As of this writing, the next few live weapons practices will be held on: 1/19/2020, 2/23/2020, 3/29/2020, 4/19/2020 and 5/3/2020.
For the practice location and further details see the South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice Facebook group.
South Downs Baronial Business Meeting
4 September 2019, 7:30pm
Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.
THL Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Mark de Wytteney, sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”
Mark also announced that we have a lot of business to cover tonight, including the South Downs baronial awards nominations and voting, and Red Tower.
- Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
- Mairghread announced that her marshal warrant has been renewed for another two years.
- At Foxes, we will have an all-women armored team, and are looking to field a second team for the Barony. Rapier will also be fighting for Her Excellency at Foxes.
- The Shire of Owl’s Nest will no longer host a Tuesday practice after Castle Wars, so we may move our own Tuesday night practice back to Brook Run Park in Dunwoody.
- Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
- Ben has been absent lately and thanked all who helped cover “his slack butt”
- Practices are continuing at Brook Run Park on Tuesday nights and Sunday afternoon, and as Lady Mairghread mentioned, it looks like armored practice will join us again on Tuesdays later in the fall
- THL Piers will be coordinating rapier teams for Foxes
- Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
- Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
- We totally rocked DragonCon (yay!)
- Because we didn’t have a booth this year, we were able to focus our efforts on the panels we worked on – everyone thought that worked really well
- Already thinking about next year’s DragonCon – she would like to coordinate efforts with the middle ages historical panels, and has been brainstorming on class ideas.
- The organizers have asked for the “darker part of history” (pre-1800s)
- If you are interested in taking part, please contact Justina
- Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)
- Bú has put in a request for the Barony to have a booth at the upcoming Maker Faire
- She was looking at a possible demo at next year’s Decatur Book Festival, but it is the same weekend as DragonCon, so there’s not much interest (since most will be at DragonCon). May revisit later in the year as everyone’s DragonCon plans shape up (or not)
- Arts & Sciences (Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle)
- We have A&S in the Barony, and it is good! Yay!
- Labyrinth Challenge at Red Tower – to clarify, this is for fun, it is not a judged or regional A&S faire. Take the image of the labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral and create something inspired by it. It can be anything (bake a pie, for example!), Innovation and creativity are key! Her Excellency finds the labyrinth inspiring.
- Thanks to the response from the populace, Baronial Arts & Sciences classes are nearly completely scheduled for 2019, but there’s still opportunities to share you knowledge! If you are interested in teaching a class, please fill out the form or contact Alisandre directly.
- Webminister (Captain Pietro di Conti)
- We have a website!
- Posted 15th Century dinner pictures, mask decorating pictures, block printing pictures
- Set up web site logins for Alisandre (A&S) and Emelina (Social Media)
- Updated Red Tower event page with latest info:
- event flyer
- site rules
- instructor signup
- feast menu
- A&S competition
- Updated Castle Wars event page with latest info:
- New pages for:
- Lady Aelia Bassina of Veii
- Lady Isabella Parr
- Updated pages for:
- THL Isabetta de San Marco
- Lord Jürgen der Vielfrass
- Updated awards for:
- Lady Agnes Halydaye
- Lady Justina di Silvestri
- Lord Nikon Dawidowicz
- Master Ximon Martillo de Córdoba
- THL Mark de Wytteney
- Baroness Rhonwyn Alyna nic an Chrosain
- Moved the lists of Heart of South Downs and South Downs Chivalry recipients to their own pages
- Updated site and all plugins and themes to WordPress 5.2.2.
- Keeper of the Baronial Memes (Social Media Minister) (THL Emelina le Nourreys)
- Baronial Instagram has 17 followers
- Thanked Her Excellency, Captain Brendan, and a bunch of others
- Seneschal (THL Mark de Wytteney)
- Reminded everyone to please sign in if they hadn’t done so already.
- Their Excellencies, Master Wistric and Mistress Sunneva
- We still have a baby! yay!
- Fielding teams at Foxes for Her Excellency! Yay! If you want to be on a team, let the relevant marshal know and they can set you up!
- Awards voting tonight – description for how things will be run at the end of the meeting
- Will ask each group to define itself going forward – what virtues, qualities do we want to focus on for each award? How do we want to see this going forward? Start a conversation 🙂
- Award recommendations – send them in, please! We have events (yay!) and we love to give out awards. Hit them up or fill out the award form on the seneschal page. They keep all the recommendations they receive
- DragonCon is 12 months away – we need someone to organize the parade. Will discuss after Castle Wars
- The baronial bebbeh loves bananas, his toes, and falling on his face.
- Red Tower (4-6 October, 2019)
- Need volunteers, like yesterday!
