a kitchen, so we can do a feast!
      • Cost for the Shrine is roughly the same as McIntosh Reserve ($1 per person more expensive than McIntosh, but there’s no parking fee)
      • Last year we had 637 people; we may not expect quite as many this year, but we still had 400 onsite at Castle Wars 2015
      • Volunteers needed!
        • Cooks for Travelers’ Fare Thursday + Friday
        • Cooks for Breakfast (Friday + Sunday)
      • Discussion about feast:
        • Feast ($15) that’s worth it and hyped;
        • Feast will be prereg *only* with hard cutoff date
        • Questions about feast charges – too high? Mariana mentioned that even an elaborate feast only costs $8 per person maybe $10 per person at the most. Requested feast price change to $8
      • Still kicking around ideas for a theme
      • Can set up Thursday morning
    • Motion to vote, seconded, passed unanimously
  • Midwinter A&S
    • Due by the September business meeting
    • Potential site: Booker T Washington park in Chattanooga
    • For those contemplating a bid, if the event is a full weekend, the budget will necessarily be different and should look more similar to a Red Tower budget

Other SCA Business

  • None

Non-SCA Business

  • None

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 July 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

May Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

4 May 2016, 7:30pm

Decatur Recreation Center

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We have practices on Sunday afternoons and Tuesday evenings, as usual
    • In the past month, we held two regional practices, a fundraiser at one of them, and a game practice
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Newcomers’ Collegium (30 April 2016) was fun! There was a great turnout of new/potential members, some from South Downs attended. The world’s shortest court took place there, lots of fun!
    • DragonCon – we have submitted our request for a fan table, now just waiting for approval
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions
      • 
Jürgen der Vielfraß – name and device submitted; the device was returned to be redrawn onto proper form. Sent on to Cypher on 28 April
    • Awards – Last Court of Wulfstan and Thorkatla, at Coronation (2 April)
      • David Twynham – Master of Defense
      • Peryn Rose Whytehorse – writ for the Order of the Laurel
      • Alessandra Fioravanti – writ for the Order of the Laurel
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • We had a great class last week, with Lady Maddalena teaching a hats class; we had several new people come to the class
    • This month’s classes will be:
      • Calligraphy (3rd Wednesday, 18 May)
      • TBD (4th Wednesday, 25 May); will be posted as soon as it’s finalized
      • Tomorrow night (5 May), Their Excellencies will host a Calligraphy and Illumination project night at their house
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain)

    • We have money! $12,301.12
    • We do, however have some bills coming up in the next month
    • New changes:
      • Non-member surcharge is going away, and will be replaced with “member discount rate” and “event registration (includes $5 surcharge).” This sets up the base fee for an event to be charged to everyone, and SCA members get a discount. Previously, the member fee was consided the base fee, and non-members got a surcharge.This does not impact children’s registration fees (no charge except for site required fees/feast/bed)
      • As of 1 June 2016, we are not doing a notarized form for non-family children (GA, TN, AL,KY), following the laws of the specific state. Maire stressed that this is a different form than the event troll form
  • Their Excellencies
    • Midwinter Arts & Sciences – never too soon to be thinking about a bid for Midwinter!
      • We have been asked if we could host Stella Nova at Midwinter
      • We are considering holding the event at Booker T Washington Park near Chattanooga? We’d love to make it a weekend event
    • Iris Faire – “stuff happened, new barons happened. wackety smacking…”

