Red Tower Archives

February Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 February 2018, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Lucien announced that the heralds will have a consultation table set up at 40 Year, so come by with your questions.
    • Submissions
      • Five baronial badges were registered at Laurel
      • Mathias Blackett – household name and badge
      • Juliane de Vivone – badge resubmitted
      • Ruqayah al-Zarqa – device change
    • Duke John was asked about the history of the Kestrel – he said it was inspired by an award offered by the Shire of Sol Haven, which recognizes those who contribute to the local group but aren’t actually a member of the group
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • We’ve had a great turnout at practices, so much so that the new fighters have had to swap out loaner gear between them (yay!)
      • Several of the new fighters are ready to be authorized.
      • One fighter (Brady) is technically a member of Owl’s Nest, but he’s been training with Mairghread; still needs a gorget. Lord Mark has offered to build one for him this weekend
    • Youth
      • She has two fighters who want to authorize by Pennsic
      • One of the youth fighters asked if she (Mairgrhead) could run youth combat at Newcomers’ Collegium, but she hasn’t yet received her paperwork from Kingdom
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • Last practice got rained out
    • Our next series of practice have been posted to our FB group
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them, Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, temporarily moved to Blackburn Park due to the lighting situation at Liane Levetan. We’re averaging 2-12 people.
    • We are still waiting for updates from Liane Levetan Park about the lighting situation and work order
    • Thanks to all who’ve helped cover marshaling practices while Ben is working!
    • For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • After two years in the office, Lady Stella announced that she is stepping down as Chatelaine and that Lady Justina will be stepping up as our new Chatelaine. Thank you for all your hard work, Lady Stella!
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We had a great turnout at Midwinter A+S; 14 classes were offered.
    • Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you! you know it’s one of your new year’s resolutions) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A+S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through July.
    • This month’s class on building a breakdown banner pole will be taught by Master Ximon. He points out that this is not a historically accurate banner pole, but it does pass the “10-ft rule”
    • Sunneva is looking for a deputy, and asked if you contacted her previously about this, to please reach out to her again.
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • Andreva reported that we have (some)money! Approximately $10,000
    • We have a new account at Regions Bank, and are currently waiting on the new checks to arrive and to finish closing out the old Bank of America account. Because of this,
      she needs to have all receipts in by March 1
    • She reported that we had 220 people at Midwinter A+S, including 13 children and 28 paid non-members (including the cast of the local production of Spamalot)
    • Andreva is also looking for a deputy – if you’re interested, please contact her directly
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updated:
      • Class schedule
      • Live weapons practice schedule
      • Web pages for new baronial awards
      • Posted photos from 40-Year, cub scout demo, and Midwinter A+S
      • Class notes
      • Is adding members’ devices to their webpages
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Still need articles for the Winter 2018 issue of The Read Tower; goal of the newsletter is to inform, particularly newcomers, about what we do, why we enjoy what we do in the SCA, and why a newcomer would want to take part. Examples:
      • Officers’ column: each Baronial officer has a column where they can describe what they do, what’s cool about what you do as that officer, and anything (events, practices, etc) you want to publicize. Roughly 500 words (a page or so?)
      • Guild reps: again, you have a space where you can let the populace know what you do, why you find it cool, and what your Guild has going on. And again, roughly 500 words would be great
      • Articles I’d like to have written, 500-750 words (ish); if you’d like to write an article, please let me know and we’ll chat:
        • Reveling at Castle Wars: one of the things that makes Castle Wars special, the camping and reveling; article and photos  STILL NEED
        • Presentation (?) Herald at Crown: what it’s like to process with a combatant at Crown and announce them at the beginning of the tournament? STILL NEED
        • Rapier activity beyond the world of the SCA (SERFO/HEMA) (thanks, Brendan de Hay!)
        • A+S Competitions at Midwinter A+S (Thanks, Sunneva!)
        • Class handouts, recipes, etc. – please include images (I can scan if necessary), and a writeup introducing the material (ongoing)
        • Artwork and photos – again, I can scan artwork if necessary (thanks, Andreva, for the 40 Year photos!)
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Anachrocon – if you have Viking garb, wear it! If you don’t, wear what you like.
      There was a problem with setting up classes, so we’ll just have fighting otuside and an inside table for recruiting. Wistric will update the Anachrocon schedule on the FB group page
  • Their Excellencies
    • Gulf Wars
      • Who’s going?
      • If you’re planning on going to Gulf Wars and plan to be on site by Tuesday morning of War Week, please let Her Excellency know – she would love to have members of the Barony take part in the procession and carry the Baronial banner, looking fab and badass :-)

