October Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

4 October 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Practices are going well, especially Sundays at Liane Levetan Park
    • Tuesdays have been hit and miss, Owl’s Nest fighters don’t come out consistently
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. Nothing new. Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, temporarily moved to Blackburn Park due to the lighting situation at Liane Levetan. We did hear back from the folks at Liane Levetan Park – they have put in a work order for the lights, so we’re hoping things will be fixed soon.
    • Brendan thanked everyone who has helped cover marshalling practices when he’s had work conflicts
    • There are lots of rapier activity planned for the fall event season – come out to events and get your stab on!
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • Lady Stella, Master Lorenzo, and THL Mathias got their tassels
    • The October practice has to be moved to Sunday, 15 October (the Sunday of Coronation weekend)
    • Come on out to Red Tower! It will be fun for everyone, even new archers – loaner gear will be available if you’d like to try target archery
      • One of the shoots at Red Tower will be a stuffed animal shoot; Lady Justina suggested that she (or someone) could play teddy bear doctor to repair the shot stuffed animals,
        so the kids won’t be upset at shooting stuffed animals
    • Mara has not gone over budget, and is almost done buying all the things
    • For more information about archery in Meridies, please check out their website
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
    • Lady Stella will be taking on 2 deputies:
      • Demo deputy is Lord Piers
      • Gold key is Lady Justina
    • Donations have been made to the Barony – a range of things that will be useful in general
    • Do you have suggestions for future demos? Stella is setting up a Google Doc that will make it easy to submit your idea and send it on to Piers and Stella
    • Speaking of demos, ConjurationCon will happen the weekend of 4 November – come on out! Touch base with Stella or Piers if you are planning to help out, so they can know who to expect.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • A+S quarterly report to kingdom is due soon – Lady Veronica passed around a sheet so everyone could list what they’ve worked on this past quarter
    • This month’s class is a surprise! (ETA: Lady Alisandre taught a class on making fencing shirts
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Nothing to report
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Mini-business meeting last week happened – $1,000 was approved for upcoming expenses for Castle Wars,
      including propane tanks, torches, etc.
  • Reeve (THL Lady Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain)
    • Distributed several checks, per the previous week’s meeting
    • Maire reminded everyone working on upcoming events that it is preferred to submit your expense receipts as much all together as possible, so that fewer checks are written
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Five baronial badge submissions have advanced to Society
    • Court Report
      • Tourney of the Foxes:
        • Veronica da Lucca – Order of the Velvet Owl
      • Meridian Grand Tournament (MGT)
        • Master Wistric Oftun received the Stallion’s Blood
  • Their Excellencies
    • Red Tower is coming up! Come out! Have fun!
      Help out!

      • Justina will be teaching a class with Their Excellencies on how to be a courtier – this will be a great class for newcomers!
    • Castle Wars is coming up! If you haven’t written an award recommendation for someone in time for Red Tower and are thinking of doing so, do it now so it can be considered in time for Castle Wars. Their Excellencies love giving out awards!

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • Everything is going well – Lady Julianna was nervous, but she met with Her Excellency and they put together lists of things that need to be done
      • We need people for set up (Friday @ 3:00pm), and tear down (Saturday night and Sunday morning); several volunteers offered
      • Still need a volunteer as pottycrat – easier than most events, since there’s a bathhouse and cabins,just the 3 portapotties on the field. Stella volunteered.
      • Need help with site heralding – Don Scott?
      • Mattias will herald the rapier tournament – Wistric wants to find out what’s being planned
      • Do we have popup tents available for the list mistresses?
      • Mattias was had ideas about hall decorations – will try to drape it in curtains to make it look like a Roman hall, then will put the South Downs banners
      • Can we set up a lounge long enough for His Highness Tim to lounge on?
      • Lucien has sign up sheet for troll – Friday 5-Midnight, Sat 7am – 1pm. Weather permitting, troll will be at main pavilion near field instead of main hall – need to put on the Red Tower FB page
      • Mairghread asked if we have enough ropes/stakes/etc to mark off fighting fields. If not, a good option would be flour to mark off the edges of the fields
      • Juliana needs a check to get things taken care of on site; she also needs cash advance check for cash for troll.
      • Question about portapotties – would it be possible to have hand sanitizer supplied in each of them?
  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Talapoosa park, with Bryn Madoc and Depedale
    • Mattias doesn’t have much new to report
    • There was a small discussion about non-feast meals
    • Planning will get into high gear after Red Tower
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • There was a problem with site tokens that were ordered – they turned out to be way too small. Piers is sending them back, and will get refund eventually.
    • He has already found an alternative token (with help from Wistric and Iazzie). This is within the existing budget, so no vote needed
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • Alisandre still waiting to hear from Sibella to confirm site availability (University of West Georgia)

