Midwinter A&S Archives

Instructor signup for Midwinter A&S 2018

From Mistress Sunneva de Cleia:

Instructor Submission Form for Midwinter A&S 2018!

Please contact me via pm or at jenyanydots AT gmail DOT com with any questions.

May Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

3 May 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Master Wistric, our new Seneschal (huzzah!), chaired the meeting.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Talmere’s Lusty Month of May will be hosting this year’s Meridian Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, so come on out! (13 May, Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Family Group Shelter
    • This year’s Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium will be coming to fair Meridies! The shire of Nant-y-Derwyddon has the honor of hosting it, and will be held in Knoxville the weekend of 23-2 June, 2017. For more information, please visit the symposium website
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Still working on getting the newsletter up and running – hoping to publish soon! Please contact Raven if you’re interested in submitting content.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Seneschal Master Wistric reporting on behalf of Lord Robert
    • Reminder to all of new location (Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park, 4770 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338)
    • Still looking for loaner gear donations!/li>
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • New practice location! Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. Everyone is really happy with it (not the least because of the ice cream truck at the park on Sundays)
    • Reminder that Dreamstone (5-7 May) is being held at Indian Springs Park in Flovilla, not the usual spot (Camp Daniel Morgan, where Rob Zombie is filming a movie this weekend)
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We’ve had a few new people show up at meetings and events – they have been excited and have felt welcome – keep it up!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Now that Wistric has become our Seneschal, Lord Pietro has taken over as Baronial Webminister (huzzah!)
    • We still have a website! huzzah!
    • Working on an artisan database; info, handouts, etc. you’d like to contribute, please give to Pietro
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Lady Veronica taught a painting and shading class last month for the Barony
    • Working on a class to teach at an event? Give it a run through by teaching it at the monthly baronial A+S class! A+S mistress is always looking for volunteers to teach classes. This month. THL Marianna has offered to teach a cooking class at her house (Italian! gnocchi!); Mattias has offered to teach a commedia class.
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • Not present at meeting, but Their Excellencies confirmed that we have money! huzzah!
  • Their Excellencies
    • Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium is coming!
      • 23-25 June 2017, in Knoxville, TN; hosted by Nant-y-Derwyddon. For more information, go to their: website
      • Come on out and support Meridies!
    • Dreamstone is coming! This weekend (5-7 May), at Indian Springs Park. Pirates! Adventure! Ports of call (well, maybe)! Come join the People’s Barony of Bryn Madoc at Dreamstone XXXVIII! For further information, visit the event page on Facebook or here
    • Lusty Month of May is coming as well! Hosted by the Shire of Talmere on Saturday, 13 May, at Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Family Group Shelter. For more information, please visit the event site
    • The weekend before the Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium in Knoxville, the Knowne Worlde Dance Symposium will be held in Baltimore, MD (the lands of Fair Atlantia), 15-18 June, 2017. Interested? check out the website for more information.
    • Fundraiser lunches! We have negotiated an agreement with the Shire of Owls Nest – Owls Nest will host the fundraiser lunch at Red Tower, and we will host the fundraiser lunch at Crossroads. If you are interested in helping out with the fundraiser lunch at Crossroads, please contact Their Excellencies.
      • Stella asked what the average attendance at Crossroads is. Sir Iazzie replied that the event is usually fairly small, but with the new, more central event site, turnout may be stronger.

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (6-8 October 2017)
    • Fundraiser lunch – already discussed
    • Event will be held at Booker T. Washington Park in Chattanooga
    • If anyone wants to volunteer on staff, please contact Beteena; Mara will be marshaling armored fighting
    • Beteena wants to go on a walkthrough to make sure there’s adequate land for camping before we pay the extra to allow camping
    • Wistric is going to make arrangements for insurance
  • Castle Wars (16-19 November 2017)
    • Site needs to be changed b/c site is not available. Possible alternatives – McIntosh? Piers reviewed how pricing/profits might change
    • A Dates can’t really change because of new kingdom laws
    • Master Ximon mentioned pricing issues with McIntosh he ran into when he autocratted Castle Wars there – costs need to be clarified, because his numbers were different than what Piers had been told
    • If we go with McIntosh, there will be no feast because there is no kitchen on site
    • Iazzie asked if anyone’s looked into Gwinnett County Fairgrounds? Could be worthwhile – no idea of availability/pricing
    • We should reserve the Shriner site now for future event years so we don’t run into this problem again, especially since we have a contract? agreement? with the site. Wistric will look into it.
    • A+S theme is Disney! Not too early to start planning your A+S project!

