South Downs Baronial Business Meeting
1 November 2017, 7:30pm
Atlanta Friends Meeting House
Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.
Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.
Several new people came to the meeting, so we all introduced ourselves, and shared our office (if applicable) and interests we each have.
- Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
- Anneliese Wolf’s name and device were registered at Laurel.
- Awards – Red Tower:
- THL Mathias Blackett – Red Raven
- Duke John of Ean Airgead, Lord Pietro di Conti, Mistress Mara Palmer – Kestrel’s Talon
- Lord Brendan de Hay – Falcon’s Faith
- Lady Emelina le Norreys – Swan’s Grace
- Mistress Sunneva de Cleia and Master Wistric Oftun – Phoenix’s Spark
- Beatrice – Sparrow’s Wing
- Marianna Cristina Tirado de Aragon – Heart of South Downs
- Lord Lucien d’Artois – South Downs Chivalry Award
- Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
- Practices are going well, especially Sundays at Liane Levetan Park. Recently,
turnout has been hit-or-miss because it’s now event season
- Tuesdays have been hit and miss, Owl’s Nest fighters don’t come out consistently
- No practice this weekend (5 November) because of ConjurationCon and regional practice in Tir Briste, so go there instead!
- We have one more youth fighter (Eric) yay!
- Lady Mairghread will be MiC of Friday night activities at Castle Wars. We are hoping to have (again) Knight Bowling and Friday Night Theme Music for fights (but we need another DJ
- Practices are going well, especially Sundays at Liane Levetan Park. Recently,
- Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
- We’ve been averaging 10 shooters at practice
- We now have both 10- and 20-yard target ranges
- We have youth archery!
- Our next practice is this coming Sunday (5 November) – for more info, check out our website
- Mistress Mara has a link to arrow sources – check with her for more info
- The populace inquired how many tassels does the baronial populace now have? The answer: a LOT!
- Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
- Practices. We are still having them, Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, temporarily moved to Blackburn Park due to the lighting situation at Liane Levetan. We’re averaging 2-12 people.
- We did hear back from Liane Levetan Park about the lighting situation – they’ve put in a work order
- There are lots of rapier activity planned for the fall event season – come out to events and get your stab on!
- For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
- No practice this weekend (5 November), due to ConjurationCon and the Tir Briste regional practice – come join us there!
- Ximon mentioned that we should work in some more demos – if you have any leads on demo opportunities, please let Brendan know
- Upcoming – SERFO (HEMA fencing tournament in Atlanta)! and Castle Wars!
- Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
- If you haven’t joined the South Downs Facebook group, do so! It’s the best place to keep up with what’s happening in the Barony
- Speaking of demos, ConjurationCon will happen the weekend of 4 November – come on out! We’re coordinating efforts with Bryn Madoc – come on out, it’s a lot of fun! Touch base with Stella or Piers if you are planning to help out, so they can know who to expect.
- Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
- Lady Alisandre taught October’s class on making fencing shirts – it was an excellent class
- Volunteers are needed for future activity/class nights! If you are interested, please contact Lady Veronica until the end of the month, or Mistress Sunneva beginning in December, as she will be taking over as the Baronial Arts + Sciences officer (yay!)
- This month’s class night is scheduled for the night before Thanksgiving – it was suggested that we reschedule until the following Wednesday, in conjunction with the fifth Wednesday potluck
- Reeve (THL Lady Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain)
- We have money! and checks! (no) thanks to Bank of America. We may be changing banks – Bank of America has been difficult to work with. Researching options now.
- Reservationist for Castle Wars reports almost 100 pre-registered, very low number at this point
- Sir Iazzie suggested that in addition to “spamming” the kingdom with advertisements, announce that reservations can be taken at Crown List
- Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
- Artisan’s Row page (Castle Wars)
- Officer’s Page (Master Ximon as Quartermaster)
- Awards pages
- Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
- The Baronial Newsletter (“The Read Tower”) is in progress – really! Hope to have it released in the next couple of weeks (before Christmas)
- Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
- Lady Juliane de Vivonne is the new deputy for site researching
- We need to look for sites for different types of events, small to Knowne World level events
- Their Excellencies
- We will see you all the next few weekends at ConjurationCon, Crown List, and Castle Wars!
- ConjurationCon (3-5 November 2017)
- Most of the info has already been conveyed – come on out!
- Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
- At Little Tallapoosa Park, co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
- Mattias has nothing new to report
- The newly-(re)formed Moneyers Guild will meet at Crown List; the Moneyers Guild is about making coins
- Pottycrat is still needed – Mairghread volunteered to do it on Saturday when she’s there (daytripping)
- Mathias is serving as acting seneschal at Crown list, as Wistric will not be able to make it
- Barony may need to bring tables and dayshades – need to arrange trip to storage unit to get them; maybe coordinate carrying stuff from Crown List to Castle Wars, as they are on two consecutive weekends
- Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
- Need to determine who can serve as reeve on site, as Mathias won’t be there. Maybe Maire?
- Needs help to attach tokens to things (strings? ribbon?). It was determined that this can be taken care of at next week’s meeting, since it’s project night 🙂
- Wednesday before Castle Wars, we will meet to help load the trailer. Ximon has offered to pull a trailer with his truck, as he will be attending the entire weekend.
- Need to approve funds to rent trailer, approved unanimously (~$200)
- Lorenzo has a trailer that can be used for overflow if necessary
- Juliane did her Iazzie impersonation to remind everyone that “THE BARON AND BARONESS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SET UP AND TEAR DOWN THEIR OWN STUFF. MUFFIN.”
- Discussed alcohol policy – no open containers, no visibly pouring into cups etc.
- Castle walls – Iazzie has repaired them and built a gate system for them. They still need to be painted grey this weekend at THL Kynwric’s house. more work to be done after Castle Wars on them (sealing/varnish). Expect to need $400 on repairs, with $ available to make 10 more walls.
- Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
- Alisandre still waiting to hear from Sibella to confirm site availability (University of West Georgia)
- The Meridian Order of the Blade will sponsor a fundraiser lunch of a variety of chilis and stews
- Cub Scout Demo (25 January 2018)
- At the University Heights Methodist Church, at 7:00pm
- We’ve been invited by special request of the Cubmaster (again!) 🙂 The Cubmaster is a big DragonCon and photography aficionado
- Each den provides a speaker for one meeting each year, this den has a theme of knights in shining armor, etc., and they’ve loved having us over in past years
- Lady Alisandre will be making candied orange peel this weekend at her home, and has invited anyone who wants to learn to make it to come over and learn/help.
- Iazzie is working on doing some short Cervantes and Shakespeare plays for future A+S opportunities. Perhaps resurrect the actors’ guild (of sorts)?
- Nothing new to report
Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 December 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.