SCA Business

  • As part of what was recently donated to the Barony, we now have a wrought iron cooking tripod and 2 portable holes, and an iron rose the was donated. Could we use it as a prize at (Midwinter A+S?) cooking competition? We could also use feast gear that was donated for volunteer raffles at upcoming events
  • Ximon thanked Lorenzo and Adela on behalf of the Meridian Order of the Blad for loaning them water coolers, and Veronica for providing a scroll last minute
  • Lorenzo told a story about having a runic scroll translated at MGT

Non-SCA Business

  • Nothing new to report

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 1 November 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Looking for Demo Suggestions

From Lord Piers Simmons:

Want the Barony to host a demo? We encourage you to fill out this form with any demo suggestions you may have!

September Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

6 September 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Stunt Herald (Master Wistric Oftun) called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • We may have a new armored fighter from Trimaris
    • Practices are continuing Tuesday evenings with Owls Nest at Swift Cantrell Park, Sunday afternoons at Liane Levetan Park in Dunwoody.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evenings around 7pm. We are seeking new practice sites. Levetan Park has disabled the field lighting at our practice site, and it’s getting dark earlier. Short-term, maybe we return to Blackburn for Tuesdays? Please contact Brendan if you have a suggestion.
    • Recent past rapier stuff:
      • Elements of Adela’s Gilded Companie journeyed north, leading the Meridian Rapier Expeditionary Force—Pennsic Theater.
      • Adela’s Gilded Companie fielded three squads at Tourney of the Foxes. One of those squads, led by Master Wistric, won the 5-person melee tourney.
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • Stella got her tassel in court at Foxes
    • Royal rounds held again at practice
    • For more information about archery in Meridies, please check out their website
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • 2 personal badges for Lucien d’Artois advanced to Society level.
      • 1 name submission for Konrad Windhorn advanced to Society level.
      • 5 baronial badges submitted, items pended awaiting petition, which was subsequently provided, items to be added on a second ILOI at Kingdom
    • Court Report
      • Tourney of the Foxes:
        • Veronica da Lucca – Order of the Velvet Owl
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
    • There was a parade at DragonCon – great turnout from several kingdoms
    • Rapier fighters fought in parade
    • One heavy fighter from Calontir took part
    • Had chariot and two pullers (needed 4)
      • Duke John thanked those who helped, and reiterated that we need to have 4 people (at least) to pull
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • The August A+S class night, “Beyond Running Stitch: Hand Sewing Techniques,” was taught by Mistress Allesandra.
    • This month’s class, on “Dante’s Inferno,” will be taught by Sir Iazzie.
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Event pages have been updated
    • Live Weapons page has been added
    • Added Order of the Velvet Owl to Lady Veronica’s profile
    • Updated site with pictures from DragonCon
  • Their Excellencies
    • South Downs will host the fundraiser lunch at Crossroads;
      volunteers needed! Funds will go towards the Castle Wars discretionary fund
    • Her Excellency thanked everyone who represented her on the field at Foxes
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • DragonCon was this pas weekend – it rocked!
    • Per Lady Stella – if you are on the DragonCon Facebook group, please let us know what recommendations you may have for improvements for next year’s DragonCon

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • We have only 17 registrations so far
    • A pre-registration form and a Google doc for a signup list are in the works
    • Concerns were voiced about signage for the site, since it is relatively new – where should the signs go? Do we have enough signs?
      • Lorenzo has signs/banners from castle wars a couple of years ago that may be useful for the event site.
    • Charmone said that she has a prize that is being donated by dal raven(?) forge; needs to confirm with Tristram
    • Pietro has box of binders and clipboards that can be used for Red Tower
    • Juliana wants to create a laminated cheat sheet for all volunteer roles
    • Will there be a South Downs encampment? There are cabins and tenting available, but no specific baronial campsite.
    • Mariana discussed the menu for feast; menu will be posted both on the Facebook event site and baronial website Red Tower page
    • Need to make sure that there are volunteers to help clean up Sunday so we can all leave at a reasonable time
    • Also need volunteers to serve feast and clean up kitchen after feast
  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton
    • As soon as we have the schedule approved by the Crown,
      it will be posted
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • Need more volunteers – please see the signup sheet to see what is still needed
      • In particular,
        • Class coordinator (working with Duke Thomas)
        • Revel coordinator
        • Heralds
        • Volunteer raffle coordinator (Lady Alisandre volunteered)
        • Site herald
        • Troll
    • Piers may be facing shoulder surgery soon, may be limited mobility
    • South Downs encampment – Alisandre will set up group for encampment, and will need volunteers to take meal / clean up duty
    • Their Highnesses will camp with House Excelsior; the South Downs encampment site has been established as well; 10 people = camp
    • Landcrat – Maire?
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
    • Alisandre says well know in a couple of weeks before we can confirm site at University of West Georgia
  • Artsy Crown (25-27 May, 2018)
    • Iazzie heard promising things from previous autocrat
    • Approximately 85% done with budget

