South Downs Baronial Business Mini-Meeting, updates to upcoming events
16 January 2019, 7:30pm
Doraville Civic Center – 3744 Central Ave., Doraville GA
Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.
THL Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”
Midwinter Arts & Sciences Update – 9 February 2019
- Lady Alisandre needs a set up crew at 7:00 the morning of the event
- She is also still looking for someone to sponsor the fundraiser lunch
- HRM (Her Royal Majesty Gwenwhyfar) mentioned that there is a group at Gulf Wars who is looking to raise funds – could be a good cause/sponsor for the fundraiser lunch
- HRM also mentioned that she is looking for children to serve as entourage for TRMs
- Troll signup sheets will be available soon – six volunteers are needed
- Lady Raven will be doing the site booklets
- Classes are coming along, but Mistress Sunneva mentioned that it’s not too late to submit course proposals
- Supporting events on Sunday (10 February)
- Regional fighter practice: the pavilion at Brook Run Park is not available due to costs, but we received confirmation from the park manager that we can set up a grill on the concrete pad at the practice site, so a cookout is still possible
- A Sari Safari is in the works – stay tuned! For more information, please contact Mistress Margavati
Coronation – 5-7 April
- At TRHs’ (Their Royal Highnesses Sebastiannos and Morgan) request, the Barony has put together an event bid, with THL Juliane as autocrat
- The bid is set up differently than most bids, due to the site – the site cost is per head, so we can’t really calculate a break-even the way we usually would Rough estimate to break even is 40 weekend attendees and 150 daytrip attendees
- Site fees:
- Adult non-members weekend: $22 (with $5 discount for SCA members)
- Adult non-members daytrip: $17 (with $5 discount for SCA members)
- Feast (pre-registration only): $8
- Proposed site is Camp Benjamin Hawkins in Byron, GA (just south of Macon); this will be the same site as Fools’ War, but two weeks prior
- If we meet the projected numbers of attendees, we will gross $4,000
- Bonus: most of the usual site costs such as port-a-potties, treating the site for fire ants, etc., are already included in the site fee
- We are hoping that there will be children’s activities at Coronation – stay tuned!
- HRM mentioned that the mundane laws require 1 adult with a current background check per 10 kids, which is very different than we had previously been told by Kingdom. HRM is looking into the process and is encouraging having more people get background checks processed, as it will make children’s activities easier to manage at events.
- Motion to vote on bid, seconded and approved. Juliane will move forward with submitting the bid
Next business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 February 2019, at the Doraville Civic Center.