People of South Downs

From Pietro di Conti, deputy webminister:

I’ve been working on updating/merging the online Order of Precedence and Artisans Database for South Downs; please check out the new “People of South Downs” page under the “About Us” menu (or you can go directly there from this link).

If you’re a South Downs person, please take a look and let me know if I’m missing your name, and/or if the info I have for you is wrong or incomplete (I’m sure it will be for a lot of people). You can message me, tell me in person, or (probably easiest) submit the online form on that web page.

March 15 Meeting Location Change

Due to the number of people who will be out of town for Gulf Wars, we have not reserved our usual meeting location for next Wednesday. Instead, Baron Lorenzo will be hosting the meeting at his house. The scheduled activity is dance, but if you just want to come work on projects or socialize, all are welcome. The address is:

3911 Rivaridge Ct., Marietta, GA 30062

Videos from Meridian Challenge of Arms 2017

Videos courtesy Lady Raven Helmsplitter

Don Lazarus Gauge vs Maestro David Twynham

 

Don Lazarus Gauge vs Nikoslav Mikaelovich

 

Don Lazarus Gauge vs Master Wistric Oftun

 

Captain Marquette Hildebrand vs Captain Davio de la Rouge

 

Master Wistric Oftun vs Don Lazarus Gauge (finals)

Bliaut class notes

Class notes from Mistress Sunneva’s Bliaut-making workshop!

Bliaut Instructions 2017

Call for Contributions for Baronial Newsletter “The Read Tower”

Unto the populace of the Barony of South Downs does Lady Raven Helmsplitter, Baronial Chronicler, send greetings!

Are you a writer? an artist? a fighter? Do you have knowledge to share with your Barony? You are invited to share your skills and talent with your Barony by contributing to our NEW quarterly newsletter (working title: The Read Tower)…

I’d like to use this newsletter to focus on the talents of South Downs and use reprinted articles or stock images or clip art sparingly if at all. All work will be properly credited and be accompanied by appropriate Society release forms, which can be found in the Files section on the Facebook Barony of South Downs group, or here: http://kingdom.meridies.org/index.php/offices/chronicler

What sort of content am I looking for?

  • Visual artists:
    • Cover illustrations (scalable to 8.5 x 11”)
    • Banners or page borders;
    • Illustrations or photographs to contribute to articles, etc.;
    • marginalia or a set of initial letters to add to an article…
  • Writers:
    • Baronial officers and guilds – there is space available for a column of your choosing; potential topics could include:
      • Highlight a project your group is working on
      • Discuss news the Barony will find useful
      • Share some history of the barony or your guild.
    • General populace – potential topics could include:
      • Articles on improving your garb, or camping or fighting kits;
      • Research you may be working on for a particular A+S topic;
      • Writeup (and illustrations) of a class you may have taught – we can include links to handouts;
      • Recipes (is the South Downs Supper Club still active?);
      • Recent baronial events, from an attendee’s point of view
      • An interview with a member of the Barony – “Ten Questions with…?” (currently working on compiling a list of questions)
    • Article length should be approx. 250-500 words to keep everything accessible. If you have something that is longer, we can work something out – perhaps split up the article into chapters to be published over multiple issues?

I’d like to develop a library of artwork and non-event-specific articles to draw from for future issues, and perhaps even form the base for specific theme issues.

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions – I’m looking forward to working with all of you to get this newsletter going! Please send your contributions to me at mawrtyr88@gmail.com

First deadline for contributions: Friday, March 10, 2017 (before everyone leaves for Gulf Wars), for the First Quarter 2017 issue.