Event Report

  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • Lady Alisandre sent in an event report as she was not able to attend the meeting
      • We need to find an alternate site instead of UWG – the way the University handles reservations makes it difficult to confirm the site until just a couple of weeks before the event. Suggestions from the populace:
        • Red Top Mountain (where Owls Nest will host Newcomers’ Collegium)
        • Sir Iazzie suggested Gwinnett County Fairgroungs – we could use one hall as a sleeping hall,
          and one divided up for classes. Lots of parking.
        • Cobb County Fairgrounds
    • Everyone agreed that Midwinter A+S was a great and successful event!
    • Lord Pietro was tasked with passing along cheers to Alisandre

Upcoming Events

  • Artsy Crown (26-29 May 2018)
    • Our bid has been submitted; we haven’t heard anything back yet but Iazzie feels confident that we will get the bid
    • Sir Lochlann will do the fighters’ feast Sunday night
    • Need someone to take care of Sunday breakfast – Lady Illy volunteered
    • Need someone to take care of Monday morning GTFO breakfast
    • Help with Royal lunches (Lady Justina will be the royal liaison, but will need help)
    • Still need to determine who will do the fundraiser lunch
    • Iazzie has reached out to the autocrat for Fools’ War (also held at the Shrine) – they will be treating the site for fire ants, so it should be in pretty good shape before our event
    • Lady Emmelina offered to coordinate a fundraiser art sale at Artsy Crown, with proceeds going to the Castle Wars revel (yay!); need to figure out logistics/space between classes,
      lunch, etc., but everyone loved the idea
  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018)
    • Will be held a Hard Labor Creek in Rutledge, GA
    • We have an autocrat! Lord Mark de Wytteney!
    • We have a theme – Bacchanalia! Please send Mark any ideas you may have for the event
    • Some ideas were developed at dinner after 40 Year
    • Iazzie mentioned that he knows a couple of people who are interested in doing feast

SCA Business

  • Lady Justina got great feedback for Period Heroes at Midwinter (yay!) Contributions are always welcome! Period Heroes will make an appearance at Ca’ d’ Oro at Gulf Wars
  • Wistric mentioned the state of the storage unit; seems there’s a lot of materials for unfinished (unstarted?) projects
    • There’s a fair amount of leftover fleece from the Red Tower sheep – Illy suggested that it could be used for cows for Bryn Madoc (Danelaw?)
    • An entire bin of moving blankets which will be turned into storage bags for the thrones
    • Baronial regalia? A linen unfinished cloak or cassock with baronial arms – it may well be a cover or shade for the thrones for court (fits into a frame). The frame has been lost over the years, so it could become a project for something else. Wistric will bring the fabric to the next meeting.
    • A full bolt of canvas that was originally going to be a painted wall; perhaps it could become two smaller walls (easier to handle
    • Several unfinished banners that Baroness Rhiannon had worked on once upon a time; Ximon would like several volunteers to help with it
    • Several bolts of cotton duck (white, green, black) – perhaps can be used for loaner gear? Mark volunteered to help with this
    • Additional silk for banners – we definitely need more banners as a Barony! Also a frame and paint; could become a group project night, teaching how to make a painted silk banner
    • Lady Juliane would love to encourage South Downs to be more spiffy in 2018
    • Ximon suggested that we break down the banner project into easier manageable sessions: develop design, assess silk pieces, etc.
  • Mairghread mentioned that Thor’s Mountain baronial candidates are now down to 4 (one had had his membership lapse); the remaining had a Q+A event that was recorded and posted. The new Baron and/or Baroness will step up at May Faire. Her Excellency Thor’s Mountain has been ill, and the Vicar has stepped up recently to handle administrative issues.
  • Juliane mentioned that His Excellency is interested in restoring the Red Raven as a polling order; is there a gap in the OP that needs to be added/corrected?
  • Ximon thanked everyone who contributed to the MoB fundraiser lunch at Midwinter A+S

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva’s chorale has a concert coming up, featuring folk songs in a lot of different languages. Concert is in May 18 and 20
  • Mairghread will be on active duty orders for the next couple of months, and it may impact her attendance at Gulf Wars. Sunday practice availability will also be spotty for the next couple of months, due to needed house repair
  • dilly dilly!