Event Bids

  • Fall Crown (10-12 November 2017)
    • THL Mathias is working with Depedale and Bryn Madoc on a joint bid, likely at Little Tallapoosa Park
    • Budget should be ready Monday
  • Artsy Crown 2018 (25-27 May 2018)
    • Iazzie will submit a bid with him as autocrat, and Lady Toki Ima as co-autocrat
      • Marianna will do Saturday night feast
      • Lochlann will do Sunday feast (bbq)
      • Duchess Sabine will do a breakfast
      • Matilda will do another breakfast
      • Adela/Mara offered to distribute danishes
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • Lady Alisandre is working on a bid

Other Events

  • DragonCon
    • Stella signed us up for parade – 40 wristbands
    • Ximon will start working on it, and has started putting the word out
    • Per last month’s meeting – we won’t do a table at DragonCon; too much effort
  • Atlanta Maker Faire (22 October 2017)
    • Is there interest? Sunneva is willing to volunteer
    • Event conflicts with Silver Hammer
    • New site this year – Georgia Freight Depot
    • Website for Atlanta Maker Faire
  • The Modern Maker weekend seminar (2-4, 9-11 June 2017)
    • Matthew Gnagy will be teaching two consecutive weekends on pattern making and a doublet workshop
    • For more information, please visit his http://themodernmaker.net/new-events/ (and drool at the project files!)

Non-SCA Business

  • Sunneva brought a soap making kit and some fabric – free to a good home!
  • Museum Replicas sale is coming up – 20 May! Sale starts at 8am, but there will be a line, so get there early!
    • “under duct tape, nobody knows it’s oak”
  • QOTD: Happy SCA birthday! Anno LII – How do you say that in Latin? LEEEEEEE!

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 June 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

February Baronial Business Meting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

1 February 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Working on newsletter
      • Will post a call for content on website and FB group shortly
      • Content deadline for the first issues will be 28 February, for publishing late March
      • Need name for newsletter: The Tower Times? The Read Tower?
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices are going well! We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have several new fencers who are almost ready to authorize
    • MCA – the second annual Meridian Challenge of Arms – is coming, 25 February 2017, at University of West Georgia. Come on out and support the fencers of South Downs!
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • THL Mathias reported on behalf of Lord Robert; 3-4 fighters come out to practice each week.
    • We will have practice on Sunday of Midwinter A+S as much as possible, working around conflicts with War College and the Super Bowl
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Demo season is coming! Abel is coordinating Streets Alive! on 11 June over by Georgia Tech. Streets Alive is held several times a year, throughout the city – the 11 June event is the most likely to not conflict with other SCA events, so come on out!
    • There will be Gold Key at Midwinter A+S, so even if you don’t have garb yet, you’re set for Midwinter A+S
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! And thanks to Lord Pietro, the South Downs’ FB group posts are now feeding into the website (so cool!)
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Will bring heraldry books to the research library at Midwinter A+S, and will be consulting – so if you’re working on a name or device, this will be an excellent opportunity to get help on your submissions
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Piers Simmons – passed Kingdom! Yay!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Report will be part of the Midwinter A+S update below
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Year-end Domesday report was submitted on time
    • We have money!
  • Their Excellencies
    • Reporting on behalf of Her Excellency Adela, His Excellency Lorenzo announced that the Meridian Knowne Worlde Party will be Thursday night at Gulf Wars, not Saturday! Everyone is encouraged not only to attend, but volunteer – earn volunteer points for the Barony (and yourself) while you sling drinks at the party!
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Seneschal report will be submitted in the next couple of days
    • Master Wistric will step up as Seneschal in April

 