Thanks!
Raven

February Baronial Business Meting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

1 February 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Working on newsletter
      • Will post a call for content on website and FB group shortly
      • Content deadline for the first issues will be 28 February, for publishing late March
      • Need name for newsletter: The Tower Times? The Read Tower?
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices are going well! We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have several new fencers who are almost ready to authorize
    • MCA – the second annual Meridian Challenge of Arms – is coming, 25 February 2017, at University of West Georgia. Come on out and support the fencers of South Downs!
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • THL Mathias reported on behalf of Lord Robert; 3-4 fighters come out to practice each week.
    • We will have practice on Sunday of Midwinter A+S as much as possible, working around conflicts with War College and the Super Bowl
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Demo season is coming! Abel is coordinating Streets Alive! on 11 June over by Georgia Tech. Streets Alive is held several times a year, throughout the city – the 11 June event is the most likely to not conflict with other SCA events, so come on out!
    • There will be Gold Key at Midwinter A+S, so even if you don’t have garb yet, you’re set for Midwinter A+S
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! And thanks to Lord Pietro, the South Downs’ FB group posts are now feeding into the website (so cool!)
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Will bring heraldry books to the research library at Midwinter A+S, and will be consulting – so if you’re working on a name or device, this will be an excellent opportunity to get help on your submissions
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Piers Simmons – passed Kingdom! Yay!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Report will be part of the Midwinter A+S update below
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Year-end Domesday report was submitted on time
    • We have money!
  • Their Excellencies
    • Reporting on behalf of Her Excellency Adela, His Excellency Lorenzo announced that the Meridian Knowne Worlde Party will be Thursday night at Gulf Wars, not Saturday! Everyone is encouraged not only to attend, but volunteer – earn volunteer points for the Barony (and yourself) while you sling drinks at the party!
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Seneschal report will be submitted in the next couple of days
    • Master Wistric will step up as Seneschal in April

 

(Kingdom-Level) Event Bids for 2017

  • Bid for Coronation fell through; Glenn Rhe got it
  • Red Tower (7 October 2017)
    • We got Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held) for Red Tower, complete with cabins and kitchen! Had hoped to get Hard Labor, but discovered it was already booked (need to book 13 – not 12 – months in advance)
    • Even though we have a site for Red Tower, we don’t have a bid – so please submit a bid to autocrat by the April business meeting
  • Because we didn’t get the bid for Coronation (was it awarded to Glenn Rhe before we could submit a bid?), we still need to submit a KLE bid – possibly RUM or Artsy Crown?
    • RUM
      • Pros
        • More time to plan event than Artsy Crown
        • Midsummer is not a busy time in the schedule
        • Easier event to run – RUM staff handles much of the event planning
      • Cons
        • Possibly one other bid submitted
    • Artsy Crown
      • Pros
        • Could co-autocrat with another group (Tir Briste? Another shire?)
        • No other bids have been submitted that we know of
      • Cons
        • Memorial Day weekend is coming up soon
        • Being a holiday weekend, potential sites may already be reserved
        • Potential site at Shrine (that we could work with Tir Briste on) is likely unavailable, since it is hay season
  • We need to replenish and expand our list of suitable event sites – some suggested are:
    • Wesleyan College in Macon, where RUM was held 3 years ago
    • Georgia Gwinnett College, where Saltare was held a few years ago
    • UGA, but would need collaboration with MARS (the UGA student SCA group)
    • Kennesaw State University (either campus)
  • There was a recollection of Mistress Peryn having once compiled a list of event sites – is it still available? still current at all?
  • The populace was asked to look for potential event sites over the next two weeks and provide any options to Mathias and his committee, who will then contact the sites and get more information
  • We used to have a deputy seneschal whose job was dealing with sites – can we do that again?
  • Lord Lucien volunteered to autocrat an event, as long as he could work with a more experienced co-autocrat; Mathias offered to help him – REVENGE OF THE HERALDS!
  • Other event bids needed – bids due for April business meeting:
    • Castle Wars
      • Iazzie and Piers are working on a bid for Castle Wars
  • Regarding our site at the Shrine in Macon: Mathias spoke with Sir Tim – the Shrine is very happy to have us, and thinks it may be a good idea for us to put up a permanent storage structure for Castle Wars and other event-specific supplies (Lord Brendan suggested a giant silo of Andro). This storage structure will be shared with Tir Briste. We would build it ourselves, with the understanding that we will be committed to holding Fools War and Castle Wars there for the next couple of years (at an agreed-upon rate). We should get a contract to guarantee prices for the period. Duke John recommended that we first figure out what size shed/storage building we will need to store all the things.
  • Maire will have a mtg with Tir Briste and will make sure everyone is on the same page. Added bonus – this could also allow us to move to a smaller SD storage unit.