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 March 2018, at our new site, Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

January 2018 Baronial Mini-Business Minutes

South Downs Baronial Mini-Business Meeting

17 January 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Art Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.

Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)

  • Do we know how many have pre-registered yet?
  • We only have 15 classes submitted so far
  • We still need volunteers:
    • One person to supervise vigil and Order meetings, to be a runner for meeting attendees as needed
      • Two people have volunteered, two teens who helped at the last event with cleanup
    • Someone to put up road signage (Sir Iazzie volunteered)
    • Lady Alisandre will need some things from the Baronial storage unit – she will compile a list of things for Master Wistric to get from the storage unit, and this will be a good test for the new request sheet
  • The schedule being developed for the Order meetings, vigil, Meet & Greet, etc., is really complex
  • Andreva may be able to serve as voice herald to announce class changes and meetings, but if she cant, she will find someone who can (perhaps Lord Knut?)
  • The annual Sari Safari will take place on Sunday after Midwinter
  • Do we want to do a Regional Fighter practice as done in past years?
    • Should we hold our Baronial Championship tourneys at this practice?
    • How elaborate do we want the practice to be? Cookout, etc.? A reminder that that Sunday is also Super Bowl Sunday, so it’s possible we might not have as strong a turnout as we would otherwise
    • The populace decided that we should just have a regular practice, but extend the invitation through the Midwinter event
  • We won’t be able to get onsite to set up on Friday evening, so we will need as many people as possible onsite Saturday morning at 7:00am to help get everything set up
  • The fundraising lunch will either be held in a classroom or at the end of the 2nd floor hallway (as last year)
  • Site tokens have been ordered but have not yet arrived. Plan B (in the event we don’t get the tokens on time) will be to use leftover tokens from Red Tower, which are already strung (yay!)

Baronial Storage Unit

  • Wistric announced that a lot of progress has been made on organizing the Baronial storage unit – he’s posted several pics on the FB group to document the work done and those who’ve come out to help. We will need approximately 12 storage tubs to continue organizing All The Things – having identical tubs will make it easier and more consistent to manage everything. The populace approved $150 to purchase more tubs.

Cub Scout Demo

  • Lisa reminded the populace about the Cub Scout Demo for her son’s pack next Thursday, and encouraged everyone to come out and take part – it’s a lot of fun, and they loved having us come out the last time. The demo starts at 7:00pm. For more info, check out the event that will be set up on the baronial FB group.

Anachrocon (February 16-18, 2018)

  • We’ve been asked to take part in the in the con by holding a demo (fighting, maybe live weapons?)- maybe also teach classes? The deadline to get into the con booklet has passed, but we can still take part. Master Ximon and THL Andreva both said they’d go.

Other Business

  • Castle Wars 2017
    • Does anyone know who ended up with the waivers from Castle Wars? The deputy needs to have them. Whoever has them, please get them to Wistric.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 February 2018, at our new site, Little Tree Art Studios.

–Raven

Troll Sign-up Red Tower 2017

Greetings from Lord Lucien d’Artois, Head Troll for Red Tower. It’s not too late to sign up to help out with troll! Please feel free to sign up for a one-hour shift. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

You can find the sign-up sheet here!

