South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

5 October 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 4th Wednesday class will feature Italian hemstitching, taught by Lady Alisandre.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting). For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
    • Lots of fighting at Red Tower – will discuss further in post mortem.
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Thank you to all who helped with Gold Key for Red Tower!
    • Are we interested in taking part in ConjurationCon (5 November 2016)?
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions – Name
      • Stella di Silvestri – passed Laurel
    • Court Reports
      • Red Tower – Royal Court
        • Tiberius of Meridies – Sovereign’s Pleasure
        • Sebastiannos Ionnides – Sovereign’s Pleasure
        • Ysabella Lucia Tirado de Aragon – AoA
        • Rebekah Zsido – AoA
        • Magnus Andersson – AoA
        • Camulocaros Bodogenicnos – Meridien Cross
        • Bjorn Gullhar – GoA
      • Red Tower – Baronial Court
        • Bjorn Gullhar – Red Raven
        • Pietro di Conti – Tower Gules
        • Jürgen der Veilfras – Tower Or
        • Juliane de Vivonne – Tower Or
        • Lucien d’Artois – Tower Or
        • Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain – Red Raven
        • Raven Helmsplitter – Heart of South Downs
      • Meridien Grand Tournament – Royal Court
        • Mandin Leon – OVO
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Still waiting on some receipts from Red Tower, so report will be next month
    • Castle Wars – will need to get some lights/lantern for site, esp important for primitive site. Would like to buy 5 (approved by populace)
    • Also need to buy a printer/scanner, hoping to spend ~$100 by the time the new reeve takes over
    • Popups for barony – Maire has a lead on period canvas popups ($68), canvas only. Will need to get poles for them separately (6ft?) Lowe’s 2x2x6; dogbones; ropes, and containers/totes for each. Faire will be submitting a proposal outlining all prices. Looking to get 4 popups. Mikhail has a store in Stone Mountain and sells iron stakes. questions about details (black/blue vs white, costs,etc) Went to a vote (passed nearly unanimously)
  • Their Excellencies
    • Coronation is coming up this weekend – in case anything unfortunate should happen…
    • Other events Their Excellencies will be attending:
      • War of the Wings coming up (12-16 October)
      • Danelaw (22 October)
      • Silver Hammer (22 October)
      • Gatalop (29 October)
      • Panhandle (4-6 November) – Bill Bosch is bringing his smoker (!!!)
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Recent Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2016)
    • Pros
      • No one complained about portapotties!
      • Feast!!!
      • Having feast hall/tent available all weekend to hang out in was a great gathering spot
      • Having rapier and rattan fight side by side
      • Lyst mistresses were awesome!
      • Rattan/rapier team tournament was a ton of fun!
      • Troll was well-organized
    • Cons
      • There was a fair amount of confusion about where things went on Friday (during setup);
      • Communication issues
      • Could use more space between the pavilions and the lyst field for walk space and safety
      • Kids – can we share the responsibility of supervising kids’ activities so everyone can enjoy the event more? Talk to the KMoC to get info for background checks, so more people can volunteer
      • Hand sanitizer in portapotties and more toilet paper
      • Torches at night? If we do this, then they’ll have to be monitored; option: everyone carries lanterns?
      • Solar powered lights in portapotties!! Like Pennsic? We should have them! Snorri (?) will be loaning a set of lanterns for all the portapotties for Castle Wars
      • Trash bags/cans for portapotties (for sanitary supplies, etc)
      • Need plan for trash pickup and site cleanup – better organization needed!

 

Upcoming Events

  • Demo at Darlington School (Rome GA) (21 October 2016)
    • Matthias was contacted about having us take part in a demo for high schoolers at the Darlington School, in conjunction with the Rome Shakespeare Festival. They’re particularly interested in anything late period
    • Event/demo is on a Friday morning (the afternoon before Danelaw), so anyone who can come out to help would be appreciated. Contact Matthias if interested.
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Still need volunteers:
      • Kids’ activities supervisor/coordinator
      • Set up coordinator – Maire volunteered, since she’ll already be onsite (for troll?)
      • Strike coordinator
      • Revel coordinator – does not mean you have to do it yourself, just coordinate
    • Site will open at 4:00pm on Thursday for attendees, set up starts at noon Thursday
    • Maire will be bringing 6 people to help set up, but can use more volunteers as well
    • Castle walls are currently living in Sir Tim’s garage, and he will help get them to site (per Mathias). We need to talk to Tir Briste to coordinate since we share the walls – can we get a neutral storage space for them? Perhaps a storage locker in Macon, and split costs with Tir Briste? or perhaps the Shriners would let us build a shed onsite? After some discussion, Ximon suggested we table the discussion until the next meeting
    • Feast is finalized, 4 courses – one from each of the cultures represented in the fighting scenarios
    • A+S – still collecting info
    • Spinning the hype!
    • There will be a fabulous ball Friday night!
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Site has been confirmed! MWA&S will be held at the University of West Georgia (where RUM and last year’s MWA&S were held)
    • The Meridian Order of the Blade (MoB) wants to do a fundraiser lunch – looking for lunch ideas. Perhaps the Companions of the Argent Rapier (CAR) will be interested in assisting?
  • Bids for Future Events
    • Kingdom Level events for 2017
      • If interested, it’s not too early to get a bid together Artsy Crown? Spring Coronation?
      • Portia is willing to help/autocrat
    • Event dates for 2019 – need to get them on the calendar now (!!!)
      • Midwinter
      • Red Tower

 

Other SCA Business

  • Justina is working on getting a local boy scout and girl scout troop together for an SCA demo; Bam also has a local troop up his way who would be interested. In addition to all the good things that demos do, this could help us get access to some of the local girl scout camps for events.
  • Youth Marshal needs gear, especially armored fighting gear – there is nothing in the loaner kit right now (Charmone)

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Margavati mentioned Abel needs to borrow a popup for western maker faire. He’s also working on something with flintlocks
  • Indian dance festival – Margavati is performing (Jimmy Carter Blvd)
  • Bam – has officially moved back to South Downs! And there was much rejoicing!

 
All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 November 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Filed under: Meeting Minutes

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!