 

Upcoming Events

  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (4-5 February 2017)
    • Everything seems to be under control
    • Lost three classes this week, but it looks like replacement classes may already be lined up
    • Please pre-reg! Zeliha is managing registrations
    • Master Lorenzo is coordinating site cleanup – please get in touch with him if you can help
    • Site load-in starts at 7:00am Saturday morning – there are rumors of coffee and doughnuts being provided for the early birds
    • Lord Pietro is coordinating troll, and Mathias will be handling money (Maire has to work that day, and Zeliha needs to step away from her role as deputy for the time being). Volunteers for troll are welcome!
    • Bring your cash and your appetite! The Meridian Order of the Blade will sponsor a fundraiser lunch – several varieties of soups and stews will be offered, along with a drink and cookies for $5. Proceeds from the lunch will help establish a bank account for the MoB which will fund tournament prizes, etc.
    • There will not be a regional practice on Sunday, since War College will be the same weekend – but we will still have our regular practice that Sunday at Blackburn Park

 

Other SCA Business

  • Mistress Mara asked if we could have baronial business cards to hand out at demos, etc. Vistaprint is having a sale on business cards, so it would be rather inexpensive. Lady Raven volunteered to design them.
  • Rhiannon mentioned that Hedgehog Handworks is closing, as the owner is retiring. Some great deals on the website for embroidery supplies are available – check it out!

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Maire has started a new career as a tax preparer and is looking for clients – come see her if you need help with your taxes
  • Duke John mentioned the Atlanta Soldier Show will be held the weekend of 17 February at the Marriott Century Center (I-85 and Clairmont Rd), and will feature model military figures from all time periods, very cool
  • Netherworld will be open for one weekend only for Valentine’s Day event – reservations only

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 1 March 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Midwinter A&S 2017

Midwinter A&S was a great success!  Thanks to everyone who came, and thanks to everyone who helped!

16508981_10155710686072388_2601423347960216815_n 16487886_1716726738639765_2945650788656776879_o 16473411_10103044467435258_2425508803789102278_n
16472806_10153620453987325_7609117991539195723_n 16426105_10154792885676335_1069671304041911412_n 16603149_10155724504132786_759095879475769462_n
16603135_10155724495752786_7429121699932017051_n 16602909_10155724495272786_2670761198472272768_n 16508788_10155724494172786_2592067123778721159_n
16508734_10155724495362786_510865792622238319_n 16508700_10155724504657786_7116732921358080821_n 16508254_10155724495057786_4969767256827262062_n
16473882_10155724495827786_5633542019915420551_n 16473099_10155724495622786_6838483720380094764_n 16472876_10155724504347786_134653817765644963_n
16472873_10155724495502786_6589864992048061422_n 16426234_10155724494827786_5573040768701716362_n 16426136_10155724504057786_5812095879079498570_n
16426108_10155724494457786_1000902045670044839_n 16425834_10155724503867786_110993911756483827_n 16425759_10155724503962786_2273614260018578087_n
16406873_10155724504402786_2246279304764370191_n 16406480_10155724504197786_1184027548759757707_n 16299259_10155724504272786_3207493033846865917_n

January Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

4 January 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois – our new Herald – called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Mentioned plans for newsletter
      • Plans to publish it quarterly, first issue (hopefully) end of March
      • Seeking artists, writers, photographers for content – would like to show what we are doing as a barony, and offer as much original content as possible
      • Baronial officers and marshals are welcome to contribute content – A+S Salon, Marshals’ Column, etc.
      • Other content ideas: articles from guilds; event summaries (with photos); recipes (does the South Downs Supper Club still exist?); How To Improve Your Fighting or Camping Kit; etc.
      • Articles should be ~250 words (about one page)
      • More information (including links to release forms) forthcoming, both on South Dows website (here) and Facebook group
      • Oh, and we need a title for the newsletter – ideas welcome!
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices are going well! We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have a new winter practice location for Tuesday evenings, at Gerrick’s house in Peachtree Corners, with a backup at Brendan’s office warehouse.
    • For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook.
    • THL Mathias took care of the insurance paperwork so we can have our practices where we need to have them.
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! Midwinter A+S has a website! Yay!
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Bram Halfdannarson – passed Kingdom
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have had some new people show up and they’re coming back, yay!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • December was a great month! THL Mathias taught a great class on singing.
    • A+S competition season has started. Mistresses Allesandra and Sunneva will again offer their class on the basics of entering an A+S competition, including feedback, how do judges review work, what the judging sheets are all about, etc., just in time for Stella Nova at Midwinter A+S.
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • We have money! What shall we do with some of it? (See below!)
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal nights continue to be held on the first Monday of the month at Their Excellencies’ home.
    • Her Excellency Adela is planning on attending Black Gryphon (17-19 February) – if you are interested in carpooling or caravaning, please contact her
    • This year’s Meridian Knowne Worlde social is on Saturday night (edit: rumors abound that it may been moved earlier in the week, but I currently can’t find confirmation); Lady Ysmay and Sir Tim are running it and seek volunteers
    • More Gulf Wars: there is an open call for advertisements – events, non-merchanting announcements, etc., are sought out
    • There will again be a volunteer raffle at Gulf Wars! Volunteers can earn points for their local group (South Downs!) and raffle tickets to score lovely prizes!
    • Opening day procession is likely Tuesday morning of War Week. We would like to have banners made for procession, should have 8 total (6 new?) in time
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Midwinter A+S is coming! Now is the time to write recommendations for deserving gentles, as Crown will be attending! Mathias reminded everyone that if you are not 100% sure that a person has a particular award check the Meridian Order of Precedence – you would be surprised at the awards people deserve but DONT HAVE.
    • War College will be held in Alabama the same weekend as Midwinter A+S
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Fighting classees at Midwinter? Check with Lord Robert if you need support for your class

 

Upcoming Events

  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
    • There will be fighting! Classes! Feasting! (Twelfth Night feast is potluck – check FB event page or website (below) for details)
    • Event website
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (3-5 February 2017)
    • We should start looking for closer-in event sites where we can hold MWA+S and we can spread out; weekend event with A+S on Saturday and fighting on Sunday at the same site, for example
    • Entry deadline for Stella Nova @ is coming up
    • We have a whopping 2 reservations (!!!) please pre-reg!
    • We have 11 teachers, looking for more – talk to Lady Veronica if you are interested
    • We need volunteers for troll, people to put up and take down directional signs. Master Ximon has volunteered to take care of the street signs
    • We need volunteers for setup, who can be on site early Saturday morning early. Because the site is not secure, it is recommended we set up Saturday morning (6:30-7:00am) instead of Friday night. Several people volunteered.
    • There is no official floor plan, but we’d love to have one set up for reference (chronicler’s note: there is now a simple one on the event program)
    • The Meridian Order of the Blade will sponsor a fundraiser lunch – stew, drink, cookies for $5. There was discussion about where can lunch be set up, especially if weather is bad?
    • We have two merchants already requesting space, we could possibly fit as many as 4 on the first floor merchants area, with maybe a couple more on a different floor
    • Please contact Zeliha if you would like to pre-register
    • Anyone interested in volunteering, please contact Lord Pietro
    • Will there be a regional practice on Sunday, since War College will be the same weekend? Unlikely, but we will still have our regular practice that Sunday
  • Kingdom-Level Events for 2017
    • Bids for Red Tower and Castle Wars are due in April to encourage newer autocrats to step up – it’s never too early to put a bid together for these events!
    • Iazzie has offered to co-autocrat to help teach/supervise a newer autocrat
    • Red Tower (7 October 2017) – potential site is Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held).
      • We would need to put reservation in with 50% deposit. It’s a relatively expensive site with weird pricing structure, but we have the resources to give it a shot. Payoff could be HUGE
      • Bacon Bash is not a conflict in 2017
      • Duke John expressed concern that we have to go out of state for an event. Where else can we get a large cabin site for such events? We are always looking for closer-in sites, but there aren’t many that could handle an event this size.

