South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

5 July 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. THL Mathias is tonight’s stunt seneschal.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • Approximately 10 people showed up at the first practice
    • Lots of gear is arriving at Mara’s house, ready to sort/prep. She reports that we are still way under budget, so she’ll continue to order things :-)
    • Next archery practice will be co-hosted with Owls Nest on 23 July (the same weekend as Arabian Nights)
    • Ximon is working on prizes for first archery tourney – breakdown banner pole, banner, etc.
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Annaliese Wolf – name/device at Laurel (2nd month of commentary)
      • Stella di Silvestri – device at Laurel (1st month of commentary)
      • Juliane de Vivonne – badge at Kingdom (in commentary)
      • Porcia Secunda – name at Kingdom (in commentary)
      • Lucien d’Artois – badge x2 submitted to kingdom
      • Conrad Windhorn – name submitted to kingdom
    • Court Report
      • None
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • The June A+S class was on Commedia del Arte, and taught by THL Mathias
    • This month’s class night will be on viking aprons, and taught by Beteena
    • The August class will be Mistress Jadi’s autocratting roundtable, featuring experienced event stewards / autocrats from both within and without our Barony. She expects the speakers will provide a range of viewpoints and experiences about stewarding events. Master Ximon volunteered to take part. However, it still needs to be scheduled, as she will be out of town for the usual class night in August. We may switch August class night with another meeting night (perhaps project night) to accommodate. Stay tuned!
  • Youth Armored Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
    • We have a new youth fighter (huzzah!)
    • The youth practice scheduled for this Sunday will move to Bryn Madoc, to join the regional event honoring (and surprising!) Duke Orlando as he marks his 40th anniversary of his knighthood.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • (Lady Mairghread reporting) Mairgread will step up as marshal and Robert steps down to deputy, due to work issues. Asked for approval – stunt seneschal says “uh, yeah, dude.”
    • Tuesday heavy practice – considering combining South Downs armored practice with Owls Nest to boost numbers for each side? Good to support our neighbors :-)
    • With Lord Robert stepping down, the question arose if Mairghread will MiC Red Tower? She’ll consult with Robert and other interested parties and get things sorted out
    • Mairghread will need to get the loaner gear from Robert, especially for Sunday’s practice. Still need loaner gear – His Excellency points out that we do have funds for gear :-)
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Thanked everyone who’s been able to step up and cover marshaling responsibilities at practices when he’s been unable to attend
    • We are also looking at combining rapier practices with our brethren in Owls Nest – scheduling around traffic on Tuesday evenings is rather difficult, but we are looking at options
    • Brendan announced that Lord Piers will step up as deputy rapier marshal. The nomination went to the populace for approval; Lucien objected (then everyone started laughing). Deputy rapier marshal approved.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Encourage everyone to attend the fighter practice this Sunday in Bryn Madoc
    • Also encourage everyone to attend Tourney of the Foxes, hosted by the Shire of Vulpine Reach (25-27 August, at Harrison Bay State Park in Chattanooga). Event info here: Tourney of the Foxes.
      • Her Excellency is interested in sponsoring teams on the armored, rapier, and live weapons/archery fields, and is already for her representatives on the field. She will provide tokens, so come out and fight for the honor of your Barony!
    • Baronial Awards
      • At the last business meeting, discussions began about new awards.
      • Lucien said that at KWHSS, discussion of order names suggests that our names may not pass, since they do not follow standard structure
        • Flannait had an article about medieval order names that she presented at a class
        • Two things usually are included: every order name needs to have a designator and a substantive element that matches the way orders were named in period
        • Order of *heraldic charge” or *heraldic color” or order of two heraldic charges, etc. or abstract quality or virtue
        • We need to back to the drawing board on names, but the badges should be fine – have already been conflict checked (to date)
        • Duke John wanted to know why we’re getting pushback on the order names – no one cared for ages about what names were made up, so why suddenly now?
        • It was suggested that we should register the badges for now; names can be done at a later time (if at all), since these are non-armigerous so it’s not as important to register the names
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Lady Stella is in Korea, so did not get to submit a report? His Excellency stepped in to improv:
      • Korea is awesome!
      • She is still looking for 2 deputies
      • Lorenzo helped recruit new people at Mistress Allesandra’s 4th of july shindig. Recruit new people! please :-)
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Placeholder page now exists for Fall Crown List (we are co-hosting with Depedale and Bryn Madoc)
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • Not present at meeting, but Their Excellencies confirmed that we still have money! huzzah!