August Baronial Business Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 August 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Annaliese Wolf – name/device at Laurel (3nd month – post-commentary)
      • Stella di Silvestri – device at Laurel (2nd month of commentary)
      • Juliane de Vivonne – badge at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Porcia Secunda – name at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Lucien d’Artois – badge x2 at Kingdom
      • Konrad Windhorn – name at Kingdom
    • Court Report
      • RUM:
        • Mara Palmer – Broken Bow
        • Stella di Silvestri – Guiding Hand
      • Arabian Nights:
        • Mathias Blackett – Kingdom Bard
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • 6-8 armored fighters at Sunday practices
    • Joint fighters practice with Owls Nest continues to go well
    • We have one new youth fighter (yay!)
    • Mairghread has requested $200 for additional loaner gear
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • July practice hosted ~22 archers
    • Royal round was held at practice
    • Update on acquiring loaner and baronial gear: we’ve only had to buy 3 bows
    • We have two new marshals in training
    • If interested in shooting archery at foxes, please contact Mistress Mara; if you are taking part in other tournaments during the event, please be aware there’s a lot of waiting around between archery rounds
    • For more information about archery in Meridies, please check out their website
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
    • Everyone is encouraged to sign up for DragonCon and take part in the parade!
    • Stella made up some baronial business cards for distribution at demos, etc., which should arrive Monday
    • We’ve had several new people come to events and practices recently
    • Stella is still looking for a deputy chatelaine, in charge of demos – if interested, please contact her
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • We have some money! yay!
    • We are spending a lot of money so we have to be careful, especially with the event season and our several events coming up this fall
    • Everything is paid up till the end of the year. With the site location changing for Castle Wars, we need to be extra careful with funds until we know more about how the change will impact the budget
    • Mara mentioned that she’s still running way below budget with archery needs.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • The July A+S class night was on making viking aprons, and taught by Lady Juliana
    • This month’s class, on how to event steward, will be presented by Mistress Jadi. She plans to set up the class as a roundtable featuring participants who have extensive experience in event stewarding from both inside and outside the barony, who can provide a variety of viewpoints and experiences on event stewarding. Ximon volunteered. This is would normally be held on the 4th Wednesday, but there are schedule conflicts, so please stay tuned.
    • This month will be our 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck – everyone is welcome!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Updated the Knight Marshal page
    • We need to add a Live Weapons Marshal page, now that we have a live weapons program
    • New profiles for Aidan MacKay, Konrad, Mairghread, and Piers have been added
    • His Excellency added the new baronial awards page to the website
    • Red Tower event page was updated
    • Castle Wars event page updated – the Castle Wars page includes a downloadable pre-registration form; it was agreed that the Red Tower page should also have a pre-reg form
    • Fighter practice page/schedule has been updated and expanded
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a barony (huzzah!)
    • Do we want to sponsor something at Meridian 40 Year? We should discuss and let Countess Thorkatla know.
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Their Excellencies
    • Their Excellencies have received several recommendations for the new baronial awards! The populace is encouraged to write more!
    • They also encourage the populace to write more recommendations for deserving gentles for all sorts of awards for upcoming events! Check the OP if you aren’t sure if someone has a particular award
    • Their Majesties are already putting the list together for Castle Wars
    • Foxes!
      • Her Excellency would love to sponsor several teams for the tournaments at Foxes – rapier, armored, and archery (team names: Adela’s Special Snowflakes? unless there’s only one team in a particular tournament, then they’ll become The Snowflakes?).
      • Her Excellency will be working on new tokens this weekend – everyone is invited to help (silk banner painting practice!)
      • There should be several rapier and armored teams – yay!

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • Lady Emmelina created a lovely flyer for the event – look for it in the upcoming kingdom newsletter
    • A pre-registration form and a Google doc for a signup list are in the works
    • Site visit planned for tomorrow (3 August)
    • Volunteers needed:
      • Herald(s)
      • Head troll
      • Pottycrat
      • Royal liaison
      • 2 list mistresses
        • (updates)Rapier covered per wistric
        • Serafina will do armored list
      • Hall steward (Mathias volunteers)
      • Children’s activities?
      • Travelers’ fare
      • Cleanup Royal site Sunday
    • Owl’s Nest is taking care fundraiser lunch; we will do fundraiser lunch @ Crossroads
    • Feast – THL Mariana is working on recipes, menu will be pinned down this weekend
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • Flyer should be ready this weekend for submission to PopChiv
    • Most staff taking care of, just needs landcrat and heralds
    • Site map has been sent to Their Majesties so we can determine where they want their camp to be
    • Need donations for volunteer raffle
    • Lucien needs volunteers for troll
    • Maire said we need heaters and lights for troll
  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton
    • Portapotties reserved
    • Event flyer about to go out
    • Everything is going smoothly
    • We (South Downs) will be the ones handling insurance
      • Maire mentioned that insurance for a group is taken care of for the first event of the year that group does