 

Other SCA Business

  • THL Andreva and Mistress Jadi will host an A+S project night on the 2nd Thursday of the month (a week from tomorrow)
  • Margavati asked if anyone was planning on/interested in going to Trimaris’ A+S event this weekend?
  • Maire has completed taking over the baronial storage unit, and will have sign in/out sheets for all supplies to help keep track of everything
  • This year’s Streets Alive! is gearing up – Abel is coordinating, so stay tuned! Last year was a ton of fun, try to plan for it this year!

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Lord Bram will be taking part in Battle of the Nations as part of a 21 person team. The event will be in Barcelona – immediately, several people offered to serve as translator, crew, managers, etc. Because Barcelona :-)
  • Secret Santa gifts were then exchanged among the populace

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 January 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

Happy holidays!

–Raven

December Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

7 December 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

THL Bjorn called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Herald (THL Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions – Devices
      • Iastreb Desislavich – passed Kingdom
      • Stella di Silvestri – returned from Kingdom
    • Court Reports
      • Castle Wars – Royal Court
        • Pietro di Conti – AoA
      • Castle Wars – Baronial Court
        • Wistric Oftun – Tower Or
        • Veronica de Lucca – Tower Or
        • Alisandre Ysabeau de la Chapelle – Baronial Arts Champion
    • Bjorn announced that he will be stepping down as South Downs herald, and Lucien d’Artois will step up as the new Baronial Herald. Bjorn got a big round of applause in gratitude for all his work.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • Mistress Allesandra taught a very well-received class last week on A+S submissions. There is a lot of interest in offering it again before Midwinter A+S, with more time before the event so everyone would have time to make adjustments to their A+S entries.
    • Allesandra is interested in teaching a class in January (topic TBD)
    • THL Mattias would like to teach a class on performing arts (discussion with Veronica will ensue)
    • Will there be an open A+S competition at MW, or just Stella Nova? As of now, there isn’t other A+S planned, but perhaps there should be to encourage non-beginners?
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website!
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting).
    • We have a new winter practice location for Tuesday evenings, at Gerrick’s house in Peachtree Corners, with a backup at Brendan’s office warehouse.
    • For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
    • Wistric was named QRC at Magna Faire; everyone laughed that he will have to stand up in court again
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • Final numbers from Castle Wars – $5739.60 profit (more to follow in post-mortem)
    • Numbers are also available from Gulf Wars (need to get info from Maire)
    • We really need to look at where we should spend money for the Barony – conversation and plans are ongoing. Ximon suggested that we devote some time at next month’s meeting for proposals, etc.
    • We need to look at reducing/not increasing charges for events next year; we were quite fortunate in how we were charged for site rentals, etc. will discuss this further at January’s meeting.
    • Shower trailers for events at the Castle Wars site were suggested
    • Iastreb bought one of the pavilions we discussed previously and brought it to Crown. Was quite pleased with it, we could easily use 5 more.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal nights that have been held on first Thursdays will now be on the first Monday of the month at Their Excellencies’ home.
    • The populace is encourage to write recommendation letters for those who they find inspiring – Midwinter is coming! Matthias reminded everyone that if you are not 100% sure that a person has a particular award check the Meridian Order of Precedence – you would be surprised at the awards people deserve but DONT HAVE.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have had some new people show up at 5th Wednesday social and/or went to magna faire, yay!
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • We had two injuries at Castle Wars
    • War Practice to be held Saturday, 10 December, in the shire of Depedale; likely SD practice Sunday as usual.

