September 2018 Baronial Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

5 September 2018, 7:30pm

Little Tree Studios

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Officer Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Nothing new to report
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • Regional practice this Sunday (9 September 2018) will be a melee practice, hosted by Sir Gelleys
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • The last practice (August) went well
    • We will have a new live weapons marshal in the Barony after Foxes (Conner O’Dell)
    • Please check the Facebook group, South Downs/Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Practice to track upcoming practices.
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Practices. We are still having them (even without Brendan) Sunday afternoons at Brook Run Park, concurrent with armored. Tuesday evening practices at 7pm have gone back to Blackburn Park in Brookhaven. We’re averaging 2-12 people. For updates regarding rapier practices, go to the Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook group.
    • Brendan thanked all those who stepped up to run practices when he (Brendan) had work conflicts.
    • His Excellency and Lady Zhelana authorized in rapier recently (yay!).
    • Her Excellency is looking for stalwart fencers to fight on her behalf in the 5-person melee tournament at Foxes. If interested, please contact her as soon as possible.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • We have had three newcomers and 1 transfer join us at recent meetings or events
    • Dragon Con 2019:
      • Justina volunteered at the alternate history track
      • She also spoke with the person in charge of the track about volunteering again next year and brought up that she was with SCA, and he commented that the SCA was not (yet) represented! She will keep in touch with them and when they wrap up 2018 they will put us on the list for 2019 panels.
      • This is a good opportunity for a demo where anyone working the panel wouldn’t have to sit at a booth in a corner to interact with Con attendees, but can present our information in the context of a class/panel (1 hour)
    • If you have borrowed any Gold Key, please return to Justina as soon as possible. Thanks!
    • Gold Key database is now available
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • Mistress Sunneva was out sick, Master Wistric reporting
    • We have arts *and* sciences, and that is good
    • Lady Zhelana taught last month’s class on celtic knotwork
    • This month’s class, Research Tools and Methods, will be taught by Lady Alisandre
    • Reminder: Sunneva has made a schedule for all of 2018 as a Google Docs spreadsheet so you (yes, you!) can sign up to teach a class at one of our monthly A&S nights. She is pleased to report we have classes scheduled through most of the rest of the year; there is also a list in development for alternate/back up classes, so even if there are no specific dates available, please sign up!
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • We have money! Yay!
    • $7,635.52 in the bank, $5,161.01 including outstanding checks.
    • We did receive a check from Kingdom for $21.82 for Gulf Wars volunteer hours, that Andreva will deposit soon.
    • She announced that she had the checkbook with her in case anyone needed reimbursement for event expenses.
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff! Yay!
    • Next Saturday (15 September) we’ll begin to re-inventory the storage shed in anticipation of the fall event season
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Updates to profile pages
      • Aidan Mackay: added photo from George Hunter
      • Brendan de Hay: added photo from George Hunter
      • Charlie MacNeill: added photo from George Hunter
      • David Twynham: added links to his YouTube channel and his new book
      • Eyba Larsdottir: added link to her new book
      • Jarec Markov: created new profile page
      • John of Ean Airgead: added photo from George Hunter
      • Juliane: added registered badge
      • Jurgen der Vielfrass: updated his name
      • Mairghread Wilson: added photo from George Hunter
      • Mara: added registered badges, Live Weapons Marshal, Baronial Archery Champion titles
      • Mark de Wytteney: added photo from George Hunter, added device
      • Mathias: added registered badges
      • Morgan Ironheart: added photo from George Hunter
      • Morgana Bellachose: created new profile page
      • Myndee of South Downs: updated her name
      • Nikon Davidowicz: created new profile page
      • Piers Simmons: added photo from George Hunter
      • Pietro di Conti: added photo from George Hunter
      • Quintus Valerius Gracchus: created new profile page
      • Ruqayah: updated device
      • Stella di Silvestri: added her alternate name (Seong Myeong-su) and badge
      • Svala Thorfinnsdottir: created new profile page
      • Ximon Martillo de Cordoba: added photo from George Hunter, “How to watch a Rapier Fight” to class list
    • If you don’t want your photo on your profile page, or if you have a different picture for you or your device that you’d prefer, let me know!
    • Added 2 group photos from Dragoncon – feel free to send more
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Nothing to report
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • We have a barony! Yay!
    • Talked to StreetsAlive – the next one will be held the weekend of 30 September, which conflicts with MGT (Meridian Grand Tournament), so it is unlikely we will be able to take part. This is the last StreetsAlive for 2018 – maybe we can take part next year?
  • Their Excellencies
    • It was great seeing everyone at DragonCon, although they were sad because Sebastiannos didn’t have anyone to play with during the parade (lol)
    • Red Tower is coming soon! Will discuss further later in the meeting