Upcoming Events

  • RUM (15-17 July 2016)
    • Facebook event site is up! Royal University of Meridies 2016- this will be the primary place to check for updates
    • Flyer has been published in Popular Chivalry
    • A hotel group rate ($99,down from $109-139 for 20 rooms. more rooms, perhaps bigger discount) has been negotiated at the Hampton Inn, but there are many other hotels in the area. Cutoff to get block rate discount is 2 weeks before event (deadline is 23 June).
      Campsite also nearby
    • Wistric suggested that we should also have a non-FB website
    • Chatelaine for RUM is Adelaide – if you wish to teach a class, contact her
    • We are also looking for a crash space organizer, please contact Veronica or Maire if interested. Lady Raven volunteered
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Bids are due today
    • The event will be held at Little Talapoosa Park
    • Mathias and ??? are co-autocrats
    • Red Tower is the same weekend as Bacon Bash (glaedenfeld), but Their Excellencies are not concerned – there should be enough distance between the two events to avoid competition
    • We have $75 in the budget for pest control (fire ants)
    • Red Tower theme: Italian
    • Maire will take care of Travelers’ Fare
    • Maire volunteered Bam as site herald (this is what happens when you miss a meeting 😉
    • After the discussion with the populace, Mathias will tweak budget and get back to us on staff needs
  • Castle Wars
    • Need bids! Bids are due by the June business meeting, so we can get the ball rolling on it
    • We do have event space lined up (McIntosh Reserve), but the Al-Sihah shrine as an option? Maire will get numbers to Wistric so he can get the bid together
      • The Shrine has a kitchen available, so we could do a buy-in feast 🙂
      • But remember: we don’t have to do feast for Castle Wars! it’s not a complex event
    • Wistric is considering a bid with Joe Devlin as his deputy
  • New Baronial Meeting Space
    • Brookhaven option no good – $75/hr
    • Decatur is good for the southsiders
    • Clarkston rec center? Wistric and others offered to look into it
    • The event space needs to be:
      • Available Wednesday nights,
      • Comparable to decatur pricing ($25/night),
      • Handicapped accessible,
      • Convenient for parking
  • We are also in need of an Armored marshal; we do have a fair amount of loaner gear – check with His Excellency or Sir Morgan for more details

Other SCA Business

  • GSU Presentation
    • 3:00pm 5 May (tomorrow)
  • Margavati brought a bag of books to give away. very little blood was shed in the ensuing frenzy
  • Atlanta Streets Alive (12 June 2016, 3-9pm)
    • Will be located from 5 Points to 17th St. along Peachtree. Please come on out, it should be HUGE. We are guaranteed a spot because they love us (hopefully more centrally located), but we don’t know where yet.
    • Margavati will set up a FB event page with signups, etc.
    • Ximon mentioned that the barony has popups and banners (?) available for us to use
    • Get word out – there is no other event that weekend
  • DragonCon (1-5 September 2016)
    • Ximon – wants to talk to Duke John about sprucing up the chariot
    • We will need a handler for the parade to coordinate our activities within the parade; We could make it awesome – it’s a great recruiting bit
    • Who’s the demo contact for DragonCon? Stella volunteered to back up Ximon, in case he has to work Saturday of DragonCon
    • Should there be a parade rehearsal beforehand? Could take a meeting or two in the weeks before DragonCon to map all this out and help make the day itself go more smoothly

Other Business

    None

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 1 June 2016.

–Raven

April Baronial Business Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

6 April 2016, 7:30pm

Decatur Recreation Center

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler (who, incidentally, wishes to beg pardon for the delay in publishing these minutes. There were pirates, and shiny things… but she thinks she’s better now 😉 )

Before the meeting officially started, Their Excellencies welcomed Adam, a blacksmith from San Diego who is new to the Barony. Yay!