 

Recent Events

  • Castle Wars (17-20 November 2016) Post Mortem
    • Note: There is a more detailed analysis of the event compiled by CW staff. Please check with Wistric if you’d like to see it (Google Docs)
    • Pros
      • Live weapons field adjacent to rapier/armored was a big hit!
      • We had approximately an extra 100 people likely from Richard RaeFen’s memorial; would like to get the attendance numbers without the sad circumstances that increase attendance this year.
      • Having feast hall/tent available all weekend to hang out in was a great gathering spot
      • Excellent merchant turnout
      • Wistric has supply suggestions/needs for future
      • Feast was amazing, we should do it again! First Castle Wars feast in many years
      • Revel was excellent, but Justina stressed about the timing between court/memorial/feast/revel
  • Cons
    • Bulk of problems occurred during load-in
    • FIRE ANTS! Thorough fire ant treatment would cost $300 (suggested schedule: month before, 2 weeks before, and day before)
    • We need to address needing help to set up/staff/strike
      • Discussion about where to get more volunteers – within barony? encourage other groups? we should look at models of other large kingdom/interkingdom events
      • We go to other events to have a good time, we should make sure things are taken care of so others can have a good time. more service at our own events
      • Autocrats need to be more aggressive in recruiting volunteers
      • We need to develop culture where everyone is expected to help out in some way
      • We should work on how to get information out about what is needed
      • How to build rapport with other groups to coordinate service?
    • Traveler’s fare – there was confusion about whether it was being offered Thursday night (it wasn’t, but communication can be clearer about it)? Friday night kitchen tech failed. REMINDER – these were all experimental, hadn’t done at previous CW events. Overall, it was much appreciated.
    • With the drought and the high winds during the weekend, there was confusion about the burn ban.
    • Information point needs to be out on the field, not (just) at Troll

 

Upcoming Events

  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (3-5 February 2017)
    • Need teachers for classes! Matthias will teach heraldry 101; Mariana has offered to teach a course as well
    • War college on same weekend – should contact HRM to suggest it perhaps there’s a better weekend to assign it into kingdom law than the same weekend as MW
  • Kingdom-Level Events for 2017
    • Bids for Red Tower and Castle Wars are due in April to encourage newer autocrats to step up – it’s never too early to put a bid together for these events!
    • Iazzie has offered to co-autocrat to help teach/supervise a newer autocrat
    • Red Tower (7 October 2017) – potential site is Booker T Washington Park in Chattanooga (where Crown Lyst was held).
      • We would need to put reservation in with 50% deposit. It’s a relatively expensive site with weird pricing structure, but we have the resources to give it a shot. Payoff could be HUGE
      • Bacon Bash is not a conflict in 2017
      • Duke John expressed concern that we have to go out of state for an event. Where else can we get a large cabin site for such events? We are always looking for closer-in sites, but there aren’t many that could handle an event this size.

 

Other SCA Business

  • Secret Santa! gift exchange will be at January business meeting

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Mattias and Mistress Mara just bought a house – housewarming party on 12/23!

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 January 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

Happy holidays!

–Raven

November Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 November 2016, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

 

Notes submitted by Lord Brendan de Hay (mka Ben Hay), South Downs Celebrity Stunt Chronicler.

Lord Bjorn called the meeting to order.

 

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report, thanks to Brendan for covering the meeting
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • All is well in rapier world. We continue to have practices Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons (weather and event schedule permitting). For the latest info on practice status, check Atlanta SCA Fighting group on Facebook!
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • This month’s 5th Wednesday class (due to the Thanksgiving holiday) will be on how to prepare your A+S project for competition, taught by Mistress Allesandra. The A+S class meeting is also the 5th Wednesday potluck
    • Interested in taking part in Stella Nova at Midwinter A+S? Registration for Stella Nova closes in 15 days (17 November)!
      • For registration, you only need to include your name, your (Laurel) sponsor’s name, and project category
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • We have some new members! yay!
    • We will be taking part in ConjurationCon this coming weekend (5 November 2016). We will need dancers and ???
    • Castle Wars
      • Class schedule and Castle Wars patrol
      • Need two popups
      • Next meeting – we will paint arms of the populace for Castle Wars
  • Reeve (THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chairain)
    • We have money!
    • Yearly report sent in tonight (2 days late)
  • Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a website! (yay!) We also have a website for Castle Wars! (yay encore!)
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • Castle Wars – schedule sent to Wistric and has been posted on website
    • Please contact Robert on Facebook if you are interested in helping marshal
    • There will be Youth Combat at Castle Wars (yay!)
  • Herald (Lord Bjorn Gullharr)
    • Submissions
      • Stella di Silvestri – submitted device
      • Iazzie – submitted new badge
  • Their Excellencies
    • Scribal night at-home will be tomorrow night (3 November)
      • Silk banners this weekend!
      • ??? banners
    • Castle Wars – please volunteer! We need volunteers throughout the event, especially cleanup!
    • If you are interested in retaining for Their Excellencies, please contact them
  • Seneschal (THL Mathias Blackett)
    • Nothing to report

