02 September 2020, 1931
Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.
THL Lucien d’Artois called the July meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.
Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- Two new award recipients at the last court, Lilly and Aelfric..
Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
- Quarterly reports have been done.
- Zero practices. And we will continue to not have practices until the end of January.
Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)
- Nothing new.
Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)
- Nothing new to report
- Nothing new to report
Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- We have stuff.
Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz), Finnvarr mac Branain reporting
- One person has expressed interest. I will be reaching out to the MoC because she has a small child.
Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)
- Nothing new to report.
Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)
- We have A&S
- We had people that entered into the largess challenge for Foxes.
- There will be a barony Largess challenge coming up
- There are classes coming up this month,
- We have a DEI class this month
- Our monthly class is Magic and Superstition.
Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)
- First issue of the newsletter will be 1 October.
- I am still looking for articles to be included.
- Barony decals are still available. Please support the barony, they are only $5 each!
Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys)
- We have interest in Social Media.
- We are going to change the approval process for FB.
Webminister (Captain Pietro di Conti)
- Received request from Lord Freybjorn (a Kingdom Webminister Deputy) for officer information to set up email addresses on a new kingdom email server; he has asked for Seneschal to be single point-of-contact. Kingdom Webminister’s office has indicated they will eventually want all officer emails to be on their server. Freybjorn has followed up by sending meridies.org login information to seneschal. He is providing email accounts for officers but not deputies. These will be email accounts, not email forwarders to personal accounts.
- All officers will have a new email address that they will need to check as the emails will not be forwarded to personal emails.
- This is to keep the historical documents available for officers that follow the current officers.
- Sent quarterly report to kingdom webminister.
- Added a new profile page and award for Lily of South Downs.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)
- Not much to report
- We did a class last month with the corporate DEI officer. It went well.
- We would like to see new people come in.
Her Excellency, (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
- Wistric is back as the Baron of South Downs!
- We want to thank everyone for their support and patience.
- We are committed in moving forward with the SCA Core Values.
- Passions are high online, but the barony has been amazing at conducting themselves.
- Please remember these de-escalation techniques:
- As questions
- Practice radical acceptance of other people’s feelings
- Think about separating the action from the person.
- Keep up with the radical accountability!
His Excellency, (Master Wistric Oftun)
- I have always thought of the barony as my people.
- You all have made us proud these last few months.
- THank you to everyone that has been participating in the virtual activities.
- It’s good to be back!
Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)
- Nothing to report.
Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)
- There are still things going on, even in these unprecedented times
- I have a deputy! His name is Nikolslov!
- I still don’t have a provost. It’s a great way to dip your toe into becoming an officer. Please contact me if you’re interested.
- There are two things I want to run. I want to start making announcements within the next week and a half.
- South Downs is the innovative barony.
- Start thinking about Midwinter and if we want to do it online. I want this event to stand out.
- I am really proud of everyone!
- 15 August 2020 – Virtual Meridies Kingdom A&S
- 22 August 2020 – Foxes 2020: Plague-Con
- 26 September 2020 – DEI Topic Focus: Disabilities and The SCA
- Raven: Back on the 15th of August, we had Artsy Crown. Several people from South Downs assisted. It went really well. We had 6 or 7 classes. Everything was zoom meetings. We had a really good turnout. Stella earned a perfect score and was recognized in Court.
- Lily: I was wondering about the DEI office. Is it structured like the other offices? Is there a future plan?
- Margavati: Right now, there isn’t. My thinking is that there would be some kind of change over the office. There are a lot of enthusiastic people in the barony that I think would do well in the position. If you’re interested, please message me.
- Juliane: The way it works is there’s usually a two year tenure. Except in extenuating circumstances. Generally speaking, it’s a two year gig. When you sign up as a deputy, please remember that you are making that commitment for two years.
- Margavati: Regardless, I could still use functionally deputies. I welcome the assistance. This is a new thing for local groups. I welcome all ideas. I’m really here to help educate people and advise the barony as a group.
- Juliane: there was a misunderstanding on what the kingdom DEI office does. Please come to me if you have any questions.
- Kalbardr: We are in week one of the mystery box phase. If you have one, please take a photo of your box and send it to me.
- Lyk: I would like to see event tokens for Castle Wars. Juliane agreed.
- Margavati: I am purely tech support for a Grave finds video thing. If you want to, it’s basically you would have everything around you that would be taking with you to the afterlife. The deadline is September 18.
- There was the suggestion for putting a trigger warning on the video since some people have lost loved ones during this pandemic.