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Nothing to report
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Nothing to report, but has been excited about new people attending meetings and events
    • Mathias mentioned that the Kingdom will be starting an effort to comp newcomers at events. There are questions about the legalities of doing so, and there was discussion about how to make such an effort work. Stay tuned!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • We had a great month with A & S! Mistress Serafina taught wire wrapping and knitting, and Lady Maddalena will be teaching a hats class this month (everyone is welcome to watch the class; if you want to actually work on a hat, materials will cost $15)
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions
      • 
Stella di Silvestri – name advanced to Laurel, but device was returned to be redrawn
      • Pietro di Conti – name passed
    • Awards – Gulf Wars
      • Sebastiannos Ionnides – Grant of Arms (GoA)
      • Maire Dhocair Inghean Chisrain – Order of the Scarlet Star
    • Awards – Meridian Challenge of Arms
      • Stella di Silvestri – Meridian Cross
    • Awards – Coronation
      • David Twynham – Master of Defense
      • Peryn Rose Whytehorse – writ for the Order of the Laurel
      • Alessandra Fioravanti – writ for the Order of the Laurel
  • Their Excellencies
    • The new/resurrected Barony of Glaedenfeld will hold their investiture at Lily Faire. We are planning to give a lovely gift in their honor (Their Excellencies showed the populace the gift and we all promised not to tell)
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We will be hosting a regional rapier practice (Sunday, 24 April) at Blackburn Park, coordinated by Raven
      • Since the regional practice after Midwinter 2016 was canceled due to weather, perhaps we could hold it at this upcoming regional practice?
      • Master Wistric is looking at holding an armored tourney at the practice as well – should add to the event invite
    • Master Wistric will be holding his monthly A-Game rapier practice on Sunday, 1 May, also at Blackburn Park

Upcoming Events

  • Fools’ War (8-10 April 2016)
    • We do not have a camping space, but anyone who arrives thursday can try to claim land. Check with Her Excellency to try to coordinate.
    • We are taking a hat and cloak to Her Majesty – need to coordinate (with THL Maddalena)
    • Don’t forget bug spray and sunscreen! Yes, *you* need some. Extra ant killer is always helpful.
    • Forecast is sunny but cool. hooray!
  • RUM (16 July 2016)
    • Popular Chivalry will publish the event notice for RUM in the upcoming issue
    • Lady Veronica will have the Facebook event page up soon
    • We need someone to organize crash space options for travelers; either out in Carrollton or here in the ATL
    • Hotel possibilities with group rate – Courtyard Marriott (has a common space available where we could do a post-revel) and pool. The other hotel option is the Hampton Inn. Negotiations are still going on – update to follow.
  • Baronial Meeting Space
    • Looking for a new space than the Decatur Rec Center, one that has better parking and is available on Wednesday evenings
      • We are currently paying $25/wk, and we’d like to keep it in that range
      • We do have our own insurance, through SCA Inc.
      • We are paid up at the Rec Center through June 2016
      • If you have an idea for a space, please e-mail or txt Mathias
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Next month (May business meeting) is the deadline for bids
    • The event will be at Little Tallapoosa (Carrollton)
    • If you are interested in autocratting RedTower 2017, now is the time to search out sites
  • Castle Wars
    • We need bids! Bids are due by the July business meeting
    • We have event space already set (MacIntosh Reserve Park, where it was last year)
    • Remember: we don’t do feast for Castle Wars! it’s not a complex event
  • And on the subject of bids, it’s never too early to start thinking about Midwinter Arts & Sciences!

Other SCA Business

  • Project Night
    • Needs to be canceled for this week, will pick up again in 2 weeks
    • Check in with the Baronial Facebook group for updates
  • DragonCon (1-5 September 2016)
    • Ximon – wants to talk to Duke John about sprucing up the chariot
    • We will need a handler for the parade to coordinate our activities within the parade; We could make it awesome – it’s a great recruiting bit
    • Who’s the demo contact for DragonCon? Stella volunteered to back up Ximon, in case he has to work Saturday of DragonCon
    • Should there be a parade rehearsal beforehand? Could take a meeting or two in the weeks before DragonCon to map all this out and help make the day itself go more smoothly

Other Business

  • Georgia State University is hosting a presentation on textile preservation on 7 April
  • Margavati brought a bag of books to give away. very little blood was shed in the ensuing frenzy
  • Atlanta Streets Alive – coming up, when? Ximon made a motion for Sawyer to coordinate demo

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 May 2016.

–Raven