June 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

02 June 2021, Time: 1940

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the May meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich , greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • Reminder to check official emails
  • Went over the Society Covid Reopening plan update. Please check the full text of the update on the SCA web page or Facebook group. 
  • Discussed Red Tower and Castle War Bids. Please send bids asap for Red Tower

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • We have heraldry going on.
  • No one has contacted me for anything new.
  • If you’re interested, hit me up.
  • If you would like to learn something about heraldry, please let me know.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • 2 June 2021 – Crown List in Hartsell, AL
    • 15 total competitors
    • 2 competitors will be representing South Downs, Sir Iastreb & myself
  • Created zip code boundary map and overlapping counties for South Downs to better help with COVID tracking for the Barony
    • Currently 4 counties within tolerance (Gwinnett, Fayette, DeKalb, Fulton)
    • 4 counties NOT in tolerance (Cobb, Clayton, Henry, Spalding)
  • Phase 1 potentially by 1 Jul if trend continues – will work w/other SD Marshal’s & Kingdom Earl Marshal on reopening plan for martial activities
  • We will be required to keep lists of people that attend activities.
  • We still have a lot of unanswered questions
  • The Marshals will be meeting again to hash out some of the questions

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Same as above.
  • My take on a lot of the unknowns is that they are known. We have guidelines we have to adhere to.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • I need to spend $90-110 + S&H for new loaner arrows. This would get us 36 arrows (3 full quivers, 6 sets for Royal Rounds), & is a great price for them.
  • We need to build new target stands but have no idea yet how much they’ll cost because lumber is so expensive. 
  • We need to figure out the parameters for phasing archery back in since it’s a combined practice for both SD and ON (and takes place on ON land). Also mine & Ben’s zip code is for Bryn Madoc; my Deputy Shawn/Conner has a Sol Haven zip code; how does this affect restarting archery practice?

Reeve (La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • We have money.
  • No new business.

Quartermaster (Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • We have stuff.
  • I’m going to be going to the storage facility on the 12th to straighten up and count. I haven’t been there for about a month.
  • I’ll be getting with Wistric and find out the inventory list.
  • Lindsey offered to be my deputy so I wanted to run that by the officers to see what they thought. I hate paperwork so if she could do that it would be cool. (She’s willing to do it)

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • We don’t have a ton of new people
  • One or two people have posted in the FB group in the last month.
  • Walter has stepped down as my deputy. Cellach will be taking over as my deputy. She’s got a lot of ideas.
    • Thank you, Lily, for the financial acceptability class. It was amazing.
    • I would like to talk about transportation for new people. I would like to work on a “I need transportation help” form. This could be for meetings or events. We have talked about having people that have been background checked to be in the carpool list. I need some feedback on if it should be online (Google Form) or on paper (potential for getting lost).
      • There was a long discussion about background checks. It will be looked at further.
    • Moving forwards, I would like to create videos for newcomers.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I get to finally start preparing for demos again.
  • I’ve emailed a few places.
  • Atlanta Pride is going to be the last weekend of Gulf Wars. Do we still want to try to do a demo?
  • I am looking for local festivals that I can contact about getting us tables.
  • Before the meeting today, we were discussing contacts at colleges. If anyone has contacts in colleges, please let me know. We would like to get things going in colleges again. I’m going to be looking to do a day-long demo for schools in the Fall or Winter.
  • I’m always interested in any diversity events you can think of. I am looking for more makers events.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have A&S
  • We need teachers for RUM. 
  • There are some interesting events coming up.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • We have classes for the rest of the year. 
  • I may need an alternate class for October but we have time to plan that.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • We have words.
  • I would like to request that the Barony officers email me their updates for the meeting. I don’t think a lot of people don’t realize how fast you talk and how hard it is to keep up. There’s also spelling of certain names and such. It would really help me a lot to have it in advance.
  • I am looking for a deputy. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr

  • We have social media- we’ve gained about a dozen followers on IG, 7 on Twitter, and had several new people join our Facebook group.  
  • You might have noticed we changed our FB group to private per society recommendations that seems to have gone over well.  
  • And finally, in collaboration with Margavati- we’re celebrating pride month! I’ve changed over some of our photos and graphics in honor of this month.  We will begin doing some more celebration posts as well!

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • Hello! Happy Pride Month!
  • We were supposed to have a class on female fighters, but it’s pride month!
  • We have an out of kingdom teacher that’s teaching trans 101. I’m super bad with names though. There’s a graphic that’s been posted. We will be talking about what it means to be transgendered and trans in the SCA.
  • I would love to feature more pride content. If you have a really cool period story about a figure that we could feature, that would be great. We would love to show off what our barony knows.
  • I still do not have any patterns for our beginner garb project. Please send it to the DEI email.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Updated Nikoslav’s profile: Added Senechal

  • Updated Juliane’s profile: removed Senechal
  • Updated the Seneschal’s page: added Nikoslav as Seneschal. 
  • Removed THL Juliane de Vivonne from the People of South Downs per her request.
  • Fixed the Official Email address for Lady Mairghread and Captain Brendan’s Pages. 
  • Added Burning Trumpet to the honors section of Master Lorenzo’s page. 
  • Added all of Kál-Bárðr’s Awards to the honors section of his page. 
  • Added Corona Graita to the honors section of Her Excellency’s page. 
  • Requested email address from kingdom for the Demo deputy. 
  • Updated the Chatelaine’s page: to add the demo deputy’s email address. 
  • The fowaders for @Atlantasca.org to the new email addresses were shot down by Kingdom. Would everyone look at the website and see if I missed any of the @Atlantasca.org so we are up to date. 
  • Created a Social Media Officer Author account on the website. Helped Isabella get logged in. 
  • His Excellency Wistric setup the redirect from Atlantasca.org to southdowns.meridies.org.
  • Kingdom is giving us a new website URL southdowns.meridies.org 
  • I would like to ask for approval from the Barony to keep the site redirected from Atlantasca.org to southdowns.meridies.org until July 1 2022 our other option is July 1 2021.
  • All website content was copied to the new website on 5/19/2021
  • Removed Emelina’s access from the website.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We don’t have much.
  • We are looking forward to getting together.
  • Please put in your bids for Red Tower.

SCA Business

  • None

The business meeting was closed @ 2040.

The next business meeting will be held on 02 June 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.