SCA Business

  • Would love to find a different meeting site – recommendations and ideas are needed! Please check with Their Excellencies if you have any suggestions
  • Iazzie is working on getting castle walls replaced and expanded
  • Ximon had offered a six-pack of beverage of choice for anyone who helped pull the chariot at DragonCon; he made good on his payment at the meeting

Non-SCA Business

  • There will be a viking festival in Roswell the same weekend as Red Tower
  • The Fernbank museum is hosting a gladiator exhibit this month

All the business issues having been addressed, the lords and ladies of the populace adjourned to vote on candidates for the Heart of South Downs and Chivalry awards for business meeting. Once the voting was held, the meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 4 October 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Troll Sign-up Red Tower 2017

Greetings from Lord Lucien d’Artois, Head Troll for Red Tower. It’s not too late to sign up to help out with troll! Please feel free to sign up for a one-hour shift. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

You can find the sign-up sheet here!

Fighter practice 9/10/2017


Photo courtesy George Hunter
More photos here.

August Baronial Business Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 August 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Annaliese Wolf – name/device at Laurel (3nd month – post-commentary)
      • Stella di Silvestri – device at Laurel (2nd month of commentary)
      • Juliane de Vivonne – badge at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Porcia Secunda – name at Laurel (1st month in commentary)
      • Lucien d’Artois – badge x2 at Kingdom
      • Konrad Windhorn – name at Kingdom
    • Court Report
      • RUM:
        • Mara Palmer – Broken Bow
        • Stella di Silvestri – Guiding Hand
      • Arabian Nights:
        • Mathias Blackett – Kingdom Bard
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • 6-8 armored fighters at Sunday practices
    • Joint fighters practice with Owls Nest continues to go well
    • We have one new youth fighter (yay!)
    • Mairghread has requested $200 for additional loaner gear
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer – THL Mathias reporting)
    • July practice hosted ~22 archers
    • Royal round was held at practice
    • Update on acquiring loaner and baronial gear: we’ve only had to buy 3 bows
    • We have two new marshals in training
    • If interested in shooting archery at foxes, please contact Mistress Mara; if you are taking part in other tournaments during the event, please be aware there’s a lot of waiting around between archery rounds
    • For more information about archery in Meridies, please check out their website
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri – His Excellency reporting)
    • Everyone is encouraged to sign up for DragonCon and take part in the parade!
    • Stella made up some baronial business cards for distribution at demos, etc., which should arrive Monday
    • We’ve had several new people come to events and practices recently
    • Stella is still looking for a deputy chatelaine, in charge of demos – if interested, please contact her
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • We have some money! yay!
    • We are spending a lot of money so we have to be careful, especially with the event season and our several events coming up this fall
    • Everything is paid up till the end of the year. With the site location changing for Castle Wars, we need to be extra careful with funds until we know more about how the change will impact the budget
    • Mara mentioned that she’s still running way below budget with archery needs.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • The July A+S class night was on making viking aprons, and taught by Lady Juliana
    • This month’s class, on how to event steward, will be presented by Mistress Jadi. She plans to set up the class as a roundtable featuring participants who have extensive experience in event stewarding from both inside and outside the barony, who can provide a variety of viewpoints and experiences on event stewarding. Ximon volunteered. This is would normally be held on the 4th Wednesday, but there are schedule conflicts, so please stay tuned.
    • This month will be our 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck – everyone is welcome!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Updated the Knight Marshal page
    • We need to add a Live Weapons Marshal page, now that we have a live weapons program
    • New profiles for Aidan MacKay, Konrad, Mairghread, and Piers have been added
    • His Excellency added the new baronial awards page to the website
    • Red Tower event page was updated
    • Castle Wars event page updated – the Castle Wars page includes a downloadable pre-registration form; it was agreed that the Red Tower page should also have a pre-reg form
    • Fighter practice page/schedule has been updated and expanded
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a barony (huzzah!)
    • Do we want to sponsor something at Meridian 40 Year? We should discuss and let Countess Thorkatla know.
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Their Excellencies
    • Their Excellencies have received several recommendations for the new baronial awards! The populace is encouraged to write more!
    • They also encourage the populace to write more recommendations for deserving gentles for all sorts of awards for upcoming events! Check the OP if you aren’t sure if someone has a particular award
    • Their Majesties are already putting the list together for Castle Wars
    • Foxes!
      • Her Excellency would love to sponsor several teams for the tournaments at Foxes – rapier, armored, and archery (team names: Adela’s Special Snowflakes? unless there’s only one team in a particular tournament, then they’ll become The Snowflakes?).
      • Her Excellency will be working on new tokens this weekend – everyone is invited to help (silk banner painting practice!)
      • There should be several rapier and armored teams – yay!