(Kingdom-Level) Event Bids for 2017

  • Bid for Coronation fell through; Glenn Rhe got it
  • Red Tower (7 October 2017)
    • We got Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held) for Red Tower, complete with cabins and kitchen! Had hoped to get Hard Labor, but discovered it was already booked (need to book 13 – not 12 – months in advance)
    • Even though we have a site for Red Tower, we don’t have a bid – so please submit a bid to autocrat by the April business meeting
  • Because we didn’t get the bid for Coronation (was it awarded to Glenn Rhe before we could submit a bid?), we still need to submit a KLE bid – possibly RUM or Artsy Crown?
    • RUM
      • Pros
        • More time to plan event than Artsy Crown
        • Midsummer is not a busy time in the schedule
        • Easier event to run – RUM staff handles much of the event planning
      • Cons
        • Possibly one other bid submitted
    • Artsy Crown
      • Pros
        • Could co-autocrat with another group (Tir Briste? Another shire?)
        • No other bids have been submitted that we know of
      • Cons
        • Memorial Day weekend is coming up soon
        • Being a holiday weekend, potential sites may already be reserved
        • Potential site at Shrine (that we could work with Tir Briste on) is likely unavailable, since it is hay season
  • We need to replenish and expand our list of suitable event sites – some suggested are:
    • Wesleyan College in Macon, where RUM was held 3 years ago
    • Georgia Gwinnett College, where Saltare was held a few years ago
    • UGA, but would need collaboration with MARS (the UGA student SCA group)
    • Kennesaw State University (either campus)
  • There was a recollection of Mistress Peryn having once compiled a list of event sites – is it still available? still current at all?
  • The populace was asked to look for potential event sites over the next two weeks and provide any options to Mathias and his committee, who will then contact the sites and get more information
  • We used to have a deputy seneschal whose job was dealing with sites – can we do that again?
  • Lord Lucien volunteered to autocrat an event, as long as he could work with a more experienced co-autocrat; Mathias offered to help him – REVENGE OF THE HERALDS!
  • Other event bids needed – bids due for April business meeting:
    • Castle Wars
      • Iazzie and Piers are working on a bid for Castle Wars
  • Regarding our site at the Shrine in Macon: Mathias spoke with Sir Tim – the Shrine is very happy to have us, and thinks it may be a good idea for us to put up a permanent storage structure for Castle Wars and other event-specific supplies (Lord Brendan suggested a giant silo of Andro). This storage structure will be shared with Tir Briste. We would build it ourselves, with the understanding that we will be committed to holding Fools War and Castle Wars there for the next couple of years (at an agreed-upon rate). We should get a contract to guarantee prices for the period. Duke John recommended that we first figure out what size shed/storage building we will need to store all the things.
  • Maire will have a mtg with Tir Briste and will make sure everyone is on the same page. Added bonus – this could also allow us to move to a smaller SD storage unit.

 

Upcoming Events

  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (4-5 February 2017)
    • Everything seems to be under control
    • Lost three classes this week, but it looks like replacement classes may already be lined up
    • Please pre-reg! Zeliha is managing registrations
    • Master Lorenzo is coordinating site cleanup – please get in touch with him if you can help
    • Site load-in starts at 7:00am Saturday morning – there are rumors of coffee and doughnuts being provided for the early birds
    • Lord Pietro is coordinating troll, and Mathias will be handling money (Maire has to work that day, and Zeliha needs to step away from her role as deputy for the time being). Volunteers for troll are welcome!
    • Bring your cash and your appetite! The Meridian Order of the Blade will sponsor a fundraiser lunch – several varieties of soups and stews will be offered, along with a drink and cookies for $5. Proceeds from the lunch will help establish a bank account for the MoB which will fund tournament prizes, etc.
    • There will not be a regional practice on Sunday, since War College will be the same weekend – but we will still have our regular practice that Sunday at Blackburn Park

 

Other SCA Business

  • Mistress Mara asked if we could have baronial business cards to hand out at demos, etc. Vistaprint is having a sale on business cards, so it would be rather inexpensive. Lady Raven volunteered to design them.
  • Rhiannon mentioned that Hedgehog Handworks is closing, as the owner is retiring. Some great deals on the website for embroidery supplies are available – check it out!

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Maire has started a new career as a tax preparer and is looking for clients – come see her if you need help with your taxes
  • Duke John mentioned the Atlanta Soldier Show will be held the weekend of 17 February at the Marriott Century Center (I-85 and Clairmont Rd), and will feature model military figures from all time periods, very cool
  • Netherworld will be open for one weekend only for Valentine’s Day event – reservations only

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 1 March 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Midwinter A&S 2017

Midwinter A&S was a great success!  Thanks to everyone who came, and thanks to everyone who helped!

