6 May 2020, 7:30pm
Virtual meeting on Zoom
Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Zombie Chronicler.
As our Herald, THL Lucien, was unable to attend tonight’s meeting, Lady Mairghread stepped in and called the meeting to order. THL Juliane, our Seneschal sez “Welcome!” and discussed the new Zoom meeting format – in particular, she would like to have everyone make sure they keep themselves on mute until you have something to say. She also walked everyone through the Zoom meeting features, including the “raise hand” feature which marks that you wish to speak.
Our Social Media officer, THL Emelina, read out a disclaimer for everyone to be aware of and agree to, that our business meetings are being recorded and that by participating in this meeting, we have given our consent to have footage containing our faces and/or comments used by the Barony and the Kingdom as necessary.
- Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- Nothing to report
- Armored Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
- We are still in a holding pattern regarding practices
- The armored marshals report is due on 15 May – it will be a slim report (as there have been few events or practices) but she will get it sent in and forward a copy to the Seneschal late next week.
- Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan deHay)
- Due to the current cancellation of practices and events, we are also in a holding pattern until things get going again
- In the meantime, stay tuned – we are working on getting some online rapier activity going soon – discussions, classes, etc. Will post about these events on the Atlanta SCA fighting Facebook group.
- Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
- Nothing to report
- Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Fioravanti)
- We have money, but we’re not spending any of it as there’s nothing to spend it on right now (except for the storage unit).
- Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- We have stuff!
- Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)
- We were going to have a couple of newcomers join the meeting tonight, but they ended up not being able to. We hope they can join us for future meetings.
- Kingdom chatelaine has requested another Gold Key (loaner garb for new people to borrow at events) inventory; Nikon is planning to pick up some additional garb and will take care of inventory once that’s done.
- Minister of Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)
- Alisandre has posted some virtual A&S opportunities in the Baronial Facebook group; and asked the populace to please let her know if they learn of any additional online opportunities (classes, events, etc) so she can share it with the Barony
- She spoke with Their Excellencies and now would like to ask the populace if there would be any interest in a Porch Fairy exchange (like a Secret Santa in quarantine); everyone thought it would be a great idea!
- Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
- We have words!
- We have a new Chronicler in the works! Lady Aelia Bassina of Veii will step up sometime soon (probably July)
- Keeper of the Baronial Memes (Minister of Social Media) (THL Emelina le Nourreys)
- We have been posting on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- We now have more than 250 follows on Instagram
- Emelina is encouraging the populace to share the the cool projects they’re working on at home – please take pictures of your project work and send them to her so they can share on our Instagram page
- There is a Baronial glow-up video in the works – there will be more info once we have the Baronial YouTube channel set up
- Glow up videos are videos which start with one person doing some every day activity, then they have a scarf (or something similar) thrown at them from off-screen. Person 1 picks up the scarf, approaches the camera, holds the scarf up to the camera to blot out the scene, then when the scarf is pulled away, Person 1 is dressed up and doing something cool and finally tosses the scarf out of frame. This is then repeated over again with a new scene, and Person 2 catching the scarf, etc.
- In our video, we would have each person/group start out in modern clothes and relaxing, then be revealed in their SCA garb, and a setting or doing an SCA activity for a couple of moments.
- All submitted videos will be compiled into a single video which we will post on our YouTube channel.
- We have been posting on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)
- Nothing to report
- Their Excellencies South Downs (Master Wistric Oftun and Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
- Carver misses everyone!
- Sunneva wanted to discuss how appreciative they are of everyone in the Barony and everything we are doing to support each other. In addition to doing a porch fairy project as Alisandre had described, if you’d like to get a missive from her, she will gladly send you mail – just PM her your mailing address. If you know of someone who’s not online, please consider sending them mail or connecting with them somehow.
- Finally – if you know anyone who needs help, from communicating to food to whatever please contact Their Excellencies.
- Seneschal (THL Juliane de Vivonne)
- She mentioned recent news from the Crown – as Coronation had been canceled, TRM Boru and Fianna have been given permission to extend their reign until the end of May.
- Red Tower has a bid from Mariana and Farouq; finance committee has approved the bid, and we’ll vote on it in May
- Zoom meetings – how does everyone feel about meeting via Zoom? It is admittedly a strange format for the structure of our organization as there is a lot we do that is not really Zoom-compatible. What do we want to do with the off-nights?