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • Lady Emmelina created a lovely flyer for the event – look for it in the upcoming kingdom newsletter
    • A pre-registration form and a Google doc for a signup list are in the works
    • Site visit planned for tomorrow (3 August)
    • Volunteers needed:
      • Herald(s)
      • Head troll
      • Pottycrat
      • Royal liaison
      • 2 list mistresses
        • (updates)Rapier covered per wistric
        • Serafina will do armored list
      • Hall steward (Mathias volunteers)
      • Children’s activities?
      • Travelers’ fare
      • Cleanup Royal site Sunday
    • Owl’s Nest is taking care fundraiser lunch; we will do fundraiser lunch @ Crossroads
    • Feast – THL Mariana is working on recipes, menu will be pinned down this weekend
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • Flyer should be ready this weekend for submission to PopChiv
    • Most staff taking care of, just needs landcrat and heralds
    • Site map has been sent to Their Majesties so we can determine where they want their camp to be
    • Need donations for volunteer raffle
    • Lucien needs volunteers for troll
    • Maire said we need heaters and lights for troll
  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton
    • Portapotties reserved
    • Event flyer about to go out
    • Everything is going smoothly
    • We (South Downs) will be the ones handling insurance
      • Maire mentioned that insurance for a group is taken care of for the first event of the year that group does

SCA Business

  • Mathias said there had been mention of 5th Wednesday in-garb potluck including some SCA dancing or bardic performances. He would be interested in getting some people together to do some commedia?
  • Ximon needs to talk with the reeve to get the check to cover the loaner rapier armor we bought from Tina (and the youth combat helm)
  • Sir Iazzie: The castle walls need repair/replacement (“rapier uses the walls, armored abuses the walls”).
    • Wants to talk to Sebastionnos about repairing/building a new wall and see how much it would cost.
    • We also need a gate of our own; with a second gate and repaired walls, we could do 2 castles for fighting scenarios.
    • Repairs very important, but we really do need *additional* wall pieces.
    • Hopefully we can store the walls and gates at the Shrine – currently they’re at His Highness’.
    • Can we get together with Tir Briste to help out with walls?
    • Fundraising idea – donate X$ to wall, maybe get your device on a wall? :-)
  • His Excellency is going to test out new rope and stake wall for meridies royal encampment at pennsic
  • Lucien reminded everyone about the 2nd mini business meeting, possibly starting in August to help keep track of upcoming events (thru Midwinter A+S), to take place 3rd Wednesday of each month
  • After tonight’s meeting, we will meet for Baronial Chivarly / Heart of South Downs awards

Non-SCA Business

  • Lady Juliana suggests parking ideas for DragonCon. Parking Panda allows you to buy reserved parking spaces for much cheaper than public parking.
  • Other parking ideas;
    • Parking at the Cathedral for $20/day
    • Buy a monthly pass at the International Center parking garage for $120; pass is good for a full month, so if you need to park downtown at other times during September, it can be a good deal.

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 September 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

Dragoncon 2017


SCA members preparing for the Dragoncon parade
Photo courtesy Lady Stella di Silvestri

Live Weapons Practices are now a Thing

Through the tireless efforts of our newly appointed Live Weapons Marshal, Mistress Mara Palmer, we are now holding regular Live Weapons/Archery practices jointly with the Shire of Owl’s Nest!