SCA Business

  • Mathias said there had been mention of 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck including some SCA dancing or bardic performances. He would be interested in getting some people together to do some commedia?
  • Ximon needs to talk with the reeve to get the check to cover the loaner rapier armor we bought from Tina (and the youth combat helm)
  • Sir Iazzie: The castle walls need repair/replacement (“rapier uses the walls, armored abuses the walls”).
    • Wants to talk to Sebastionnos about repairing/building a new wall and see how much it would cost.
    • We also need a gate of our own; with a second gate and repaired walls, we could do 2 castles for fighting scenarios.
    • Repairs very important, but we really do need *additional* wall pieces.
    • Hopefully we can store the walls and gates at the Shrine – currently they’re at His Highness’.
    • Can we get together with Tir Briste to help out with walls?
    • Fundraising idea – donate X$ to wall, maybe get your device on a wall? :-)
  • His Excellency is going to test out new rope and stake wall for meridies royal encampment at pennsic
  • Lucien reminded everyone about the 2nd mini business meeting, possibly starting in August to help keep track of upcoming events (thru Midwinter A+S), to take place 3rd Wednesday of each month
  • After tonight’s meeting, we will meet for Baronial Chivarly / Heart of South Downs awards

Non-SCA Business

  • Lady Juliana suggests parking ideas for DragonCon. Parking Panda allows you to buy reserved parking spaces for much cheaper than public parking.
  • Other parking ideas;
    • Parking at the Cathedral for $20/day
    • Buy a monthly pass at the International Center parking garage for $120; pass is good for a full month, so if you need to park downtown at other times during September, it can be a good deal.

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 September 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

May Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

3 May 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Master Wistric, our new Seneschal (huzzah!), chaired the meeting.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Talmere’s Lusty Month of May will be hosting this year’s Meridian Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, so come on out! (13 May, Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Family Group Shelter
    • This year’s Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium will be coming to fair Meridies! The shire of Nant-y-Derwyddon has the honor of hosting it, and will be held in Knoxville the weekend of 23-2 June, 2017. For more information, please visit the symposium website
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Still working on getting the newsletter up and running – hoping to publish soon! Please contact Raven if you’re interested in submitting content.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Seneschal Master Wistric reporting on behalf of Lord Robert
    • Reminder to all of new location (Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park, 4770 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338)
    • Still looking for loaner gear donations!/li>
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • New practice location! Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. Everyone is really happy with it (not the least because of the ice cream truck at the park on Sundays)
    • Reminder that Dreamstone (5-7 May) is being held at Indian Springs Park in Flovilla, not the usual spot (Camp Daniel Morgan, where Rob Zombie is filming a movie this weekend)
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We’ve had a few new people show up at meetings and events – they have been excited and have felt welcome – keep it up!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Now that Wistric has become our Seneschal, Lord Pietro has taken over as Baronial Webminister (huzzah!)
    • We still have a website! huzzah!
    • Working on an artisan database; info, handouts, etc. you’d like to contribute, please give to Pietro
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Lady Veronica taught a painting and shading class last month for the Barony
    • Working on a class to teach at an event? Give it a run through by teaching it at the monthly baronial A+S class! A+S mistress is always looking for volunteers to teach classes. This month. THL Marianna has offered to teach a cooking class at her house (Italian! gnocchi!); Mattias has offered to teach a commedia class.
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • Not present at meeting, but Their Excellencies confirmed that we have money! huzzah!
  • Their Excellencies
    • Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium is coming!
      • 23-25 June 2017, in Knoxville, TN; hosted by Nant-y-Derwyddon. For more information, go to their: website
      • Come on out and support Meridies!
    • Dreamstone is coming! This weekend (5-7 May), at Indian Springs Park. Pirates! Adventure! Ports of call (well, maybe)! Come join the People’s Barony of Bryn Madoc at Dreamstone XXXVIII! For further information, visit the event page on Facebook or here
    • Lusty Month of May is coming as well! Hosted by the Shire of Talmere on Saturday, 13 May, at Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Family Group Shelter. For more information, please visit the event site
    • The weekend before the Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium in Knoxville, the Knowne Worlde Dance Symposium will be held in Baltimore, MD (the lands of Fair Atlantia), 15-18 June, 2017. Interested? check out the website for more information.
    • Fundraiser lunches! We have negotiated an agreement with the Shire of Owls Nest – Owls Nest will host the fundraiser lunch at Red Tower, and we will host the fundraiser lunch at Crossroads. If you are interested in helping out with the fundraiser lunch at Crossroads, please contact Their Excellencies.
      • Stella asked what the average attendance at Crossroads is. Sir Iazzie replied that the event is usually fairly small, but with the new, more central event site, turnout may be stronger.