- Margavati is willing to host a dance night via Zoom, but she’ll need to figure out how the logistics first
- Alessandra is willing to send people goldwork supplies and host a gold work class for project night (or A+S class night?)
- How many classes are Zoom-compatible?
- Aelia would like to know if a kids’ Zoom event could be set up? Her daughter misses everyone. Una thinks this would be a great idea! Justina wanted to know if this would be an adults’ welcome to support, etc.
- Alessandra mentioned that after a full day of working with the kids online, she would like to see something done that is low-parental activity – maybe something like a kids’ “happy hour”?
- It doesn’t need to be on Wednesdays – Allesandra mentioned that Gwinnett County doesn’t have classes on Fridays, so Thursday would allow them to stay up a little later.
- Charlie suggested that he’s been working on a project that is currently fighter-oriented but could have other applications – a choose your own duel/adventure game he’s been developing
- Justina mentioned that the online revel she hosted last week was successful, and that we could do similar events for the Barony. She found that conversational games gave everyone an opportunity to participate.
- Baronial Zoom games night!
- Improv theatre night?
- Wistric suggested that there are probably classes that have been taught in the past that would be transferable to a Zoom format
- Margavati is organizing a baronial Glow up video and would love to have as many people as possible participating. Deadline is Sunday for your video. Instructions are posted on the Baronial Facebook site. Justina mentioned that the Courtesans’ Guild is doing a “Pass the Veil” challenge along the same lines.
- Red Tower
- Mistress Mariana and Lord Faruq would be co-autocrats
- Site will be Hard Labor Creek State Park (our traditional Red Tower site)
- Theme will be Elizabethan, Sinners and Saints
- We can use martial budget to pay for things like tourney prizes, etc.
- Quest during the day to find the seven graces and sins
- Do we have a contingency if we are still under lockdown?
- It would likely then be canceled, but Mariana mentioned that the schools are planning to get back in September. Would the park allow for a return of the deposit if it came to that?
- The seneschal would be the one who handles the deposit and would be the one to negotiate the return if necessary.
- Andreva suggested that if we contact them early enough, they might be willing to roll over the deposit to the next year.
- Justina mentioned that even if the government calls for everything to open, that doesn’t mean that people will want to go to an event yet.
- Should we budget for additional cleaning/sanitizing materials? Alessandra points out that *if* we can get additional sanitizing stuff, as cleaning supplies are hard to find right now.
- We should proceed with Red Tower assuming it will happen, but be prepared that it might be canceled.
- Sidebar – financial committee needs to clarify what the current rules are regarding who gets in free at events?
- Voted and passed
- Alessandra is looking for a deputy! It’s not hard – you just have to know how to count (sort of)
- Margavati will host another Indian/South Asian online social in the next couple of weeks. Emelina offered to advertise it on the kingdom page
- Justina brought up our presence at DragonCon.
- She said that (assuming it happens) we have the opportunity to host a panel; however, she is not comfortable with attending herself this year, given the current state of the pandemic. Is this something we want to pursue this year? She needs to let the coordinator know asap and preserve the connection for next year.
- Juliane said she has passes for this year, but already knows she will not be going.
- Maybe virtual panels? It will be important to keep the door open for next year
- Given the number of people in our Barony who are already hesitant to attend DragonCon, it doesn’t look like we would even have the staff to cover in-person tables/panels: however, we could easily manage virtual panels.
- Sir Iastreb’s robotics students put together a video for a competition – please view and vote for them! The winner goes to nationals.
- Finnbarr – Is there anything we can do as a Barony to help those who can’t get out or can’t find things when they go shopping? Wistric suggested that Finnbarr should post this in the baronial Facebook group. We definitely don’t want to see anyone going without or going hungry. Iazzie said that this sort of outreach is perfectly in keeping with the SCA’s goal of outreach, etc. so he is sure there would be no conflict.
- Aelia offered that she has a 100lb bag of bread flour – if you want some, just PM her.
- “New Jay” (as opposed to Captain Pietro) mentioned that stores are hiring extra security to guard some of the more sought-after items.
- Sawyer made a bunch of 3d printed disks if anyone wants them
Next business meeting: Wednesday, 3 June 2020. It will likely still be online via Zoom, but stay tuned!