South Downs Baronial Business Meeting
5 April 2017, 7:30pm
Atlanta Friends Meeting House
Notes submitted by Lord Brendan de Hay (mka Ben Hay), South Downs Stunt Chronicler.
Lord Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Master Wistric, warming up to take over as Seneschal, chaired the meeting.
- Herald (Lord Lucien d’Artois)
- Talmere’s Lusty Month of May will be hosting this year’s Meridian Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, so come on out! (13 May, Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Family Group Shelter
- Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
- Lord Brendan reporting on behalf of Lady Raven – nothing to report
- Armored Marshal (Lord Robert Throckmorton)
- Deputy marshal Lady Mairghread reporting on behalf of Lord Robert
- We need to make sure people are aware of new location (Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park, 4770 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338)
- Let Robert know about anything else needed…
- Wistric points out that Owls nest is looking for folks to help with a demo, the Medieval and Renaissance Faire at Swift Cantrell Park on April 29
- Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
- New practice location! Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody
- It’s time for the annual gathering of superfluous information to feed this year’s quarterly reports. Watch for update requests.
- Webminister (Master Wistric Oftun)
- Deputy Webminister (Lord Pietro) has updated page, including a Dramatis Personae page listing members of the Barony and their interests / skills
- Please submit profile updates using the form on the website
- Stunt Chronicler’s note: Pietro has done some really good work on content. Everyone should check out atlantasca.org!
- Arts & Sciences (Lady Veronica da Lucca)
- Lord Camulocaros taught a class on the history of beer last month
- The topic of this month’s class will be blending and shading (painted elements in your illuminations), taught by Lady Veronica; she will teach teach this at Fools War as well
- Please send Lady Veronica info for quarterly report; paper being passed as well
- Chatelaine (Lady Stella di Silvestri)
- We welcomed new (and newish) folks – Nick, Jessica, and Conrad
- Their Excellencies
- Fools War is coming!
- Lady Alisandre is coordinating the South Downs camp at Fools War, period tents will be placed toward field side, and modern tents by road ( we have 3 lots)
- If you are eating with group, please post on Facebook tonight, so she can plan the menu
- Knowne Worlde Heraldic and Scribal Symposium is coming!
- 23-25 June 2017, in Knoxville, TN; hosted by Nant-y-Derwyddon. For more information, go to their: website
- Come on out and support Meridies!
- Castle Wars Discretionary fund – Owls Nest is looking for someone to host a fundraiser lunch at Crossroads (16 September 2017). This would be a good opportunity to increase the budget for the Castle Wars revel fund
- Congratulations to Pietro and Mairghread, the new Baronial rapier and armored champions! They both fought well and honorably!
- Their Majesties Meridies have announced a new program – the Youth and Family Achievement program, the goal of which will encourage families and children to get involved in the arts and sciences. Volunteers are needed – share your knowledge and skill with the youth of Meridies!
- Fools War is coming!
Event Bids for 2017
- Red Tower (6-8 October 2017)
- Lady Giuliana (w/ assistance from Mistress Adela), will autocrat
- Event will be held at Booker T. Washington Park in Chattanooga
- We will rent the group camp, which includes the hall in rental fee, cabin space, and camping
- Will survey site at Artsy Crown
- There is a bath house at the site, so there will not be any need for portapotties
- We may lose some attendees from the south, due to the additional travel distance; however, as Bacon Bash does not conflict this year, we may draw additional attendees from the northern parts of the kingdom
- Break-even at 270 people
- Expected fees
- Daytrip – $7 preregister, $10 at gate, camping $10-/-$13
- Feast $8/head
- 104 paid feast spots (+16 high table) available
- At least 80 beds (cabin?) available
- Need rapier marshal (Master Wistric volunteers)
- Theme is Roman
- Need lunch, breakfast people (fundraiser?)
- Castle Wars (16-19 November 2017)
- Lord Piers will autocrat, with assistance from Sir Iastreb (If Yazzie wins Crown, Mistress Liz will step in to assist)
- As discussed in previous meetings, site will be the Al Sihah Shrine in Macon
- Site fees:
- Total cost $7,024
- $20 onsite, $18 pre-reg
- Feast — $10/head; Lady Mairghread will feastcrat
- Travelers’ fare and breakfast will not be offered
- Will plan to have a fundraiser lunch available for hosting
- Break-even is 250 weekenders, 125 day trips, 96 feasts (8-16 for high table)
- We are expecting more attendees than last year (2016 had 600 adult attendees)
- MoB invitational tourney could be a big draw for rapier fighters.
KLE (Kingdom-Level Event) Bids
- Due to recent changes in kingdom law, we will not be able to bid on Fighters’ Collegium; we need to find another event to bid on
- South Downs and Bryn Madoc both need an event to bid on
- Joint bid with Bryn Madoc, Depedale, and South Downs on Fall Crown
- Potential site for Fall Crown – McIntosh is current likely site
- Even split on costs & profit
- Complication – Fall Crown is scheduled the weekend before Castle Wars
- Bryn Madoc and Depedale both have people available
- Matthias will begin the bid process, and cancel the Tallapoosa reservation
Other Upcoming Bids
- Midwinter Arts + Sciences (2-4 February 2018)
- We need a bid
- Closer than you think (1-4 September 2017)
- His Excellency & Master Wistric were discussing whether the table is worth the effort
- It’s a burden on Their Excellencies and the Chatelaine
- Has there been a return on the investment?—NO TABLE
- Parade is still important
- Duke John suggested that a demo would be better / more fun than a table
- Talk to Bam, Keith, etc. to find out who we contact about a demo room? Ximon will take point on querying that
- Chariot needs humans, and may have an extra passenger (Vortigern), so more “horses!”
- Finance committee pre-approved event bids, so voting on bids?
- Red Tower—Passed
- Castle Wars – Passed
- Museum Replicas sale is coming up – likely 20 May
All the business issues having been addressed, the business meeting was closed.
Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 3 May 2017, at the Atlanta Friends Meeting House.