- Mistress Allesandra is putting a signup sheet on the troll page
- Need someone to sponsor a fundraiser lunch – if no one, then it will be a BYO picnic lunch. Should we reach out to other groups to see if anyone would like to do it?
- Need a herald – Master Mathias said “sure!”
- We’re going to have another project night (masks, tokens!)
- We will have a scavenger hunt with little dolls wearing Toby clothes hidden around the site. The fate of the baronial babe is in the populace’s hands (!!!) Votes will be determined by those who earn marbles via the various activities throughout the event. HOW MANY MARBLES?
- There are glass beads/tokens at the storage unit, but they are not clear, which is what Justina wants for aesthetics. THL Lucien offered to paint them clear :-D.
- It was suggested that you can get a large bag of glass marbles at the dollar store
- Need people to teach classes! We currently have no one teaching classes. Lorenzo is writing up a class that he wants to teach at Red Tower, regarding codpieces
- Armored tournament- championship is a bear pit. AMiC will be someone from Owl’s Nest
- Bryn Madoc is managing the live weapons activities at Red Tower
- Castle Wars (21-24 November 2019)
- Still looking for some volunteers
- PayPal opens this Friday
- Feast – above the salt feast has 24 seats, below has 75?
- Working on getting the insurance set up
- Possible golf cart for facilitating parking?
- THL Juliane – will start hyping the event on Friday;
She is working with Garrett to see what options we have for siege weapons, if it’s at all possible
- Can we get Mike Moulton’s boom stick display if the BSA will allow it
- Ben clarified the new BSA rules – only impacts things that scouts themselves can take part in
- We know that archery and live weapons are good, since we have the same contract as we did for Coronation
- We don’t want to scare the site off
- Master Lorenzo – are we doing a baronial camp, and if so, has anyone considered coordinating it? Everyone looked at THL Stella
- Encampment will be the same as at Fools War, near troll
- Midwinter Arts &Sciences (1 February 2020)
- Lady Raven is contemplating submitting a bid, but needs to find a site (will work with Master Ximon?)
Other SCA Business
- Mara – is archery marshal for Crossroads in 2 weeks. It will be fun!
- Also at Crossroads – Lorenzo will be hosting a little shindig at the front porch of his pavilion to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his Laurelling
- Fall Coronation – there is going to be another scribal challenge, and there will also be a naughty challenge sponsored by the courtesans, with naughty goodies as the prize! And Fame! Glory! (Not much fortune, though)
- There will also be a middle eastern contest at Coronation
- Andreva is going to be performing with her vocal ensemble – tickets are $10! Come support her group
- Makers – starting a woodworking meetup on 9/20 at 7pm in Decatur
- Mathias – if you went to DragonCon, Viking Alchemist is offering 10% discount in September with your badge
- Possible special DragonCon brew for next year? Yay!
Business meeting is closed; voting for Heart of South Downs and Chivalry awards will now take place.
Next business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 October 2019, at the Doraville Civic Center.
23 October 2019, 7:30pm
Notes submitted by Captain Brendan de Hay on behalf of Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.
THL Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”
Tonight’s meeting includes a review (“post-mortem”) of our Red Tower event that took place 4-6 October 2019.
- Deputy Chatelaine for Demos (Lady Bú Feiyan)
- Anyone available for a demo on 31 October? Demo is a Reformation-themed event for students aged 5 through 11 at Providence Classical Christian School in Oxford, GA. Possibly because it takes place on a weekday (and Halloween), there wasn’t much interest.
- Milton Library, Saturday, 26 October, from 8:30am through 6:00pm.
- Start talk with “Dream” video.
- 1-2 hours of talking time slots.
- Lots of space for dancing, fighting, outdoors (different types of outdoor spaces, so weather may be a factor)
- Possibly a big indoor room for activities
- Would love to have hands-on activities for children (possibly calligraphy?)
- ConjurationCon, 15-17 November, Hilton Atlanta Airport
- We are invited to take part all three days
- Two outdoors tables and one indoor table
- Fighting on Quidditch field all day Friday and Saturday
- Outdoor space available 2-4 Saturday and 12-2 Sunday
- Deadline for passes will be at least one week out; if interested to take part, please contact Bu directly
- Castle Wars (21-24 November 2019)(
- Memorial shoot for Mikael at CW. (Countess Gwenhyfar). Fynlow will run it, but when & where in the schedule? Has to be in daytime, because Meridian rules don’t allow night shoots. Autocrat will contact Countess Gwen. Need volunteers. Shoot and ceremony may be long.