16508981_10155710686072388_2601423347960216815_n 16487886_1716726738639765_2945650788656776879_o 16473411_10103044467435258_2425508803789102278_n
16472806_10153620453987325_7609117991539195723_n 16426105_10154792885676335_1069671304041911412_n 16603149_10155724504132786_759095879475769462_n
16603135_10155724495752786_7429121699932017051_n 16602909_10155724495272786_2670761198472272768_n 16508788_10155724494172786_2592067123778721159_n
16508734_10155724495362786_510865792622238319_n 16508700_10155724504657786_7116732921358080821_n 16508254_10155724495057786_4969767256827262062_n
16473882_10155724495827786_5633542019915420551_n 16473099_10155724495622786_6838483720380094764_n 16472876_10155724504347786_134653817765644963_n
16472873_10155724495502786_6589864992048061422_n 16426234_10155724494827786_5573040768701716362_n 16426136_10155724504057786_5812095879079498570_n
16426108_10155724494457786_1000902045670044839_n 16425834_10155724503867786_110993911756483827_n 16425759_10155724503962786_2273614260018578087_n
16406873_10155724504402786_2246279304764370191_n 16406480_10155724504197786_1184027548759757707_n 16299259_10155724504272786_3207493033846865917_n

December Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 December 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

THL Bjorn called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (THL Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Iastreb Desislavich – passed Kingdom
      • Stella di Silvestri – returned from Kingdom
    • Court Reports
      • Castle Wars – Royal Court
        • Pietro di Conti – AoA
      • Castle Wars – Baronial Court
        • Wistric Oftun – Tower Or
        • Veronica de Lucca – Tower Or
        • Alisandre Ysabeau de la Chapelle – Baronial Arts Champion
    • Bjorn announced that he will be stepping down as South Downs herald, and Lucien d’Artois will step up as the new Baronial Herald. Bjorn got a big round of applause in gratitude for all his work.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Mistress Allesandra taught a very well-received class last week on A+S submissions. There is a lot of interest in offering it again before Midwinter A+S, with more time before the event so everyone would have time to make adjustments to their A+S entries.
    • Allesandra is interested in teaching a class in January (topic TBD)
    • THL Mattias would like to teach a class on performing arts (discussion with Veronica will ensue)
    • Will there be an open A+S competition at MW, or just Stella Nova? As of now, there isn’t other A+S planned, but perhaps there should be to encourage non-beginners?
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have a new winter practice location for Tuesday evenings, at Gerrick’s house in Peachtree Corners, with a backup at Brendan’s office warehouse.
    • For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
    • Wistric was named QRC at Magna Faire; everyone laughed that he will have to stand up in court again
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Final numbers from Castle Wars – $5739.60 profit (more to follow in post-mortem)
    • Numbers are also available from Gulf Wars (need to get info from Maire)
    • We really need to look at where we should spend money for the Barony – conversation and plans are ongoing. Ximon suggested that we devote some time at next month’s meeting for proposals, etc.
    • We need to look at reducing/not increasing charges for events next year; we were quite fortunate in how we were charged for site rentals, etc. will discuss this further at January’s meeting.
    • Shower trailers for events at the Castle Wars site were suggested
    • Iastreb bought one of the pavilions we discussed previously and brought it to Crown. Was quite pleased with it, we could easily use 5 more.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal nights that have been held on first Thursdays will now be on the first Monday of the month at Their Excellencies’ home.
    • The populace is encourage to write recommendation letters for those who they find inspiring – Midwinter is coming! Matthias reminded everyone that if you are not 100% sure that a person has a particular award check the Meridian Order of Precedence – you would be surprised at the awards people deserve but DONT HAVE.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have had some new people show up at 5th Wednesday social and/or went to magna faire, yay!
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We had two injuries at Castle Wars
    • War Practice to be held Saturday, 10 December, in the shire of Depedale; likely SD practice Sunday as usual.