Practices are being held at 10am at 2140 Sugar Creek Dr, Marietta, GA 30064 on the following days:

Sunday, September 17, 2017
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Sunday, November 5, 2017
Sunday, December 17, 2017

For more details, please check out the South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice Facebook group.

Tourney of the Foxes 2017

170826 Adela's Gilded Company The Barony had a strong showing at the Tourney of the Foxes melee tournaments this year, fielding one armored fighting team, three rapier teams and an archery team. Adela’s Gilded Company 3 was victorious in the rapier melee tournament, and the armored and archery teams had a strong showing. All our combatants fought valiantly in the name of Baroness Adela.
Adela’s Gilded Company, Rapier Edition Photo by Mistress Sunneva de Cleia.

July Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

5 July 2017, 7:30pm

Atlanta Friends Meeting House

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter (mka Helena Bretherton Hay), South Downs Chronicler.

Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. THL Mathias is tonight’s stunt seneschal.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • Approximately 10 people showed up at the first practice
    • Lots of gear is arriving at Mara’s house, ready to sort/prep. She reports that we are still way under budget, so she’ll continue to order things :-)
    • Next archery practice will be co-hosted with Owls Nest on 23 July (the same weekend as Arabian Nights)
    • Ximon is working on prizes for first archery tourney – breakdown banner pole, banner, etc.
  • Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
    • Submissions
      • Annaliese Wolf – name/device at Laurel (2nd month of commentary)
      • Stella di Silvestri – device at Laurel (1st month of commentary)
      • Juliane de Vivonne – badge at Kingdom (in commentary)
      • Porcia Secunda – name at Kingdom (in commentary)
      • Lucien d’Artois – badge x2 submitted to kingdom
      • Conrad Windhorn – name submitted to kingdom
    • Court Report
      • None
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
    • The June A+S class was on Commedia del Arte, and taught by THL Mathias
    • This month’s class night will be on viking aprons, and taught by Beteena
    • The August class will be Mistress Jadi’s autocratting roundtable, featuring experienced event stewards / autocrats from both within and without our Barony. She expects the speakers will provide a range of viewpoints and experiences about stewarding events. Master Ximon volunteered to take part. However, it still needs to be scheduled, as she will be out of town for the usual class night in August. We may switch August class night with another meeting night (perhaps project night) to accommodate. Stay tuned!
  • Youth Armored Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
    • We have a new youth fighter (huzzah!)
    • The youth practice scheduled for this Sunday will move to Bryn Madoc, to join the regional event honoring (and surprising!) Duke Orlando as he marks his 40th anniversary of his knighthood.
  • Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
    • (Lady Mairghread reporting) Mairgread will step up as marshal and Robert steps down to deputy, due to work issues. Asked for approval – stunt seneschal says “uh, yeah, dude.”
    • Tuesday heavy practice – considering combining South Downs armored practice with Owls Nest to boost numbers for each side? Good to support our neighbors :-)
    • With Lord Robert stepping down, the question arose if Mairghread will MiC Red Tower? She’ll consult with Robert and other interested parties and get things sorted out
    • Mairghread will need to get the loaner gear from Robert, especially for Sunday’s practice. Still need loaner gear – His Excellency points out that we do have funds for gear :-)
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Thanked everyone who’s been able to step up and cover marshaling responsibilities at practices when he’s been unable to attend
    • We are also looking at combining rapier practices with our brethren in Owls Nest – scheduling around traffic on Tuesday evenings is rather difficult, but we are looking at options
    • Brendan announced that Lord Piers will step up as deputy rapier marshal. The nomination went to the populace for approval; Lucien objected (then everyone started laughing). Deputy rapier marshal approved.
  • Their Excellencies
    • Encourage everyone to attend the fighter practice this Sunday in Bryn Madoc
    • Also encourage everyone to attend Tourney of the Foxes, hosted by the Shire of Vulpine Reach (25-27 August, at Harrison Bay State Park in Chattanooga). Event info here: Tourney of the Foxes.
      • Her Excellency is interested in sponsoring teams on the armored, rapier, and live weapons/archery fields, and is already for her representatives on the field. She will provide tokens, so come out and fight for the honor of your Barony!
    • Baronial Awards
      • At the last business meeting, discussions began about new awards.
      • Lucien said that at KWHSS, discussion of order names suggests that our names may not pass, since they do not follow standard structure
        • Flannait had an article about medieval order names that she presented at a class
        • Two things usually are included: every order name needs to have a designator and a substantive element that matches the way orders were named in period
        • Order of *heraldic charge” or *heraldic color” or order of two heraldic charges, etc. or abstract quality or virtue
        • We need to back to the drawing board on names, but the badges should be fine – have already been conflict checked (to date)
        • Duke John wanted to know why we’re getting pushback on the order names – no one cared for ages about what names were made up, so why suddenly now?
        • It was suggested that we should register the badges for now; names can be done at a later time (if at all), since these are non-armigerous so it’s not as important to register the names
  • Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
    • Lady Stella is in Korea, so did not get to submit a report? His Excellency stepped in to improv:
      • Korea is awesome!
      • She is still looking for 2 deputies
      • Lorenzo helped recruit new people at Mistress Allesandra’s 4th of july shindig. Recruit new people! please :-)
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • Placeholder page now exists for Fall Crown List (we are co-hosting with Depedale and Bryn Madoc)
  • Reeve (THL Maire)
    • Not present at meeting, but Their Excellencies confirmed that we still have money! huzzah!