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (6-8 October 2017)
    • Fundraiser lunch – already discussed
    • Event will be held at Booker T. Washington Park in Chattanooga
    • If anyone wants to volunteer on staff, please contact Beteena; Mara will be marshaling armored fighting
    • Beteena wants to go on a walkthrough to make sure there’s adequate land for camping before we pay the extra to allow camping
    • Wistric is going to make arrangements for insurance
  • Castle Wars (16-19 November 2017)
    • Site needs to be changed b/c site is not available. Possible alternatives – McIntosh? Piers reviewed how pricing/profits might change
    • A Dates can’t really change because of new kingdom laws
    • Master Ximon mentioned pricing issues with McIntosh he ran into when he autocratted Castle Wars there – costs need to be clarified, because his numbers were different than what Piers had been told
    • If we go with McIntosh, there will be no feast because there is no kitchen on site
    • Iazzie asked if anyone’s looked into Gwinnett County Fairgrounds? Could be worthwhile – no idea of availability/pricing
    • We should reserve the Shriner site now for future event years so we don’t run into this problem again, especially since we have a contract? agreement? with the site. Wistric will look into it.
    • A+S theme is Disney! Not too early to start planning your A+S project!

Event Bids

  • Fall Crown (10-12 November 2017)
    • THL Mathias is working with Depedale and Bryn Madoc on a joint bid, likely at Little Tallapoosa Park
    • Budget should be ready Monday
  • Artsy Crown 2018 (25-27 May 2018)
    • Iazzie will submit a bid with him as autocrat, and Lady Toki Ima as co-autocrat
      • Marianna will do Saturday night feast
      • Lochlann will do Sunday feast (bbq)
      • Duchess Sabine will do a breakfast
      • Matilda will do another breakfast
      • Adela/Mara offered to distribute danishes
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • Lady Alisandre is working on a bid

Other Events

  • DragonCon
    • Stella signed us up for parade – 40 wristbands
    • Ximon will start working on it, and has started putting the word out
    • Per last month’s meeting – we won’t do a table at DragonCon; too much effort
  • Atlanta Maker Faire (22 October 2017)
    • Is there interest? Sunneva is willing to volunteer
    • Event conflicts with Silver Hammer
    • New site this year – Georgia Freight Depot
    • Website for Atlanta Maker Faire
  • The Modern Maker weekend seminar (2-4, 9-11 June 2017)
    • Matthew Gnagy will be teaching two consecutive weekends on pattern making and a doublet workshop
    • For more information, please visit his http://themodernmaker.net/new-events/ (and drool at the project files!)

Non-SCA Business

  • Sunneva brought a soap making kit and some fabric – free to a good home!
  • Museum Replicas sale is coming up – 20 May! Sale starts at 8am, but there will be a line, so get there early!
    • “under duct tape, nobody knows it’s oak”
  • QOTD: Happy SCA birthday! Anno LII – How do you say that in Latin? LEEEEEEE!

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 June 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Event pages created

From Pietro di Conti, the Webminister:

I’ve created initial placeholders for a Red Tower 2017 event page and a Castle Wars 2017 event page. If you’re involved in planning those events and have something you’d like me to add to the event page, please let me know!

Also, Lord Piers Simmons is taking volunteers to help with Castle Wars 2017 on this spreadsheet.

See you at the events!

Scenes from Red Tower 2016

Photos by Bjorn Gulharr; many more in his Facebook album.

161001redtower5

161001redtower4

161001redtower9

161001redtower8

161001redtower7

161001redtower6

161001redtower12

161001redtower10

161001redtower3

161001redtower2

161001redtower1

161001redtower13

Gaming at Red Tower

From Sir Geoffrey, Owner of the Cock and Feather Gaming Tavern:

On this coming Friday Eve, at Red Tower, we shall once again have the Cock and Feather Gaming tavern awaiting your arrival. I invite you to arrive early, and set your camp. Fill thy mug and come forth to spend a wonderful evening of gaming with friends in a lively tavern!!! Once again our focus shall be more on the games of chance that allow multiple players to join into one game, so that it shall be easier for all to meet and make new friends… and then win from them all of their monies!!! (Don’t worry…. I will give you more monies!!!)