 

Upcoming Events

  • ConjurationCon (5 November 2016)
    • Bryn Madoc and South Downs are co-coordinating the demo – if you are interested in taking part, please contact ???
    • If you are interested in volunteering, please get in touch with His Excellency Lorenzo
  • Crown List (11-13 November 2016)
    • Iazzie and Camulocaros will both be fighting in Crown List!
    • Baronial Pavilion will be near the field – all are welcome to stop by
  • Castle Wars (17 – 20 November 2016)
    • Takes place the week after Crown List
    • Still need volunteers:
      • Setup crew, starting at noon on Thursday 17 November
      • To help with stamping and threading site tokens – at meeting the Wednesday before Castle Wars
      • Troll
      • Kitchen cleanup
      • Site cleanup
      • Potty crew
      • Staff for Information Point
    • Revel at Castle Wars
      • Hat was passed for Revel donations. Justina has also coordinating a GoFundMe (not affiliated with South Downs, Meridies, or Society)
      • Need a tap for a commercial keg
      • Need beverage contributions
    • Zeliha is managing registration and announced she is happy to take reservations at the meeting
      • 160 total registered
      • 60 for feast (out of 100 spaces)
    • There will not be an overnight troll shift; troll will be closed between 2:00am and 7:00am
    • Registration will be extended – see website for details
    • Volunteer raffle – need donations!
    • 17 merchants have registered for Castle Wars
    • Anyone interested in camping with South Downs, please contact Lady Alisandre
    • Memorial events
      • Jochi Naran (Friday night)
      • Sir Richard Raefen
      • Viking ceremony to honor 6+ people who have passed this year, will be held Saturday evening after Court
  • Bryn Madoc Twelfth Night (7 January 2017)
    • His Excellency South Downs will be attending
    • Feast will be potluck
    • Is anyone interested in creating a South Downs Twelfth Night event? It’s been done in the past, very low-key
  • Midwinter A&S (3 – 5 February 2017)
    • Will host Stella Nova
      • 12 entries already received, six from South Downs!
      • Reminder: Stella Nova registration only requires Name/Laurel Sponsor/Category; no details are required at this point
  • Bids for Future Events
    • Kingdom Level events for 2017
      • Spring Coronation
        • Site: Booker T Washington Park, in Chattanooga
        • First weekend in April (31 March – 2 April 2017)
        • Portia is willing to help/autocrat

 

Other SCA Business

  • Informal Baronial At-Home at Castle Wars
    • Pavilion will be open for knitting, knitting instruction, and socializing
    • Begins at 10:00am
    • Closes before Court
    • There will be alcohol
    • We will also be working on relic bags (for those who don’t knit) – materials will be provided

 

Non-SCA Business

  • Andreva announced upcoming choir concerts, 2 and 4 December; please contact her for further information
  • SERFO (Southeast Renaissance Fencing Open) (11-13 November)
    • Organized by Master David, will be held at the Stone Mountain Community Center
    • Officially a HEMA event, but several SCA fencers take part
  • Duke John mentioned the Shakespeare First Folio exhibit at Emory
  • Vyviant at Georgia Tech needs volunteers to be interviewed for a research project on re-enacting
  • Fathom Events will be screening a rebroadcast of The National Theatre’s Hamlet, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, on 15 November

 

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

 

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 December 2016, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

 Page 2 of 9 « 1  2  3  4  5 » ...  Last »