Upcoming Events

  • Fall Crown List (10-12 November 2017)
    • Co-hosting with the shire of Depedale and the Barony of Bryn Madoc
    • Will take place at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton
    • Kynric is co-autocrat
    • Illy Brownlee is feastcrat
    • Lady Alisandre is merchantcrat
  • Fighters’ Collegium (1-3 September 2017)
    • Yes, it’s happening! There had been questions about whether the new Kingdom Law regarding scheduling Fighters’ Collegium with RUM starts in 2017 or 2018, but it remains an independent event for 2017.
    • Being held at Dalwhinnie Fields near Selma, AL (site of this year’s Black Axe).
  • Red Tower (30 September – 2 October 2017)
    • Nothing to report
    • Everything going smoothly, visited the site and met with the portapotty people and the park staff.
  • Castle Wars (17 – 19 November 2017)
    • Flyer in progress, should be ready in a week or two
    • Still need volunteers – please contact Lord Piers or Sir Iazzie
    • Equestrian people have found their own water buffalo, so we now have an extra $500 in the budget
    • Is there a site token plan?

Event Bids

  • Fall Crown (10-12 November 2017)
    • Bid has been submitted, waiting to hear from Crown.
  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences 2018 (2-4 February 2018)
    • Lady Alisandre is working on a bid

Other SCA Business

  • DragonCon
    • We are all set for the parade (40 wrist bands) if you know anyone coming from other kingdoms, let us know so we can make arrangements
    • Master Ximon has news about the chariot. He posted on fb group the other day about chariot situation, offering to help compensate anyone who wants to pull the chariot (6 pack of your choice). If you’re planning on attending DragonCon, marching in the Parade, are strong, and thirsty, talk to Ximon or Stella
    • John wants to get in touch with Crafty Celt – he had mentioned that he was interested in riding in the chariot, but we’d then need 4 at a time to pull it
    • Last year, we had a situation with the chariot b/c people were using it to store things during the parade and then left those things behind. Please don’t bring anything to the parade you can’t/wont carry during the parade.
    • Rhi mentioned that the Netherworld people have their own plan at the end of the parade to make it easier to deal with all the stuff. It was suggested that there is already a plan – just need to minimize extra stuff and meet with chariot to help put stuff away. As long as we do that, we should be fine.
  • South Downs Supper Club
    • We want to bring it back! What is the South Downs Supper Club? A volunteer hosts the dinner, a group of people cook period recipes (usually with a common theme), other people donate $, everyone eats :-)
    • For more information, check out the South Downs Supper club group on Facebook
  • Tina has a piece of female rapier armor that is now looking for a good home. She’s offering to sell it to the Barony for $50 to use it as loaner gear. Vote request to approve funds. Stunt seneschal says “yeah, sure dude.” Motion passes.
  • Ximon asked if anyone would be interested in his teaching a class on how to build a breakdown banner pole? Everyone said YAAAASSSS
  • Lucien needs a check for $50 to register badges. Vote seconded and approved
  • Mathias said there had been mention of including bardic performances or SCA dancing during our Fifth Wednesday potluck. He is interested in getting some people together to do some commedia at a future Fifth Wednesday. If interested, please contact him.
  • Lucien reminded everyone about the 2nd mini business meeting, possibly to start in August to help keep track of upcoming events (thru Midwinter A+S in February)

Non-SCA Business

  • THL Andreva brought cake in honor of her birthday (chocolate and stout cake – it was delicious!)

All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.

Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 August 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.

–Raven

 Page 3 of 12 « 1  2  3  4  5 » ...  Last »