We will have Knuckle bones, Teetotum, and several dice games out on the tables throughout the evening, however, the normal games such as 9 man morris, tafle, or Adre will also be available for play, so if you have a favorite, don’t worry…. it will be there!

I will see you all on Friday eve!!!

Red Tower Rapier schedule

From Brendan de Hay, South Downs rapier marshal:

PLANNED RAPIER ACTIVITIES AT RED TOWER XLIV

0900 Inspections/sign-in begin

1000 Early Bird tourney

If you are signed in and inspected, or at least standing in line to be inspected AT 10AM, you can play. Format dependent on number of available fighters.

<from this point forward, all times listed are approximate>

1100 Red Tower Rapier Champion Tourney

Hosted by the current Red Tower Rapier Champion, Ld. Piers Simmons. Straight Double-Elimination, possibly modifications to be announced at host’s discretion. Winner gets custody of the distinctive Red Tower cloak for a year, and the title Red Tower Rapier Champion.

1300 Red Tower Baron’s Prize Rapier Tournament

Trash talk has already begun..

In the 14th and 15th centuries, mercenaries known as condottieri plied their trade throughout the Italian peninsula. Their tactics were focused as much on economics as on actual warfare. In this tournament, success lies not only with the one who has the most skill with a blade, but also the one who best controls their purse strings.

The tournament will be set up as round robin pools, and each fighter will begin with five coins. For any given bout, a fighter may choose to pay their opponent a certain number of coins based on their opponent’s reputation for skill: 3 for a Master of Defence, 2 for a Captain of the Order of the Blade, 1 for anyone else (bribes may be refused or renegotiated). This payment will score the bout as a win for the one who buys it, and only one party may accept a bribe. The bout must still be fought “for show”, and the one who takes the bribe may also score a win.

There will be one prize for the fighter who scores the most wins, and another prize for the fighter who ends up with the most coins. Both prizes may not be won by the same fighter.

1430 Armored/Rapier Team tournament.

Find an armored fighter to team up with. Each team consists of one armored fighter and one rapier fighter. (Masters of Defense, please do not team up with Knights. Please?)

Each round is 2-out-of-3, one bout on each field. If one team wins both bouts, their team advances.

If a third round is required to decide the match, all fighters take their respective fields, and “Lay on” is called on both fields simultaneously. The first person to defeat their opponent takes the round, and their team advances.
If a set of fighters double-kills in the third bout, they do not refight unless the other field is inconclusive.
If both field double kill or kills from opposite teams are considered simultaneous then the third round will be refought.

If there is time, perhaps a pick-up melee tourney.

Whenever time permits and a marshal is available to observe, field will be open for pickups.

Red Tower Class Schedule

Red Tower Class Schedule

Time Subject Instructor Location About the Class
10:00 AM Italian Hem Stitch Lady Alisandre dela Chapelle A&S Pavillion 1
11:00 AM Dogs in the Middle Ages and Renaissance Mistress Peryn Rose Whytehorse Peryn’s Fieldside Pavillion Overview of dogs in our period, their body types, uses, and equipment. We’ll also talk about the Meridian Hound Guild and dogs in the SCA.
11:00 AM Intermediate Embroidery – Button Hole Stitch Baroness Leda Sand A&S Pavillion 1 You need this stitch for the Needle Lace Class
11:00 AM How to Get the Most Out of Your Volunteers Baroness Celestine de Chatham A&S Pavillion 2
12:00 PM LUNCH Fundraiser Lunch will be served
1:00 PM How to Be the Best Volunteer You Can Be Baroness Celestine de Chatham A&S Pavillion 2
1:00 PM Beginning Needle Lace Baroness Leda Sand A&S Pavillion 1
2:00 PM Intermediate Sewing – Construction Stitches Baroness Leda Sand A&S Pavillion 1 You need these stitched for Mistress Alessandra’s dress class
3:00 PM Making Late Period Clothing on a Budget Mistress Alessandra Fioranvanti A&S Pavillion 1 Learn about making late period clothing without breaking the bank. Sourcing fabric and accessories, inexpensive trim options.
4:00 PM Artistic Critique and the SCA Mistress Margavati Bai A&S Pavillion 2 We will focus on feedback and A&S entries.
 Page 1 of 2  1  2 »