 

Recent Events

  • Castle Wars (17-20 November 2016) Post Mortem
    • Note: There is a more detailed analysis of the event compiled by CW staff. Please check with Wistric if you’d like to see it (Google Docs)
    • Pros
      • Live weapons field adjacent to rapier/armored was a big hit!
      • We had approximately an extra 100 people likely from Richard RaeFen’s memorial; would like to get the attendance numbers without the sad circumstances that increase attendance this year.
      • Having feast hall/tent available all weekend to hang out in was a great gathering spot
      • Excellent merchant turnout
      • Wistric has supply suggestions/needs for future
      • Feast was amazing, we should do it again! First Castle Wars feast in many years
      • Revel was excellent, but Justina stressed about the timing between court/memorial/feast/revel
  • Cons
    • Bulk of problems occurred during load-in
    • FIRE ANTS! Thorough fire ant treatment would cost $300 (suggested schedule: month before, 2 weeks before, and day before)
    • We need to address needing help to set up/staff/strike
      • Discussion about where to get more volunteers – within barony? encourage other groups? we should look at models of other large kingdom/interkingdom events
      • We go to other events to have a good time, we should make sure things are taken care of so others can have a good time. more service at our own events
      • Autocrats need to be more aggressive in recruiting volunteers
      • We need to develop culture where everyone is expected to help out in some way
      • We should work on how to get information out about what is needed
      • How to build rapport with other groups to coordinate service?
    • Traveler’s fare – there was confusion about whether it was being offered Thursday night (it wasn’t, but communication can be clearer about it)? Friday night kitchen tech failed. REMINDER – these were all experimental, hadn’t done at previous CW events. Overall, it was much appreciated.
    • With the drought and the high winds during the weekend, there was confusion about the burn ban.
    • Information point needs to be out on the field, not (just) at Troll

 

Upcoming Events

  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (3-5 February 2017)
    • Need teachers for classes! Matthias will teach heraldry 101; Mariana has offered to teach a course as well
    • War college on same weekend – should contact HRM to suggest it perhaps there’s a better weekend to assign it into kingdom law than the same weekend as MW
  • Kingdom-Level Events for 2017
    • Bids for Red Tower and Castle Wars are due in April to encourage newer autocrats to step up – it’s never too early to put a bid together for these events!
    • Iazzie has offered to co-autocrat to help teach/supervise a newer autocrat
    • Red Tower (7 October 2017) – potential site is Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held).
      • We would need to put reservation in with 50% deposit. It’s a relatively expensive site with weird pricing structure, but we have the resources to give it a shot. Payoff could be HUGE
      • Bacon Bash is not a conflict in 2017
      • Duke John expressed concern that we have to go out of state for an event. Where else can we get a large cabin site for such events? We are always looking for closer-in sites, but there aren’t many that could handle an event this size.

 

Other SCA Business

  • Secret Santa! gift exchange will be at January business meeting

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Mattias and Mistress Mara just bought a house – housewarming party on 12/23!

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 January 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

Happy holidays!

–Raven

November Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 November 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lord Brendan de Hay (mka Ben Hay), South Downs Celebrity Stunt Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report, thanks to Brendan for covering the meeting
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • All is well in rapier world. We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting). For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 5th Wednesday class (due to the Thanksgiving holiday) will be on how to prepare your A+S project for competition, taught by Mistress Allesandra. The A+S class meeting is also the 5th Wednesday potluck
    • Interested in taking part in Stella Nova at Midwinter A+S? Registration for Stella Nova closes in 15 days (17 November)!
      • For registration, you only need to include your name, your (Laurel) sponsor’s name, and project category
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have some new members! yay!
    • We will be taking part in ConjurationCon this coming weekend (5 November 2016). We will need dancers and ???
    • Castle Wars
      • Class schedule and Castle Wars patrol
      • Need two popups
      • Next meeting – we will paint arms of the populace for Castle Wars
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • We have money!
    • Yearly report sent in tonight (2 days late)
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! (yay!) We also have a website for Castle Wars! (yay encore!)
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Castle Wars – schedule sent to Wistric and has been posted on website
    • Please contact Robert on Facebook if you are interested in helping marshal
    • There will be Youth Combat at Castle Wars (yay!)
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions
      • Stella di Silvestri – submitted device
      • Iazzie – submitted new badge
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal night at-home will be tomorrow night (3 November)
      • Silk banners this weekend!
      • ??? banners
    • Castle Wars – please volunteer! We need volunteers throughout the event, especially cleanup!
    • If you are interested in retaining for Their Excellencies, please contact them
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Upcoming Events