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (5-7 October 2018), Lady Veronica reporting
    • Everything is moving along well, all volunteer positions seem to be filled
    • We don’t yet have anyone to do a fundraiser lunch – this isn’t necessary, so we’re not worried. Lucien mentioned that some of the local groups have expressed interest in hosting a fundraiser lunch
    • There will be a sponsored revel which is being planned – ideas, volunteers, performers, etc are welcome. Talk to Veronica, Zoe, or Lyman (?) if interested
    • Maybe fundraiser lunch for revel funds? Donations also helpful
    • Reservations are trickling in
    • The Courtesans of Meridies are teaming up with House Broken Heart and the Salty Alliance at the 21+ only revel
  • Castle Wars (15-18 November 2018), Lady Juliane reporting
    • Site has been paid – yay!
    • Insurance certificate should be received in the next day or two
    • Duchess Ysmay mentioned that HRH wants to do her Rose Ball at Castle Wars on Saturday
      • Can we do the disco party after the ball? Friday night? Funds have already been raised for the disco party, so we want to use it at Castle Wars
    • Be on the lookout for memes to start up again
    • Stella mentioned that if you are planning to camp with South Downs, make sure you specify that when you register
    • Knowne Worlde Courtesans will be hosting their first salon during Castle Wars, at the edge of the South Downs camp. If anyone has a courtesan-theme class – does not have to be adult-themed (although it *can* be), it can be something like a class on etiquette or fashion for example, we have space for you at the Salon. Contact Justina if you are interested in being a part of the Salon
    • Wistric mentioned that we have been discussing upping the bling for our campsite, starting with Castle Wars – we’re looking for ideas
    • Stella suggested ropes and stakes for camp perimeter
  • Midwinter A+S (9 February 2019), Lady Alisandre reporting
    • Still waiting to hear from University of West Georgia to schedule their spring classes so our site can be finalized. We are confident that the reservation will go through without problems

Other SCA Business

  • We will be taking part at next year’s Anachrocon (16 February 2019). This year’s theme is “The Time Travelers’ Ball,” so we have pretty free rein with garb, demos, etc.
  • Stella is looking to find someone to take over as DragonCon contact for the parade and the fan table
  • Justina reminded everyone that the Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild is sponsoring a “naughty scribal challenge” at Coronation. In addition, Justina is sponsoring a prize for the Best Use of A Poisonous Pigment, so get your projects going!
  • The Knowne Worlde Courtesans Guild podcast is live, baby! Justina is one of the podcast’s field reporters. She said they are looking for interviews, stories, poetry and other cultural aspects of SCA life. The podcast will be a digital salon hosted by the courtesans of the Knowne World Courtesans Guild and featuring artisans of historical arts from across the world. Tune in for intelligent discussion of history, re-enacting the pre-1600s world, and news of the Society. If you are interested in talking about your art, please contact Justina and she will be happy to chat with you!

Non-SCA Business

  • None

After the meeting was closed, the populace went to vote for the upcoming Baronial awards: the men voted for the Heart of South Downs, the ladies for the Chivalry award.

PLEASE NOTE: Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 3 October 2018, at the Doraville Civic Center, 3770 Central Avenue, Doraville, GA. We will meet at the usual time, Wednesday 7-9pm.