South Downs Baronial Business Meeting
4 September 2019, 7:30pm
Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.
THL Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Mark de Wytteney, sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”
Mark also announced that we have a lot of business to cover tonight, including the South Downs baronial awards nominations and voting, and Red Tower.
- Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- No report submitted (yet)
- Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
- Mairghread announced that her marshal warrant has been renewed for another two years.
- At Foxes, we will have an all-women armored team, and are looking to field a second team for the Barony. Rapier will also be fighting for Her Excellency at Foxes.
- The Shire of Owl’s Nest will no longer host a Tuesday practice after Castle Wars, so we may move our own Tuesday night practice back to Brook Run Park in Dunwoody.
- Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
- Ben has been absent lately and thanked all who helped cover “his slack butt”
- Practices are continuing at Brook Run Park on Tuesday nights and Sunday afternoon, and as Lady Mairghread mentioned, it looks like armored practice will join us again on Tuesdays later in the fall
- THL Piers will be coordinating rapier teams for Foxes
- Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
- Mistress Mara has been trying to get a team together for Foxes, but has not yet been successful and now she won’t be able to attend anyway
- Practices for the next several months have been scheduled and are posted on the South Downs and Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Facebook group. Current averages for Royal Rounds and tassels can also be found here.
- Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
- We totally rocked DragonCon (yay!)
- Because we didn’t have a booth this year, we were able to focus our efforts on the panels we worked on – everyone thought that worked really well
- Already thinking about next year’s DragonCon – she would like to coordinate efforts with the middle ages historical panels, and has been brainstorming on class ideas.
- The organizers have asked for the “darker part of history” (pre-1800s)
- If you are interested in taking part, please contact Justina
- Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)
- Bú has put in a request for the Barony to have a booth at the upcoming Maker Faire
- She was looking at a possible demo at next year’s Decatur Book Festival, but it is the same weekend as DragonCon, so there’s not much interest (since most will be at DragonCon). May revisit later in the year as everyone’s DragonCon plans shape up (or not)
- We totally rocked DragonCon (yay!)
- Arts & Sciences (Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle)
- We have A&S in the Barony, and it is good! Yay!
- Labyrinth Challenge at Red Tower – to clarify, this is for fun, it is not a judged or regional A&S faire. Take the image of the labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral and create something inspired by it. It can be anything (bake a pie, for example!), Innovation and creativity are key! Her Excellency finds the labyrinth inspiring.
- Thanks to the response from the populace, Baronial Arts & Sciences classes are nearly completely scheduled for 2019, but there’s still opportunities to share you knowledge! If you are interested in teaching a class, please fill out the form or contact Alisandre directly.
- Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
- We have money! yay!
- Nothing else to report.
- Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- We have stuff! Yay!
- Webminister (Captain Pietro di Conti)
- We have a website!
- Posted 15th Century dinner pictures, mask decorating pictures, block printing pictures
- Set up web site logins for Alisandre (A&S) and Emelina (Social Media)
- Updated Red Tower event page with latest info:
- event flyer
- site rules
- instructor signup
- feast menu
- A&S competition
- Updated Castle Wars event page with latest info:
- staff list
- feast menu
- New pages for:
- Lady Aelia Bassina of Veii
- Lady Isabella Parr
- Updated pages for:
- THL Isabetta de San Marco
- Lord Jürgen der Vielfrass
- Updated awards for:
- Lady Agnes Halydaye
- Lady Justina di Silvestri
- Lord Nikon Dawidowicz
- Master Ximon Martillo de Córdoba
- THL Mark de Wytteney
- Baroness Rhonwyn Alyna nic an Chrosain
- Moved the lists of Heart of South Downs and South Downs Chivalry recipients to their own pages
- Updated site and all plugins and themes to WordPress 5.2.2.
- Minister of Children (Lady Melusine of South Downs, THL Mark de Wytteney reporting)
- We have kids! Yay!