- Minister of Children: Pavilion was really too cold. THL Juliane says different location AND tarp walls and heaters will be available. However, tarp walls need to be purchased by Barony. Juliane will address… Expect to purchase something we can use for long-term, possibly at other sites too. Juliane will call Ranger John and get measurements on space. Lady Agnes made a long-term suggestion for a collection of children’s cloaks
- Lady Justina volunteered to be revel coordinator, and is looking for volunteers and ideas. Juliane said the hall is already planned out.
- We need teachers!
- Lord Jürgen requested volunteers to help with Troll – he needs a Barony member who has taken the PayPal class to be at Troll at all times.
- Red Tower (4-6 October 2019)
- Lady Justina and Lady Isabella, autocrats for Red Tower, thanked all the volunteers. General Approbation from the populace (the autocrats did a great job!) It was agreed that silly-themed Red Towers are memorable.
- Amanda reminded future autocrats to make sure you print the baronial inventory and re-check on re-pack.
- Seneschal suggested we need to do an inventory before CW, and do or re-do the lists for each bin
- The Barony needs hand soap!
- In the future, we need more volunteers for pack out
- The autocrats felt that site management was unresponsive. (Fire alarms were chirping.) Site visit was confirmed several times and then still got over-booked. Plumbing issues. Not enough lighting, many existing lights not functioning. No trash cans (we had to buy some). Flooding and broken pumps at main bath house.
- Site is booked for next year. Alternative sites are being looked at for future years. Deposit is refundable.
- Need signs on cabin doors.
- THL Mark suggested a “landcrat” even for the cabin site. Autocrats received complaints about first-come-first-served cabin assignments. Several groups wanted to camp as a group, and wanted to reserve a group site. Mark says it’s not really possible to pre-reserve the map for cabin-only events. Exceptions on a case-by-case basis if there are special circumstances (Bloody Ridge, for example, had an elevation).
- A better map would be really helpful.
- Friday evening fighting is likely to be sparse at Red Tower
- The Marshal in Charge (Lady Mairghread) and Lord Jürgen agreed that they should have marked out bigger spaces for the fighting field. Mark suggested that a site steward would be a good idea (different from landcrat?) General comments were positive, though.
- Jullianne says We need job descriptions for our jobs… We need to write it up. Her Ex suggests a committee to write individual descriptions, then a project night meeting for input. Count Sebastian recommends that it be a living document (changes between events). Julie and Mark both talking about project shared document.
- Need more signage to get people into the site (within the park). Mark says we need a policy about how signs are placed. Juliane suggests a project night for MORE SIGNS. Mark says all self-standing (not staked). Someone else suggests that the signs which are black & blue are hard to see.
- THL Alisandre sent in comments while out of town (in the Midrealm’s scenic Marche of Winged Hills), also suggesting more signs would have been helpful. She and Captain Pietro drove around the park for close to half an hour lost that morning.
- Signs for all the “standard” building sites (troll, main hall, etc.) should be in baronial colors, but visible. Mark wants to make them more reflective. Money will be an issue. (Isabella suggests that those paints do go on sale.)
- Mark received email complaints re: spiders and general lack of pre-event cabin cleanliness. Group acknowledged that only so much can be done. Agnes (arachnophobe) volunteered to be the spider hunter.
- Mark received comments about where court is held at that site – there was no parking or access at court location. Perhaps court at the field where cars are parked? Lucien ointed out that court on the field would lengthen load-out (personal pavilions would be left up later). We seem to be outgrowing the site.
- Jürgen heard complaints about high event fee ($20). Mark commented that people need to learn that sites are more expensive now than many SCA members remember – this is just something people need to learn. Juliane added that comparisons with other groups who have lower overhead are not fair.
- Mask sales didn’t work out so well – perhaps sell at or adjacent to troll instead of later in the day? Mark suggested that we could advertise sales more.
- Countess Gwen reminded us that it WAS a really good event – South Downs people do a great job. Side note: Learn to turn the price complaints into market research. Get them to be specific about feedback—what do they want or are willing to pay for?
- Merchants were all really happy. One was back after a long absence, one new, very happy.
Other SCA Business
- Count Sebastiannos and Countess Morgan thanked everyone for all their help during their reign. Morgan then distributed some last minutes kids’ and scribal items.
Next business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 November 2019, at the Doraville Civic Center.
Greetings to everybody we got to meet at Conjuration! Thanks for stopping by to talk arts and watch the fighting.
Check out our “About Us” page to find links to our Facebook groups, other nearby SCA groups, and the Kingdom of Meridies website where you can find your local group wherever you are in Alabama, Georgia, the Florida panhandle, and eastern Tennessee.
We look forward to seeing you again soon!