  • ConjurationCon (5 November 2016)
    • Bryn Madoc and South Downs are co-coordinating the demo – if you are interested in taking part, please contact ???
    • If you are interested in volunteering, please get in touch with His Excellency Lorenzo
  • Crown List (11-13 November 2016)
    • Iazzie and Camulocaros will both be fighting in Crown List!
    • Baronial Pavilion will be near the field – all are welcome to stop by
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Takes place the week after Crown List
    • Still need volunteers:
      • Setup crew, starting at noon on Thursday 17 November
      • To help with stamping and threading site tokens – at meeting the Wednesday before Castle Wars
      • Troll
      • Kitchen cleanup
      • Site cleanup
      • Potty crew
      • Staff for Information Point
    • Revel at Castle Wars
      • Hat was passed for Revel donations. Justina has also coordinating a GoFundMe (not affiliated with South Downs, Meridies, or Society)
      • Need a tap for a commercial keg
      • Need beverage contributions
    • Zeliha is managing registration and announced she is happy to take reservations at the meeting
      • 160 total registered
      • 60 for feast (out of 100 spaces)
    • There will not be an overnight troll shift; troll will be closed between 2:00am and 7:00am
    • Registration will be extended – see website for details
    • Volunteer raffle – need donations!
    • 17 merchants have registered for Castle Wars
    • Anyone interested in camping with South Downs, please contact Lady Alisandre
    • Memorial events
      • Jochi Naran (Friday night)
      • Sir Richard Raefen
      • Viking ceremony to honor 6+ people who have passed this year, will be held Saturday evening after Court
  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
    • His Excellency South Downs will be attending
    • Feast will be potluck
    • Is anyone interested in creating a South Downs Twelfth Night event? It’s been done in the past, very low-key
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Will host Stella Nova
      • 12 entries already received, six from South Downs!
      • Reminder: Stella Nova registration only requires Name/Laurel Sponsor/Category; no details are required at this point
  • Bids for Future Events
    • Kingdom Level events for 2017
      • Spring Coronation
        • Site: Booker T Washington Park, in Chattanooga
        • First weekend in April (31 March – 2 April 2017)
        • Portia is willing to help/autocrat

 

Other SCA Business

  • Informal Baronial At-Home at Castle Wars
    • Pavilion will be open for knitting, knitting instruction, and socializing
    • Begins at 10:00am
    • Closes before Court
    • There will be alcohol
    • We will also be working on relic bags (for those who don’t knit) – materials will be provided

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva announced upcoming choir concerts, 2 and 4 December; please contact her for further information
  • SERFO (Southeast Renaissance Fencing Open) (11-13 November)
    • Organized by Master David, will be held at the Stone Mountain Community Center
    • Officially a HEMA event, but several SCA fencers take part
  • Duke John mentioned the Shakespeare First Folio exhibit at Emory
  • Vyviant at Georgia Tech needs volunteers to be interviewed for a research project on re-enacting
  • Fathom Events will be screening a rebroadcast of The National Theatre’s Hamlet, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, on 15 November

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 December 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Midwinter A&S update

From Alisandre de la Chapelle, the Event Steward:

Midwinter A&S (February 4, 2017)

Site opens at 8 am, classes begin at 9am. Site closes at 6 pm/after court.

Event Fee: $5 Non-SCA members add $5 surcharge to site fee. No charge for children under 17. Please make checks payable to SCA, Inc. Barony of South Downs.

Event Steward
Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle mka Alison Petrisek
3456 Kiveton Drive,
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
Phone: 678-995-2913
Email: alpetrisek AT gmail DOT com

Reservationist
Lady Zeliha bint Sayyid
mka Leslie Colley
1712 Piper Cir SE,
Atlanta, GA 30316
Phone: 678-622-6229
Email: zeliha.sayyid AT gmail DOT com

Stella Nova
Mistress Serafina Almanni
mka Kimberly Powell
facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups
/175143642890637/

Directions:
From Atlanta, travel I-20W to exit 124 (Villa Rica/UWG). Turn left (West) onto Highway 61. Take Hwy 61 for 12 miles then turn left onto the 166 Bypass. At the 6th traffic light, turn right onto Maple Street/Hwy 166. The University will be on the left.

Additional directions at: westga.edu/index_directions.php.