- Keeper of the Baronial Memes (Social Media Minister) (THL Emelina le Nourreys)
- Baronial Instagram has 17 followers
- Thanked Her Excellency, Captain Brendan, and a bunch of others
- Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter, Captain Brendan de Hay reporting)
- Nothing to report
- Seneschal (THL Mark de Wytteney)
- Reminded everyone to please sign in if they hadn’t done so already.
- Their Excellencies, Master Wistric and Mistress Sunneva
- We still have a baby! yay!
- Fielding teams at Foxes for Her Excellency! Yay! If you want to be on a team, let the relevant marshal know and they can set you up!
- Awards voting tonight – description for how things will be run at the end of the meeting
- Will ask each group to define itself going forward – what virtues, qualities do we want to focus on for each award? How do we want to see this going forward? Start a conversation 🙂
- Award recommendations – send them in, please! We have events (yay!) and we love to give out awards. Hit them up or fill out the award form on the seneschal page. They keep all the recommendations they receive
- DragonCon is 12 months away – we need someone to organize the parade. Will discuss after Castle Wars
- The baronial bebbeh loves bananas, his toes, and falling on his face.
- Red Tower (4-6 October, 2019)
- Need volunteers, like yesterday!
- Mistress Allesandra is putting a signup sheet on the troll page
- Need someone to sponsor a fundraiser lunch – if no one, then it will be a BYO picnic lunch. Should we reach out to other groups to see if anyone would like to do it?
- Need a herald – Master Mathias said “sure!”
- We’re going to have another project night (masks, tokens!)
- We will have a scavenger hunt with little dolls wearing Toby clothes hidden around the site. The fate of the baronial babe is in the populace’s hands (!!!) Votes will be determined by those who earn marbles via the various activities throughout the event. HOW MANY MARBLES?
- There are glass beads/tokens at the storage unit, but they are not clear, which is what Justina wants for aesthetics. THL Lucien offered to paint them clear :-D.
- It was suggested that you can get a large bag of glass marbles at the dollar store
- Need people to teach classes! We currently have no one teaching classes. Lorenzo is writing up a class that he wants to teach at Red Tower, regarding codpieces
- Armored tournament- championship is a bear pit. AMiC will be someone from Owl’s Nest
- Bryn Madoc is managing the live weapons activities at Red Tower
- Castle Wars (21-24 November 2019)
- Still looking for some volunteers
- PayPal opens this Friday
- Feast – above the salt feast has 24 seats, below has 75?
- Working on getting the insurance set up
- Possible golf cart for facilitating parking?
- THL Juliane – will start hyping the event on Friday;
She is working with Garrett to see what options we have for siege weapons, if it’s at all possible
- Can we get Mike Moulton’s boom stick display if the BSA will allow it
- Ben clarified the new BSA rules – only impacts things that scouts themselves can take part in
- We know that archery and live weapons are good, since we have the same contract as we did for Coronation
- We don’t want to scare the site off
- Master Lorenzo – are we doing a baronial camp, and if so, has anyone considered coordinating it? Everyone looked at THL Stella
- Encampment will be the same as at Fools War, near troll
- Still looking for some volunteers
- Midwinter Arts &Sciences (1 February 2020)
- Lady Raven is contemplating submitting a bid, but needs to find a site (will work with Master Ximon?)
Other SCA Business
- Mara – is archery marshal for Crossroads in 2 weeks. It will be fun!
- Also at Crossroads – Lorenzo will be hosting a little shindig at the front porch of his pavilion to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his Laurelling
- Fall Coronation – there is going to be another scribal challenge, and there will also be a naughty challenge sponsored by the courtesans, with naughty goodies as the prize! And Fame! Glory! (Not much fortune, though)
- There will also be a middle eastern contest at Coronation
- Andreva is going to be performing with her vocal ensemble – tickets are $10! Come support her group
- Makers – starting a woodworking meetup on 9/20 at 7pm in Decatur
- Mathias – if you went to DragonCon, Viking Alchemist is offering 10% discount in September with your badge
- Possible special DragonCon brew for next year? Yay!
Business meeting is closed; voting for Heart of South Downs and Chivalry awards will now take place.
Next business meeting will be held Wednesday, 2 October 2019, at the Doraville Civic Center.