Upcoming Events

  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton
    • Kynric is co-autocrat
    • Illy Brownlee is feastcrat
    • Lady Alisandre is merchantcrat
  • Fighters’ Collegium (1-3 September 2017)
    • Yes, it’s happening! There had been questions about whether the new Kingdom Law regarding scheduling Fighters’ Collegium with RUM starts in 2017 or 2018, but it remains an independent event for 2017.
    • Being held at Dalwhinnie Fields near Selma, AL (site of this year’s Black Axe).
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • Nothing to report
    • Everything going smoothly, visited the site and met with the portapotty people and the park staff.
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • Flyer in progress, should be ready in a week or two
    • Still need volunteers – please contact Lord Piers or Sir Iazzie
    • Equestrian people have found their own water buffalo, so we now have an extra $500 in the budget
    • Is there a site token plan?

Event Bids

  • Fall Crown (10-12 November 2017)
    • Bid has been submitted, waiting to hear from Crown.
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences 2018 (2-4 February 2018)
    • Lady Alisandre is working on a bid

Other SCA Business

  • DragonCon
    • We are all set for the parade (40 wrist bands) if you know anyone coming from other kingdoms, let us know so we can make arrangements
    • Master Ximon has news about the chariot. He posted on fb group the other day about chariot situation, offering to help compensate anyone who wants to pull the chariot (6 pack of your choice). If you’re planning on attending DragonCon, marching in the Parade, are strong, and thirsty, talk to Ximon or Stella
    • John wants to get in touch with Crafty Celt – he had mentioned that he was interested in riding in the chariot, but we’d then need 4 at a time to pull it
    • Last year, we had a situation with the chariot b/c people were using it to store things during the parade and then left those things behind. Please don’t bring anything to the parade you can’t/wont carry during the parade.
    • Rhi mentioned that the Netherworld people have their own plan at the end of the parade to make it easier to deal with all the stuff. It was suggested that there is already a plan – just need to minimize extra stuff and meet with chariot to help put stuff away. As long as we do that, we should be fine.
  • South Downs Supper Club
    • We want to bring it back! What is the South Downs Supper Club? A volunteer hosts the dinner, a group of people cook period recipes (usually with a common theme), other people donate $, everyone eats :-)
    • For more information, check out the South Downs Supper club group on Facebook
  • Tina has a piece of female rapier armor that is now looking for a good home. She’s offering to sell it to the Barony for $50 to use it as loaner gear. Vote request to approve funds. Stunt seneschal says “yeah, sure dude.” Motion passes.
  • Ximon asked if anyone would be interested in his teaching a class on how to build a breakdown banner pole? Everyone said YAAAASSSS
  • Lucien needs a check for $50 to register badges. Vote seconded and approved
  • Mathias said there had been mention of including bardic performances or SCA dancing during our Fifth Wednesday potluck. He is interested in getting some people together to do some commedia at a future Fifth Wednesday. If interested, please contact him.
  • Lucien reminded everyone about the 2nd mini business meeting, possibly to start in August to help keep track of upcoming events (thru Midwinter A+S in February)

Non-SCA Business

  • THL Andreva brought cake in honor of her birthday (chocolate and stout cake – it was delicious!)

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 August 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Filed under: Meeting MinutesUncategorized

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!