South Downs Baronial Business Meeting
8 January 2020, 7:30pm
Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.
THL Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Mark de Wytteney, sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”
- Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- THL Juliane de Vivonne – new badge
- Sara Wandrownyczka – new name and device
- Mistress Mara Palmer – badge registered on October 2019 LOAR
- Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
- We had an injury report that needed to be submitted.
- Lord Jürgen is away on military training, so Lady Mairghread is looking for backup marshals for practices.
- Practices are going well – Sunday practice continues at the incipient Viking Alchemist Meadery site (3080 Jonquil Dr., Smyrna, GA 30080) starting 13 October 2019. Everyone is very happy with the site! As of this past Tuesday (6 January 2020), we went back to holding joint practices on Tuesday evenings with the rapier fighters at Brook Run Park, 4770 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338, near the Veterans’ Memorial.
- Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)
- Practices at the Meadery are awesome. Huge thanks to those making this happen.
- Levetan Park may be getting too dark for Tuesday evening practices. So far, so good, but suggestions for alternate locations are welcome.
- Thanks, as always, to our collection of rapier marshals who make it possible for practice to happen without me. Efforts to get a couple more people warranted are under way.
- Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)
- Master Mathias and Conor have been covering practices for Mara in her absence.
- We have equipment! Yay!
- Upcoming practices are, as always, posted on the South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice group, so come check us out!
- Chatelaine (THL Justina di Silvestri)
- She seconded the comments of others so far that the Sunday practices at the Meadery are AWESOME! It’s also a great place to bring newcomers.
- Collegium Vulcani, hosted by the shire of Des Forges in December, was also awesome! This year’s event featured classes particularly useful to newcomers to the SCA.
- If you have anything you’d like to contribute to Gold Key, please get to Justina by the end of January so she can finalize inventory before Lord Nikon steps up as Chatelaine in February.
- She reminded the populace that we all are chatelaines, in practice.
- Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)
- We have a possibility of several library demos in the next couple of months, and they’d like to pay us for it. The payments would be set up as donations to the Barony, so we would not violate any rules regarding non-profits or the Society.
- Potential dates are 8 February or 7 March, so attendance would need to work around Knight’s Gambit and Gulf Wars (respectively). They’re also interested in having us come out in April (4 or 11 April) to demo fighting and crafting.
- Second Wednesday project nights continue at Freecyle. They are moving to a new location in March or April, and it would be great if we could come out to help with their move since they’ve been really good to us.
- Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)
- We have A&S in the Barony, and it is good! Yay!
- It’s time for the quarterly report – post what you’ve done the past three months on the baronial A+S spreadsheet so we can document it.
- Baron Mark will be teaching this month’s class on period dice games. He is putting together swag bags of dice and antique coins in a bag for purchase by those taking the class – he will determine the final costs for this and will let everyone know in advance of the class.
- We are still looking for teachers for Midwinter Arts & Sciences, to be held in Decatur on 1 February. If you’re interested in teaching, please sign up on the baronial page. Alisandre was asked if time slots could be requested – this is not really possible, due to all the moving pieces involved in the scheduling puzzle.
- Speaking of A&S classes in the new year… are you interested in teaching a Baronial Arts & Sciences class in 2020? Submit your class idea on this form, or contact Alisandre directly.
- Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
- We have money! yay!
- End of year report is done, pending Seneschal’s signature.
- Balance: $12,113.13
- Outstanding checks: $11,XXX
- We are up $1,401.19 from last year, which is really good given that our expenses have increased ($100 for first two meetings, $25 for each meeting after that per month)
- This is Andreva’s last business meeting as Reeve – she’ll hand off the position to Mistress Alessandra in February.
- Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- We have stuff! Yay!
- Webminister (Captain Pietro di Conti)
- We have a website! yay!
- Many, many Castle Wars web page updates
- Submitted quarterly report to the Kingdom Webminister
- Lady Zhelana did several updates to add content to Midwinter A&S event page.
- Removed temperature restrictions from Fighter Practice page; added “warranted marshal required”.
- Disk cleanup: reduced number of backups retained from 4 to 3 for sake of disk space.
- Posted the dates of Jan-May live weapons practices.
- Keeper of the Baronial Memes (Social Media Minister) (THL Emelina le Nourreys)
- We have social media! Yay!
- Working on memes and signage for Midwinter A&S.
- Yay! We have almost 200 followers on Instagram!
- Minister of Children (Lady Melusine of South Downs, THL Mark de Wytteney reporting)
- Lady Melusine (Myndee) is stepping down, and Lady Una will serve as our Minister of Children – her background check has been done, and everything is good to go!
- Everyone thanked Myndee for all the work she’s done to really establish children’s activities both in the barony and in the Kingdom.
- Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
- Looking for a deputy to whom she can eventually hand over the office’s responsibilities.
- Their Excellencies, Master Wistric and Mistress Sunneva
- Thank you all for coming out for the baronial holiday party! We had a great turnout, everyone had a great time, and it went on until the wee hours of the morning.
- We hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.
- Once again, we are looking for retainers for Midwinter A&S – it’s fun and easy! If interested, please contact Juliane.
- Their Excellencies then called over Andreva, who opened the Court of Their Excellencies South Downs.
- THL Wenyeva atte grene was called into court and awarded The Phoenix Spark for having “become (an) integral member of the Barony after moving from another Kingdom or returning to the Society from a long hiatus.” And there was much rejoicing from the populace.
- With Their business being done, the court of Their Excellencies was closed.
- Seneschal (THL Mark de Wytteney)
- This is also Mark’s last business meeting as seneschal, and Juliane will be taking over. Mark was thanked for all the work he’s done as seneschal.
- If you haven’t already done so, please sign in!
- Midwinter Arts & Sciences (1 February 2020), Lady Raven Helmsplitter and Master Ximon Martillo de Córdoba reporting
- Event to be held at Holy Trinity Parish Episcopal Church in downtown Decatur – new site, 3 blocks to Decatur MARTA station, 5 blocks to Avondale MARTA station, so it’s intown and easily accessible.
- Everything is moving apace – the insurance application has been submitted and we should have the documents back in plenty of time for the event.
- The Meridian Order of the Blade will offer a fundraiser lunch of chili and stews.
- Event staffing has been completed.
- Andreva asked about what we have in inventory for power cords and adapters for PayPal, and if we needed to purchase more – financial committee approved, will be added to troll box.
- We will go to the site in a week or two (depending on parish coordinator’s schedule) to do a final walkthrough and drop off deposit and insurance paperwork.
- Jour d’Amour (24-26 January 2020)
- THL Justina announced that the Courtesans of Meridies will be hosting a symposium and salon at the event.
- Mistress Margavati brought a bunch of books to the meeting, free to a good home (or homes).
- Mistress Mara announced that she will be hosting a baby shower for Gwyneth (Morgan) at Midwinter A&S – if interested in attending, please stay tuned fro details (or contact Mara directly).
Business meeting is closed.
Next business meeting will be held Wednesday, 8 February 2020, at the Doraville Civic Center.