South Downs Baronial Business Meeting
1 August 2018, 7:30pm (meeting started a few minutes late, in order to give everyone a chance to fight through traffic and storms)
Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.
Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”
- Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- Events – RUM
- Lady Justina di Silvestri – Guiding Hand
- Submissions registered at LOAR
- Lady Juliane de Vivonne – badge
- Master Mathias Blackett and Mistress Mara Palmer – joint badge; household name was returned
- Ruqayah al-Zarqa – device change
- Submissions at Society (for August decision meeting)
- Jurgen der Vielfrass – name and device
- Quintus Valerius Gracchus – name and device
- Submissions at Society (for September decision meeting)
- Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle – device
- Lady Myndee of of South Downs – name and device
- Nikon Dawidowicz – name and device
- Lord Mark de Wyttenye – alternate name and device
- Lady Stella di Silvestri – alternate name and badge
- Advanced to Society (for October decision meeting)
- THL Andreva Rigaldi – name
- Margot de Saint Denis – device
- Submitted to Kingdom (for August Kingdom decision meeting)
- Tryggvi Tryggsson – name
- Frigyth of South Downs – name and device
- Events – RUM
- Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
- This month’s melee practice will coincide with Lord Konrad’s regional practice
- Got the background check cleared, so she can start authorizing youth fighters
- Will step up as kingdom youth rapier marshal soon, probably at Foxes
- Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
- Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm, at Liane Levetan / Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
- Brendan thanked all those who stepped up to run practices when he (Brendan) had work conflicts.
- Reminder: Lord Konrad will be hosting a regional rapier practice at his home in Jasper. Facebook link to the event is here.
- Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
- The July practice went well – practices continue to average about 10 people per practice, with 5-8 people on a line at a time
- This Sunday (5 August) will be the August live weapons practice
- Mistress Mara is the new South Downs Live Weapons Champion
- Please check the Facebook group, South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice to track upcoming practices.
- Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
- No report
- If you have borrowed any Gold Key, please return to Justina as soon as possible. Thanks!
- Gold Key database is now available
- Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
- We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
- Katerina taught last month’s class on the new PayPal system for reservations.
- Lady Zhelana will teach this month’s class on celtic knotwork
- Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
- Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
- We have money! Yay!
- Nothing new to report
- Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
- We have stuff! Yay!
- Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
- We have a website!
- Updated Red Tower event page with official graphics and staff list
- Added Gold Key database to Chatelaine page
- Added Known World Courtesans podcast to Justina’s profile
- Added “Refund Policy” to events, as requested by Reeve
- Added profile page for Wenyeva atte Grene
- Updated awards fro Justina, Mark, and Melusine
- Added Wine Brawl and Fall Coronation to Events list
- Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
- Nothing to report
- Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
- The men and women of the Barony will meet separately after the business meeting to discuss nominations for the Heart of South Downs and the Chivalry award (respectively)
- Their Excellencies
- We have a barony! Yay!
- We (and several other members of the Barony) are getting ready to head to Pennsic, so we have nothing much else to report
- Red Tower (5-7 October 2018), Master Wistric reporting
- PayPal is now up and running
- Mara thanked everyone who donated cardboard sheets for archery targets
- Andreva is taking checks for registration, and pointed out that attendees will need to pay the $5 site/park fee, and it will need to be paid at the door since PayPal is (not yet) set up to process the park fee
- DragonCon (30 August – 3 September 2018)
- People are needed to pull the chariot – Ximon’s offer/bribe still stands (a six-pack of frosted adult (or all-ages) beverage of one’s choice)
- Duke John described the setup for pulling the chariot, will ideally need 4 people (is set up to do so)
- Took count of who is planning to take part in the parade and doing what
- Lady Stella is the point person to get parade passes (passes will be handed out on Friday of DragonCon)
- Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018), Lady Juliane reporting
- Mistress Sibella is creating the site tokens, will probably schedule a project night to sew them together
- Paypal will be up once the event flyer is approved and paperwork is done – likely within a week or two
- Site deposit is already in for Castle Wars 2019
- Midwinter A+S (9 February 2019), Lady Alisandre reporting
- Alisandre talked with Sibella about securing the University of West Georgia site – their class scheduling system has apparently gone south, but this shouldn’t interfere with finalizing the site reservation by 1 October
Other SCA Business
- The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild podcast is live, baby! Justina is one of the podcast’s field reporters. She said they are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!
- Ideas for next year’s baronial bid for a kingdom-level event – perhaps RUM/Fighters’ Collegium at University of West Georgia? Coronation (although this would depend on who wins Crown)?
- Mara expressed interest in autocratting RUM/Fighters’ Collegium
- Sir Iazzie is planning to sponsor a Rose-themed armored tournament at Crossroads – perhaps a similar tournament could be done for the rapier lyst as well?
Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 September 2018, at Little Tree Art Studios.